Student Pass Appeal

My daughter's student's pass application got rejected recently as she was starting her MBA courses in the same university she completed her undergraduate degree. She turned 21 this year which made her lose DP status. Initially, she got student's pass for 4 months to complete bridging courses for MBA. Now that she needed to reapply for student's pass to move up to MBA, ICA rejected it without giving reason. We have submitted a letter of appeal via the university but are afraid of the outcome.

Q1: Does anyone know how appeals work in ICA? If it is rejected again, is there a chance to re-appeal and can it be done in ICA office? I do not know if the school is doing everything to help the students in this matter. :(

Q2: Also, I am concerned that her current STVP will expire before ICA provides the decision for the appeal. I have no idea about STVP extensions since my daughter has been studying here since high school and we've never experienced this before. Do we get only 30 days?

Q3: Does it make sense to hire a professional immigration consultant for this kind of case?  I googled such and found only PR related consultants.

I hope someone can give me some advice or words of encouragement.  Thank you.

Q1: On this forum, we mostly encounter work pass applicants and can advise well on dealings with MoM - less so with ICA. In general, you can of course appeal against a rejection, but if the underlying case doesn't change, the result will also remain the same. So I would try to find out, from ICA or MoE, what the actual rejection reasons are.
Q2: Again, our experience here (with MoM) might not apply for ICA-issued STVPs. Call them and ask if and how it can be extended!
Q3: Singapore authorities do generally not like dealing with consultants. In addition, the formalities are easy enough to be done by yourself. So don't waste your money on one!
It would also be nice if you come back and post our findings and results here, so we ca advice the next poster better. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this response. I will let you know what happens in order to help other queries you may encounter.

I was able to successfully get our STP Approval Appeal. Several things we did to make this happen including writing a very solid letter of appeal trying to cover all possible points of why the application was rejected in the first place. Another is seeking help from MOE for consideration.

I am not sure if the success can be attributed to the combination of efforts but am just so happy that it worked.

Prior to this, the other issue we dealt with was the expiration of STP before the appeal decision was received. We overcame this by simply walking in ICA and asking for support carrying only a letter from the school certifying that we have an appeal in progress. :)

Congratulations, you seem to have done everything right!

Hi can i check i the student pass appeal result is sent to you or the school?

Ideally it should be via the school. But in this case, the ICA response was sent to me - the mom. I think it was because I also sent a request for help to the MOE's office and they referred my letter to ICA.

Hi, are you able to share the direct contact probably an email or contact number you liaised with MOE to ask for their assitance? Appreciate it so much! thank you

How long did the appeal process take? Is there a way to track the application?

@JenAb Hi morning,

We are planing to appeal our son STP rejection. Would like to clarify that do we need all docs same as student pass application.?  Or just type a reason for appeal .?

Please advice 🙏Thanks .
@JenAb Hi morning,

We are planing to appeal our son STP rejection. Would like to clarify that do we need all docs same as student pass application.?  Or just type a reason for appeal .?

Please advice 🙏Thanks .
- @sakthivel1605
  Do we need to attach all docs same as student pass application submission.?
Sakhtivel: No need to submit the same documents twice - they are stored in the system and easily available to any processing officer. What you need to do is address (i.e. remove) the rejection reason. If you don't know it yet, you must find it out first!
Hi beppi,
Thanks for reply. We appealed ICA for STP rejection.Hopefully will get positive result. Thanks
Sakthivel: For the benefit of future readers in a similar situation, could you please describe what the rejection reason was in your case and what you did against it?
Hi beppi,
ICA didn't given reason of rejection but we wrote appeal letter with solid reason why need to keep here our kid in STP.?.

Reason for keep kid here may vary case by case. Not exactly know how ICA valid this for approve.?

Thank you.
Hello Friends
My daughter's STP for K1 is rejected. I have wrote to school if they received any reason for rejection from ICA.
So that I shall proceed with appeal.
Please guide me in appealing procedures.
Thank you.
Jawahar: Appealing without knowing and addressing (i.e. removing) the rejection reason is a waste of time.
@sakthivel1605
Hi may i know you appeal for Student pass.
Hi, my daughter's student pass is rejected for childcare, May I seek an advise on how to appeal.

@beppi Hi beppi, I am a PhD student in NTU but my IPA application has not been approved by ICA for almost three months. ICA asked me for an interview in 31th of the August. During the interview, they asked me about my family, my previous education experience, research direction, future plan and publications. But I cannot understand why they process my application for such a long time and the university is going to revoke my offer if I cannot get my IPA till 15th of the Spet. Could you give me some advice, who can I seek for help?

@sakthivel1605 sir, may I know how to do appeal? Which website maybe? Pls help

Sxia: I assume your student pass, not IPA, has been rejected? In that case you can appeal, but that ionly works if you have additional information that changes the rejection reason.

there is no way to influence the processing speed - it takes as long as it takes!

@beppi hi beppi, thanks. I went to ICA and talked with the officer for many times. They told me it was still processing. Please wait patiently. If it is rejected, why they don't tell me the result

@sxia002

Do you have to make an appointment first to talk head to head in ICA, or just go there?

Hey,

I'm an international student from Indonesia.

I got accepted to university in SG but my STP just got rejected.

A lot of people told me that ICA won't reveal why? But are there any way?

Is my step-father being a SG citizen has to do with anything?

And from the e-form student application, ICA ask to fill the financial status, but my agent said that it's not neccesary. Is that the problem?

Please help me, I'm starting the course soon.

Davis: It does no harm to call ICA and ask for the reasons - all they can do is decline to say.

We here can only speculate:

• Your Singaporean stepfather (did he adopt you?) could be the reason if they suspect you didn't get Singapore citizenship through him to avoid NS. If that is the case, forget about ever living in Singapore!
  • Of course you need to show that you can afford living and studying in Singapore (without income, as students are not allowed to work). This form is there for a reason. It is better to ditch the agent (they are seldom helpful and often a hindrance!) and do things yourself!

@Davis Kelvin What a coincidence ! I'm having the same exact trouble. I'm Indonesian, but my step-father is Singaporean and my application was just rejected !

@Alexander Wong

I had just sent my appeal letter and supporting docs, what about you?

@beppi

I have not been adopted, I sent the appeal letter and still waiting for the outcome for 4-6 weeks, hopefully my university can take it as a consideration.

Also, if my step-father want to adopt me, will I be able to live in singapore? What status will I gain PR or Citizen? Honestly  I have no problem doing NS. If we're doing the adoption, will I be able to study in Singapore?

Davis: When adopting minors, the child will acquire the new parents' nationality, but for adopted adults I am not sure. You better ask a lawyer!

Hello Davis,

You should follow beppi's advice and consult a lawyer.

Here is the list of recommendations that have been made for Lawyers in Singapore.

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi guys!!

I'm from Sri Lanka, my student application got rejected, I'm trying to make an appeal, please advise me how do I process it, do I need to go ICA in person? Or can I apply via mail?

most importantly I should get to know weather is there any separate application for appealing process or should we just write a mail to ICA by including the our details

please, get back to this massage…

thank you all, these kind of platforms are really priceless

@ashkarahmed96 I don't know how to submit an appeal (ask ICA!), but I can tell you that you first have to find out why you were rejected - and remove this cause. Just asking "Please look at it again!" without any changes to the application does not work with Singapore authorities!

hi i recently applied for a student pass in singapore but unfortunately it was rejected they stated that they are unable to approved my application.can i still appeal with my application?.

@Kristadel Tolaresa if you have any other supporting documents to appeal in your student pass yes can. U just need to send email to them regarding your appeal.

@catcherdream07 what kind of supporting documents i need to provide?.

@Kristadel Tolaresa its depends what documents you think it can help or they need regarding your student visa you can submit through email.. or you can try email them as well that you want to appeal.

Which college did you apply which course

Hello!

If anyone can please email a STP appeal format or an email you sent, It will be appreciated.

This is my Email - ***

Regards!

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Sir/ Madam

I am Chanchala. my student pass renewal was rejected. But my studies are still going on. My pass was rejected due to low attendance. Because my college is maintaining wrong attendance sheet for me. Can you please help me prepare a strong appeal letter?

Thank You