Need info about home, school, business, job

Hi

1. With my family (Wife and 14 year son), I plan to shift Mauritius permanently within next 2-3 months.

2. Home
Please guide me by providing names of those areas/cities where I may get a home (ground floor) on rent without any fear of flood or hurricane.

3. School
My son needs admission in class 9th. He understands English but no French.
A. Please suggest some school names in that city/area.
B. Is my son eligible for free education?

4. Job/Starting My Consultancy Business/Business Advisor
I am good at Digital Marketing. I have experience of 12  countries. I plan to start working with few companies as their Business Growth Advisor, either on job or on project basis. In India, when I joined a company 3 years ago, their business was 2.6 Million INR. After my joining, I helped company's business to grow up to 36 Million within 3 years. More info about me available at linkedin.com/in/shammikapoor
A. I am ready to join any company as your working partner on profit sharing basis. If anybody interested, please let me know.
B. I am ready to help some clients in growing their business (any business). I can grow your business. Please let me know if anybody interested.

5. Anything else?
Please feel free to share whatever you wish to guide me. You are local people. You know a lots about Mauritius. I know nothing. Any information will be helpful for me.

Thanks & Regards

Shammi Kapoor

July4, 2021

Hello Shammi, welcome on board ^^

Please make sure you download and read the Mauritius Expat Guide. You will find all the information and guidelines you are looking for.

Now, reading your questions, it seems to me that you search is a bit scattered. The first thing that should be looked into, is your visa! As without visa, you won't be able to come here. As you have described briefly your professional experience, I would think that you are mostly keen on to looking for a job (occupation permit).

Pay particular attention to information provided on jobs and permits/visa in the above expat guide I linked in this post.

Area, school etc will not matter till you have not found a job as you will probably want to settle near the region you work.

All the best,
A

Dear A

1. Guide
Thanks for Mauritius Expat Guide. I have downloaded it and will go through it. Surely it will help me a lot.

2. Visa
I am planning to apply for OP (Investor) visa by investing money in Mauritius to open my own company there. So visa part is almost clear.

3. Other things
Other parts are not clear to me like school, home on rent etc. For that, I posted few questions. Being local person you can better guide me about those questions. Please help.

4. Job
I am open for a "Business Growth Advisor" job but that is something which is not advertised. It is something for which I need to potential client and let him understand as how I can be helpful to him. After understanding, client may offer me a part time job/consultancy basis job/or a project to my Mauritius company. If you know somebody (small or medium business owner), please connect me. I am very much open to start communication with all such possibilities.

Regards

Shammi
July5, 2021

Hello again Shammi,

Here is an interesting thread on public school : Government Schools

Child integration in school and school activities in very important. In public school, subjetcs such as french and english are taught, as far as languages are concerned.

People mostly communicate in creole outside classes. I would suggest that you enroll your kid in a private english medium school for better integration. He will be taught french as well but most importantly, he will be able to communicate with his peers and won't feel left out. Also, his overall grades won't be affected by his level in french (which might not be the case in public school).

By the way, how old is a 9th class student ?

Hi A

My son is 14 years old.

I checked and found private school fee is very expensive.

I was wondering if I may son is eligible to join any private school (with low fee) or any Government school (which I believe is free)?

Hi. you can check le bocage international school or other private schools but also u can admit him in a govt college for that u should apply at the ministry of education head office at phoenix with all papers to get a school where u r staying. if his secondary School results are really good he can enter the newly opened academy where boys n girls study.

Hi Happy Girl

Thanks for helping me.

I heard that there are many other Government Aided Private Schools which offer education for free or for low fee. I also found that Government schools offer it for free.

Is my son (being an Indian), eligible to get admission in these schools (with no fee)?

Hello

Since you will be relocating to stay permanently in Mauritius you should all papers and result slips of yr son and request for an admission in either a Primary Govt School or Roman Catholic Aided (R.C.A) primary school. both are free. you should request for an admission at the ministry of Education found at Phoenix by indicating which school you want n where you are living. example you live next to Jules Koenig Govt School in Beau Bassin you cannot ask for admission in a school in Quatre Bornes. you should stick to the region you are living in.

Another option is private primary schools where children speak English at school or french language. in govt schools children speak creole dialect.  your son will adapt in Mauritius whether in private school or govt schools because all children welcome new friends and we Mauritians always love having new people in our country.

If you love cold region Curepipe n forest side are coldest. Phoenix n Vacoas are cold regions Rose Hill is mild Beau Bassin is balanced n port Louis is hot region. seaside region which are good to stay are Tamarin Grand Baie Flic en Flac if you want to b by seaside. u can open any business you wish after applying for permits. If you are still in India ask all details from High Commission of Mauritius in India. Quite helpful there.

Be positive about everything.

Happy Girl

Dear Happy Girl

1. Thanks a lot for helping us with your knowledge.

2. We are considering Quatre Bornes to get a home (ground floor) for rent.
Reason 1- We feel it is central area.
Reason 2- We feel there is no Flood or Hurricane problem in this area.
Reason 3 - I can not use stairs because of health issue. Thus, opting for ground floor.

Is this information right that no flood in this area?

Is our decision right?

Which school (Govt, RCA) can we opt in Quatre Bornes?
Which private schools can we opt in Quatre Bornes?

3. Once again, I appreciate your efforts very much.

Regards

Shammi
July9, 2021

Orivate schools in Mauritius are not like in India. God the amount of deluded Mauritians here is astounding. Choose a good school like Loreto where you get in on Merit. Send to private school like Le Bocage and your kids will pass with 99% even if they are not good at studies. Ask any local where will they send their kids. Research properly as Mauritius schools are not like India.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for helping me.

From India, how should I find which school is good for my son?

I found that some schools are charging too high fee like 20,000 per month. It is beyond my capacity.

In India, I am paying Rs, 2,000 per month. I am seeking any English medium school in this range in Quatre Bornes area as my son does not know French.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks for offering me office space details. I am interested. Please share more details like facilities and charges/fee.