Looking for suggestions

I'm 35 years old and a US Army veteran. I served in Afghanistan and was medically retired.
I'm moving to the Dominican Republic in November 2021. I'm struggling as to where I should rent an apartment. I've never been to the northern part of the country. I want to be in a good area that has a bit of everything and will allowed me to have a balance lifestyle. Thanks for your help and input. 

-Edwin Zorrilla

Edwin, you have lots of options. I live in Puerto plata.  Its great, lots of expats and veterans. Feel free to reach ut and I will help you however I can .
Dr. Gary Deutchman

Hi Edwin,  Thanks for your service.  Like you, I am also a US Army Veteran currently living in Florida and planning to move to DR in the next 2 years.  We purchased a new apartment in the Punta Cana area that is currently being built.  We're suppose to close on it by Mid 2022.  I don't know much about the north side.  I do know there are a number of VA Medical Friendly facilities in Santo Domingo and Santiago.  There may be some in the Puerto Plata area.  Check the VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) so you understand how it can help you.  If there is anything I can help you with, please reach out. 

Good Luck!!  Victor

Thank you sir!

Hello, in that case not knowing anything, I would advise you on Google to search for real estate such as: Re / Max.com or pages like "Mercado Libre República Dominicana", "Corotos.com" (they are in Spanish, you only translate) you are looking for thema Inmuebles, You give clip rent or buy, you see your same price, comforts and to your liking it best suits you

I wish you luck

Arelis J.

My suggestion would be to visit a few areas on the north coast. I would spend at least a week at each. Las Terrenas, Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata. Each one is different. For example, Las Terrenas has more European expats but in my opinion has the most beautiful beaches and some great restaurants. The real estate can be more pricey there. Cabarete is great if you are into water sports like surfing, kite surfing or wind surfing. Sosua has some unique beaches and more of a party atmosphere in town but also has some great restaurants and expat communities outside the town. Each one has their pluses and minuses and only by spending some time at each one can you determine which is right for you.

Hey Edwin!  I just bought two condo's in the Cabarete area for several reasons.  Dollars go much farther with property, smaller town with lots of potential.  Big resorts not here yet!  With a little travel you can find anything you need within an hour.  Not as busy as most places.  North coast resistant to Hurricanes.  You can walk almost anywhere, with good grocery store.  Takes time to do things here, so have patience.  Learn Spanish!!

Finding your right place depends on many factors!  If you can, travel to several places and stay in an air bnb.  Check them out for yourself.

There is no 1 right place for everyone.  Each place has its pros and cons.  Get clear on what's needed and important to you. Also consider your budget.
Then start checking!

Lots of great ideas here already.

Greetings Brother - there are a fair number of Veterans residing here in the DR. Many are from the USA, some from other countries like Britain, Germany Canada and perhaps others. As a 35 yr Cdn Veteran, I reside in the interior in Moca. others have said, you have to experience the areas to feel where the best fit is. Even if my wife had not been from Moca, I would not reside near the tourist areas or big cities. I think I'm pretty safe in saying that most everything - except gas - is less expensive away from such areas, as you are likely aware. We are about a 90 minutes drive form Sosua/Cabarete which makes for a nice escape every so often to get to the beach and even better to an Expat gathering.....when they start again....officially. It was about a 2 1/2 hr drive to Las Terrenas which was very nice. The interior is pretty nice with  much to offer - all depends what strikes your fancy brother! Welcome and good luck

I am in the exact same boat as you my friend and I traveled all over the country and discovered that the most relaxing and truly tranquil place,  northcoast in a town called cabarete. Trust me you cannot go wrong you have everything you need in town the grocery store delivers so it's a win-win for every aspect of your life. If you have any questions just let me know

Thank you for all your help and input. I decided to rent a place in Sosua to start this journey. I rented the place for a month through a friend that has family there. During that month will explore and see where I want to settle in. Again, thank you so much!

-Edwin

Great idea! We love Sosua. You will hear stories. And some are true. But it's no different than other cities in that regard.

Sosua is walkable. Great beaches, several grocery stores and colmandos. Casual and upper scale restaurants. Seahorse Ranch and Hispaniola restaurants are both nice with beautiful views. And check out the Haitian museum top of the hill behind the Playero. Traffic is crazy. But, it's crazy all over.

Sosua is close to Cabarete. Make sure and go to the beach there and check out the kites. Cabarete Kite Point kite boarding school is great. The owner's name is Tracy. They have Latin Dance Night on Fridays.The beach vendors in Cab can be very persistent. Just smile, be nice, and politely decline. Or, we just pick one and tell them we will deal with them when we are ready to leave for the day.

We have a friend who is also a good realtor. She covers the entire north coast should you need a recommendation.

Enjoy!!!