Impact on your Personal Freedom - Ecuador vs Country of Origin

in this thread: Covid in Ecuador I read the following thought-provoking statement. It brings up a good point.

antialiased wrote:

... Not sure what "personal freedoms" you think you are gaining by moving here, but might want to reconsider.

So, what impact has your move to Ecuador had on you personal freedoms? More freedom? How so? Less freedom? Why do you stay?

Little change in freedom, but if anything, less because of the language barrier. Why do I stay? Personal relationships, new challenge, I like it in Riobamba.  I am a volunteer with the orchestra and have many friends. I am very busy and have a rich life.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

-- Janis Joplin's chorus refrain from her posthumous top-of-the-charts cover (Kris Kristofferson was the songwriter) was inspirational for the Sixties Generation.  The hit tune was titled "Me and Bobby McGee."

Now, in the 2020's, the nothing-left-to-lose line may have meaning for Expats who relocate to South America.

Moved overseas -- sometimes after giving up 90 percent or more of their worldly possessions -- they may be uplifted by having nothing left to prove.

cccmedia in Quito

I'm on the email list of New York City-based healer Barbara Biziou (BEE-zhoo), whom I have known since decades ago when we were in DMA founder Robert Fritz's orbit on the USA East Coast.

Today I received a "freedom" poem from Barbara in honor of U.S. Independence Day....

I choose freedom to express my wildest dreams
I choose freedom to easily see the bigger picture of my life
I choose freedom to be the best version of me
I choose freedom to change and grow
I choose financial freedom
I choose emotional freedom...
I choose freedom to release the emotional limits of the past
I choose freedom to release anything that doesn't
    serve my highest good
I choose freedom to live in joy and love
I choose freedom to love

-- Barbara Biziou

She added:  "It feels great to have formally chosen freedom. 
What do you choose?  Then notice how it makes you feel."

-- cccmedia