River Rock Floor Tile - is it available?

Has anyone seen tile like this anywhere in the country?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NZ0AAOSwnJZZleO-/s-l300.jpg

https://highshower.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Pebble-Shower-Floor-Pros-and-Cons.png?ezimgfmt=ng:webp/ngcb1

I have not seen pebbles or guijarros being sold at the various places in Santo Domingo where they sell different rock types for flooring like km 12 on Duarte or Avenue Sanchez in Haina.

But there is an abundance of pebbles of different hues and sizes to be found on the pebble beaches south of Barahona so there must be sources.

For a bathroom you would not need so many and whilst there are enviromental laws for extracting rocks and pebbles from river valleys, I would have hoped a few bags of selected beach pebbles would not be an issue.

Perhaps a good reason to justify a sight seeing trip to the south west?

A quick google and you can forget collecting beach pebbles.

https://m.cdn.com.do/nacionales/luego-d … e-piedras/

Earlier this year people were being prosecuted for taking and selling pebbles at Los Patos and Enriquillo.

We have three showers that we want to use this tile on the floors.

Deleted

I have stayed in a hotel with a pebble floor shower and I am trying to remember where. It was hand laid and not a mosaic. I found it a bit uncomfortable.

There is a black pebble mosaic shown on La Ibericas website in SD. You are probably looking fo a mosaic.

I am sure if you visited the interior designer showrooms in central SD you would find what you want.

https://laiberica.com.do/productos/deco … /#group-12

Thanks Lennox - that one is flat. I'm looking for the one with variable size stones. It's like a foot massage while you shower! We had it in our house in Charlotte and loved it.

We'll be hitting several of the design showrooms in the next few weeks, but would gladly make a special trip to one if someone had spotted the tile there.

Our builder said they could just set stones in the cement floor, and then a local tile shop said they could attach stones to the mesh backing for us, but I'd rather get the pre-made for consistency!

Just to note (because I've gotten quite a few PMs from people), we had these in our house in the US for 10 years. They were just as easy to keep clean as any other stone tile and they feel amazing on your feet!

I have this type of shower floors in both of my condo's in Cabarete.  They were built several years ago.  The only problem I find is that they do hold little pools of water after the shower.  I just keep a broom in the shower corner to sweep it out when finished.  Very beautiful!!!!

sberger50 wrote:

I have this type of shower floors in both of my condo's in Cabarete.  They were built several years ago.  The only problem I find is that they do hold little pools of water after the shower.  I just keep a broom in the shower corner to sweep it out when finished.  Very beautiful!!!!

Did you buy the tile locally?

I totally agree. We installed them in our shower 2 years ago and just love them. They're as easy to clean as any other tile floor and they are so comfortable to stand on in the shower.

My condo's are not new, but about 10 years old.  Of course the showers were built then.  I do not know where the builder bought these products and not sure they are still available. Good luck finding it.

colmcb wrote:

I totally agree. We installed them in our shower 2 years ago and just love them. They're as easy to clean as any other tile floor and they are so comfortable to stand on in the shower.

Was that here in DR? if so, where did you find the tile?

No, unfortunately not in the DR. It's in our home here in South Florida. I was just agreeing with you that they are very nice under your feet in the shower. And, not hard to clean.

Yes, I've seen woman selling pre sorted river rock in the towns of Bararuco and ciénega

My builder says yes, he can get it. Not sure where as I was/am ready to buy here in Canada and bring with me for where I want to use in my house...

Are you in the Dominican Republic? Do you have showrooms here? If not, this isn't much help!