Internet censorship

Hi I'm thinking about moving to Vietnam,

But I'm worried about how much the internet is censored in Vietnam. What is the experience like for Vietnamese people and what is it like living there as an expat.

Is it easy for example to visit foreign news sites? or go to places where you can download content.

Hi j.keats,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies to your queries soon.

As far as I can tell from my 5 visits to Viet Nam, for a total of 11 weeks, there is no problems with accessing the internet.  This is in contrast with a 1 week visit to China where I could not log on to my email account.

Internet is ok. Some things are blocked. Like facebook. I have always been able to access my home news paper websites.

I get everything here that I could get in America except Facebook.  However, if I use the desktop computer here at the house I can still access it at times. I did connect my Facebook account with my Yahoo account and I am able to see some posts from my friends. I did this before coming over.  As well as post some comments.  I can still get Myspace.  The bad thing about that is not many of my friends still use it.

i nearly had a heart attack when i first arrived in HCMC in march n realised to my HORROR tat facebook is BLOCKED... but... (wink ..wink..)...  goggle n yahoo is still ok ... anyway do b prepared.. u nvr know when they will block ur fav site...

Facebook is no longer block if you use Viettel Internet. I have a tip, go to Bing.com, search Facebook and click into Facebook link, then you can acess FB without having to install any software :)

About the internet, you can find it anywhere, in the coffee shop, hotel and even public internet serviced such as Shop and Go at 5000VND per hour so don't worry about it

Best regards

My facebook was blocked and a VN friend got me onto this site. I can access FB anytime now when I open this downloaded file. ultrareach.com