Taking household items from the UK

I live in the UK and want to take things to my second home in portugal.
the last time i went (july i have to pay Customs in Spain) when i got off the boat)
is there any easier way to get my items across to Portugal without paying €1000 to Spanish or Portuguese Authorities.

if i have to pay for used items to be taken to the house there is there any simpler way
please help

Have you looked at going from Ireland as most of the UK Supermarkets in Portugal are using that route?

But I'm in london and i get on the ferry in Plymouth. How does that work Ireland?

Tina29_ wrote:

But I'm in london and i get on the ferry in Plymouth. How does that work Ireland?

Its all because of Brexit and Ireland is still in the EU.

Sorry but when i travel i dont have an address in Ireland so how can that be.
I will be travelling in a van. My address is uk london

Take ferry from nearest port to London to Ulster.
Drive down to Eire and take ferry from there.
No checks between Northern and Southern Ireland.
Southern Ireland is in EU...so then moving items within EU.
No idea of what ferries or costs, sorry.
Or if smaller items maybe post via Parvel2Go.

Thanks but thats definitely not an option
I there anyone that know abouts the rules or regulations of taking things abroad from uk the gov.co.uk is not clear

slugsurmamates wrote:

Take ferry from nearest port to London to Ulster.
Drive down to Eire and take ferry from there.
No checks between Northern and Southern Ireland.
Southern Ireland is in EU...so then moving items within EU.
No idea of what ferries or costs, sorry.
Or if smaller items maybe post via Parvel2Go.

Even Northern Island is still in the Customs Market.

Tina29_ wrote:

Thanks but thats definitely not an option
I there anyone that know abouts the rules or regulations of taking things abroad from uk the gov.co.uk is not clear

Then sorry you have to pay customs charges.

At the moment it is a bit of a free for all with bringing stuff into Southern Europe with Spanish and Portuguese Customs basically making it up as they go. There are a few articles about it online and peoples experiences here mirror these either physically bringing items in or shipping items from the UK. If it was me I would go Pembroke to Rosslare and then Rosslare to Bilbao and avoid the hassle. Irish customs seem more sensible and I haven't heard of any issues from people coming this way or via Northern Ireland. Another option would be to talk to a shipping service like Algarve Removals (or similar) and let them quote you and ask them about their recent experiences. Anyway, best of luck with whatever option you choose.

I just had a container brought from the USA and it was a disaster only because of the shipping company not helping me with the process. Told me I needed to be in the US to get my baggage certificate but also in Portugal to get my residence certificate then after going through Bordr to get my NIF I wasn't told that the POA that you sign so the fiscal rep gets the number has to be cancelled.  Because of this and the landlord not registering our lease with the tax office, I then had to get an attorney so she could have a close college help get my NIF registered to my home address so that I didn't have to wait until December for my SEF appt in order to obtain my residence permit. So from the 6th of Aug my container sat and I just paid €2000 to get it hopefully delivered today.  The company I hired from the USA seemed to just stop emailing me after I paid and contracted the vendor here who then contracted another broker out.  He now wants me to pay another €250 due to the inspection fee from customs and for the truck waiting yesterday after I paid ( he never confirmed) so he's charging me for that time. He also told me I had to send my original passport/visa and I've not gotten that back yet ( I made him give me the tracking info from his broker)  I emailed the owner, and manager of RSS and still no one has emailed me back!   Does anyone know if customs charges for the inspection?  On the invoice he sent yesterday, I was charged for the days the container sat but also for some charges from customs but he's claiming there is an inspection charge.

Tina29_ wrote:

I live in the UK and want to take things to my second home in portugal.
the last time i went (july i have to pay Customs in Spain) when i got off the boat)
is there any easier way to get my items across to Portugal without paying €1000 to Spanish or Portuguese Authorities.

if i have to pay for used items to be taken to the house there is there any simpler way
please help

Hi Tina, Welcome :)

I don't know if this helps:

Importing Personal Goods
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 16#5064099
(Posts #3 & #4)

Caseymsmj wrote:

... Because of this and the landlord not registering our lease with the tax office...

Hi Caseymsmj,
Please read this:

Lease Contract
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 93#5075338
(Post #11) 4. Legalizing rental agreement