High risk pregnancy

Hi everyone,

I am having a high risk pregnancy and will be moving to the Netherlands from India in a couple of months.I am on continuous progesterone supplements here to save the pregnancy.Also I have high BP and gestational diabetes.Can someone please please help me to understand if progesterone is given in Netherlands and are high risk pregnancies handled well.Please help me by providing inputs

If you are pregnant are you sure you are even allowed to travel?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the moment there is a travel ban from India to the EU, so you won't be able to travel.

Assuming the ban is lifted in the future before you give birth, you should consider whether it's a good idea to travel anywhere, let alone halfway across the world, while you are in this condition.  I would seek medical advice and you should be aware that many airlines will not let you onboard the aircraft without a certificate of fit to fly from a doctor.

The next thing to consider is Medical Insurance - it's an absolute must in the Netherlands - you have to have it from day 1.  When you take it out, make sure it covers you for pregnancy and birth.  You need to register with a doctor to get any kind of treatment and you can't do that until you have registered with the local town hall and having received your BSN number, purchased your health insurance.

The last thing you should be aware of is the in the Netherlands, they do not treat pregnancy/birth as an illness; the majority of care is handled by the midwife and the majority of births are delivered at home by the midwife - they can be male and female.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team