Looking to make a move

Hi All  - Ever since i was a young lad on my first holiday to Ibiza i have always had a desire to live abroad. Now 54 i have decided i want to sell up homes and business in the UK and take the plunge.

However only half of me is ready to slow down... the other is interested in starting a business wherever i locate.  I think my preference of location would be the Balearic's but not sure i would get the same year round weather - as Andalusia or Valencia.

I have recently separated therefore planning to relocate solo... I'm hoping i will be able to meet like minded people on the site particularly those who are already living in Spain and can offer various elements of advice and assistance - also those who are intending to make the move as i am.

Morning David,

With regards of the weather, the best one is in Andalusia, followed by Valencia. Balearics have great weather too, but winters can be cold.

If you're looking for UK expat communities, I think the biggest ones are located in Alicante and Malaga.

It should be complicated for you to get the Spanish settlement, as far as I understood from other Brits living here -although not sure if they started the process after or before Brexit.

In case you need profesional help, I know a company dealing with employees relocated to Spain, I guess they also work for individuals. Just let me know and I'd put you two in contact.

Regards,

Hi Thanks for your reply - i did think that the Islands would be a little colder in the winter. i do like Andalusia and have regularly stayed in Cala-Honda  and Marbella but i am sure it has far more picturesque places.

Yes i have noted that the settlement process is rather complicated so may be good if you know someone - where in spain are you.

I'm living in Andalusia for the last few years; 4 years in Malaga, in Cádiz this 2021-although I am in Malaga quite often.

Let me ask my colleague -the one that knows this company. I'll let you know in the coming hours -if not today, tomorrow morning the latest!

Hi

I am from the UK originally living in sevilla and have recently acquired all of all documentation so if you need any free advice let me know !!

H i thanks for this i would really appreciate some guildance.

Thx Dave

Morning!

The details of the company (and rep.) I told you are as follows:

Mari Carmen Ampiée Vigil
landline - ( 34) 951 743 004
mobile - ( 34) 681 902 828
www.malagahomeworking.com
mcampiee@malagahomeworking

Regards

I am interested in making a move as well and any advice on the process of documents would be very helpful. Thanks 👍

Dave let me know how to contact you directly

Hi Joe, you sound just the person i need to talk too lol, i am uk resident wanting to move to spain alwasys fancied sevilla actually, can i purchase the spain property online while in uk, as i cant get to spain to go view, i have pets and cant leave them for a week or so it would take, im on my own so no one can do.  Also joe what papers do i need to have to purchase a home in spaine ie from uk, id and other. and as i am a pensioner will they exept i just have my weekly pension as income, and i imagine they need some savings in thebank if so how much is required.   Iv been told i need to apply for a elective visa if retired ? just dont know much to tell you the truth so i was delighted when i saw you used to live in uk and moved to spain.
thank you joe nice to meet you
kind regards
Anne

Hi! I'm in the same position so I will follow this with interest. I'm thinking Almeria? My specific issues around a move are finding good vets who speak English as I am a non driver! Don't want to live in a busy town but not all villages have a vet, so.........also, I will require a PPP licence as I have a Staffordshire bull terrier! You say you have dogs? I have no idea how big they are but....I believe any dog over 25kg also needs and is supposed to have this licence and there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get it, CRB check, physical and psychological tests and an animal health certificate from your Spanish vet. All in Spanish! You also need public liability insurance of between 120,000 to 300,000 euros a year for each dog, if large or PPP (potentially dangerous dogs!) and must walk them muzzled and on a short non extendable leash in public-always. The police may also visit your home to ensure you have dangerous dog signs and a 2m high fence around your property. Then you have to buy the licence from your local town hall and register your dogs within 1-3 months of arrival in Spain. You must also have the right certification and rabies jabs prior to leaving Britain too, to be able to get into and through France or Spain at their border entry points. It's essential to have your dogs vaccinated against Leish too, as sandfly bites can infect and kill your dogs all too easily. Like you, I can't easily get over to Spain to view so the online sales thing and power of attorney is of interest to me. As I would want to move permanently and fund it all through the sale of my UK home, I would have to live in Spain on a non lucrative visa, which means no work allowed at all, so.......proving you have sufficient income in savings matters more than ever now, due to Brexit? I think it's gone up from around 6000 euros per year to 25.000 euros....hmmm! Will have to buy a VERY cheap house in Spain! Plus, you need fully comprehensive private health insurance with no excess/no co-payments for the first year if not working and not contributing to the Spanish national insurance system, before you can join their scheme for around 60 euros a month, although they recommend you keep some private on top for dental etc, which is usually private in Spain? This must be paid in full too, no instalments possible. Your NIE can be obtained from a few regional centres in the UK (you have to visit by appointment) and your application for whichever residency visa you require too. You need this NIE to be able to open a bank account and buy a house, get electricity bills in your name, buy certain items etc. I won't be able to draw my very basic state pension for another 14 years as well. Any good estate agent in Spain will advise you on all of the above and don't forget to add 10-15% to your buying budget to cover property transfer fees, land registry fees, notary fees, solicitor fees, surveyor and agent fees etc! And check any duplex, villa or apartments you consider allow dogs on the complex and which and where on beaches you can take your dogs to!  Thanks to all in advance for all help and advice given! I need loads of it! Cath xx

Hi Anne drop me an email at *** and I would be happy to share all the hard lessons I have learnt. Also happy to zoom/Skye/what's app etc

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dave do you want to chat over Skype/zoom etc

Hi Will do weekend or early next week working in London from tomorrow for rest of this week.