Can you live in HCM city with 500-600k asset and never have to work?

I'm just tired of life in the US, it's too much with people fighting for everything (I know this is everywhere but in my HCOL it's worst than most places, the pace of life is just too fast).

I plan to just bounce to Vietnam in a few years, and see if I can make it out with just 500k of asset (401k + cash, I don't own any property).

Anyone have any ideas? I would assume that I get around 1.5k from my asset per month just based of the stock market/dividend ect... (that's roughly 18k a year) or around 3.6% annual growth.

I would never have to touch the principle, if the market do better, then I can get more, but I would assume around 3.5% interest per year.

I speak perfect Vietnamese, and read/write as well. I have relatives there. I've been able to visit it a few times the last 10 years and it seems fine to me, I think it's more lively than where I'm at right now, probably more fun as well, I just work and go home and get out on the weekends these days, it's very boring.

Just checking with all the expat on here if 1.5k is livable? or can I do it with 1k?

if you go the investor visa route then you need to bring in minimum 130-150k USD in to the country into some investment vehicle in order to apply. the government doesn't care about what your investments are outside of VN.

I'm not going in as an investor. I have a 5 years visa that I can do visa extension every 6 months. Just thinking if 1k or 1.5k a month is enough to live or not.

Its more than enough, my wife and I live on about 15 million a month. This is our living cost, not travel or medical. As a single person 1k is ample, that is unless you are a big drinker or eat out for all meals at expat places.

How far are you away from receiving ssn, thus, should further aid your monthly income?  In general, I would say yes depending on your lifestyle and personal needs.  PM me if you have further questions.

Clocky wrote:

I'm not going in as an investor. I have a 5 years visa that I can do visa extension every 6 months. Just thinking if 1k or 1.5k a month is enough to live or not.

You can have in-country extension every other 6 months, meaning you must leave the country once a year. A border run to Cambodia is what many non VEC holders did before COVID; most VEC holders travelled instead. If you decide to travel, then you'll need to take the extra expense into consideration.

Clocky wrote:

... Anyone have any ideas? I would assume that I get around 1.5k from my asset per month just based of the stock market/dividend ect... (that's roughly 18k a year) or around 3.6% annual growth.

Just checking with all the expat on here if 1.5k is livable? or can I do it with 1k?

1. @dionstravels is talking about an investment visa. I don't know about investment visas, I think it is off-topic for your question. FYI Vietnamese banks pay around 5% but I recommend new arrivals leave their money in their home banks. That's another long story.

2. Good news: your assumptions about stock dividend returns are very conservative. I encourage you to dig deeper and research the topic, it will pay off!  It took me over a month to sort it out. There are too many articles that promote companies. Investopedia is good. There is a reddit dividend channel. The best free site I have found for data is dividendchannel.com but there are lots of pay sites that might have better research and recommendations.

I like no-growth REITS and BusDev stocks that pay high dividends. My current five holdings are monthly OXSQ, CLM, ORC and quarterly NLY and SACH, paying between 8.6% and 17%. Forget about Dividend "Champions and Aristocrats" that have paid 4% for 50 years. If a business has kept up high dividends over the last crazy year, good enough for me. Some other monthlies I have used are EFC, ARR, RA, AGNC, all in the 8% range and solid companies. It is good to diversify of course. I prefer monthly dividends because they pay sooner, and if the business has a problem and nukes the dividend, you can bail and switch to another stock faster.

8% of $300k is $2000/month

3. Taxes. You can easily live in SE Asia (except SIN) on US poverty level income, plus taxes on dividends are lower than on regular income. No tax up to $40k, then only 15%.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer … axable.asp

4. I am updating my budget estimates for cost of living for new arrivals to $1500 w/$600 apartment, $1800 w/$800 apartment in Saigon. Small cities 20% less. That affords a standard of living closer to the US with occasional Non-Vietnamese food, gym/pool, Grab cars, funds for travel, visa/border runs, and a buffer for the unexpected. Sure if you are a 22 yo backpacker, your expected standard of living is lower, 3 people in a $350 apartment, bahn mi everyday, 2009 Nuovo, etc.

Yes, definitely!  You are a Vietnamese of origin, I assume, and you do speak Vietnamese fluently, so why not take risk and change your life ? Cost of living in Vn is very low and with 1.5k per month, you can live comfortably!

Clocky wrote:

Hello Clocky,

Whether 1.0k - 1.5k USD is livable depends on your lifestyle and the company you keep (I mean, are they into fine dining, drinking, expensive hobbies, etc.?).

I hope the following data points of common essential expenses would be helpful to you in determining your budget.

Housing: In District 7, you can find a clean/small/newish studio/condo (non-luxurious) starting at $7M VND/month.

Utilities: My electricity & water bill is about $2M VND/month for a three-person household.   

Dining: If you don't mind local eateries or street vendor, local dishes such as rice noodle soup or broken rice with grilled pork can be had for $35k VND. Vietnamese sandwich or Vietnamese coffee is around $15k - $20k VND. Korean BBQ buffet (such as Meat & Meet BBQ) is about $200k VND/person. High end place like El Gaucho Argentinian Steak House is probably $500k minimum per person.

Groceries: If you cook, I think you can eat healthy and well (but not lavishly) for $3M VND/person/month. For example, today I bought 1kg of clam for $35k, 1kg of chicken breast for $90k.

Medical: My annual checkup (much more comprehensive/extensive than in the States in my opinion) was about $4M VND. Colonoscopy (with sedation) was $2.8M VND. My implant was $25M + crown $7M.

Transportation: Grab bike and car are about $8k/km and $16k/km, respectively. A bus ticket is $6k-$7k; I haven't had to take more than 2 buses to get to anywhere in the city.

Entertainment & Hobbies: The sky is the limit.

Relieved from the "tired and boring life": ... Priceless :)   

Good luck and wishing you making the right decision for you! Take care Clocky!

Thank you everyone, I think this paint a clearer picture for me. I don't drink, im not even into American food. So I think I can keep my expenses low. Although I was in a luxury appt building for a few nights and really liked it. So most likely I will have to spend close to 500 a month on rent.

Yoda0807 wrote:

How far are you away from receiving ssn, thus, should further aid your monthly income?  In general, I would say yes depending on your lifestyle and personal needs.  PM me if you have further questions.

Very far. By the time I hit this 500k to 600k goal I'm a good 22 to 27 years away from social security.

I think it is well established that you can live off the interest/dividends on 300-500K US.   The real question is if you are wanting to get away from the rat race and hubub, why do you want to live in HCMC?

THIGV wrote:

I think it is well established that you can live off the interest/dividends on 300-500K US.   The real question is if you are wanting to get away from the rat race and hubub, why do you want to live in HCMC?

My relatives are in HCMC, and I don't have to be there all the time, but if I don't have to work, that means I'm not in the rat race. I certainly can't live off 500k in socal, so that's my exit plan.

I guess since you are from SoCal, you are already immune to air pollution.   :huh:

I suspect that after a few years in the city, your relatives may seem to be bearing in on you and the traffic may be getting to you even if you have nowhere special to go.  In that case you may find yourself looking at one of the mid-sized cities.  Good luck.

THIGV wrote:

I guess since you are from SoCal, you are already immune to air pollution.   :huh:

I suspect that after a few years in the city, your relatives may seem to be bearing in on you and the traffic may be getting to you even if you have nowhere special to go.  In that case you may find yourself looking at one of the mid-sized cities.  Good luck.

Socal is so much better than hcm in terms of air polution... hopefully hcm city can some how get that solve in the next few years.

Clocky wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Socal is so much better than hcm in terms of air polution... hopefully hcm city can some how get that solve in the next few years.

:lol::lol::lol:

Clocky wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I think you have a better chance catching up with Elvis for a burger.

The govt is reactive, not proactive.

Greetings,  Sent you a contact request.  Yes you can .... Contact me and I will tell you how my wife and I are doing on less $500. Plus redoing an old house and garden in SaiGon.  We are retired, She is VN and I am USA Caucasian.  5k from downtown SaiGon.

jefferson and Bich Van

Clocky wrote:

4. I am updating my budget estimates for cost of living for new arrivals to $1500 w/$600 apartment, $1800 w/$800 apartment in Saigon. Small cities 20% less. That affords a standard of living closer to the US with occasional Non-Vietnamese food, gym/pool, Grab cars, funds for travel, visa/border runs, and a buffer for the unexpected. Sure if you are a 22 yo backpacker, your expected standard of living is lower, 3 people in a $350 apartment, bahn mi everyday, 2009 Nuovo, etc.

I'd love to see a drill down on these info. I'm checking online and I'm finding any sort of numbers.
I've also found this website which is quite nice:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … r/in/Hanoi

But I'd love to hear from someone who actually lives there info on your standard of living.
How many times do you eat outside eating local and how many times eating western food?
How many times do you get Grab?
What about the travel fund?

Thanks in advance.

Irasshaimase wrote:

But I'd love to hear from someone who actually lives there info on your standard of living.
How many times do you eat outside eating local and how many times eating western food?

Almost all the replies on cost of living in VN (there are many threads on that topic) are from people who are living in VN.  In fact, a great majority of advices you read on this forum are from people who actually live here and have true knowledge of which they speak.

The standard of living is described in the replies, although no one (except one person, but due to many reasons he's no longer allowed to post) can tell you how many times he eats out, how many times he has Western food, how many times he has local food, and how many times he uses Grab.  Only tourists, the newcomers, and YouTubers make record of every little thing they do.

In general, the standard of living for most expats is comparable to the one they left behind. 

In re: travel fund, no two people have the same budget or even the same budget range for travel.  The expense for domestic travel is insignificant.  For international travel, there's no such thing is average budget.  An all-inclusive one week trip to Thailand can cost as little as 8M while the same trip to Australia can easily be 5 times as much.

Ciambella wrote:

Almost all the replies on cost of living in VN (there are many threads on that topic) are from people who are living in VN.  In fact, a great majority of advices you read on this forum are from people who actually live here and have true knowledge of which they speak.

Sure! I didn't mean distrust but only to emphasize on the matter.

Ciambella wrote:

The standard of living is described in the replies, although no one (except one person, but due to many reasons he's no longer allowed to post) can tell you how many times he eats out, how many times he has Western food, how many times he has local food, and how many times he uses Grab.  Only tourists, the newcomers, and YouTubers make record of every little thing they do.

Ahahah I quote on the YouTubers!
Anyway my idea wasn't to have like a proper count but I would have loved to have a drill down on what Clocky wrote, if he can/want. So no excel needed but only a better understanding.

Ciambella wrote:

In re: travel fund, no two people have the same budget or even the same budget range for travel.

This is clear, it is the same everywhere, just asking for an example. For instance, when you say:

Ciambella wrote:

An all-inclusive one week trip to Thailand can cost as little as 8M

It would be nice to know what rwould you include: e.g. flight in economy, hotel 3 stars for a weekend, eating local everytime, pay for some experiences (land and water trip).

Of course without prying into yours or somebody's financial affair.

Best

Irasshaimase wrote:

It would be nice to know what rwould you include: e.g. flight in economy, hotel 3 stars for a weekend, eating local everytime, pay for some experiences (land and water trip).

Of course without prying into yours or somebody's financial affair.

An all inclusive guided tour to Thailand comprises of flight, hotels (3-stars), all meals, and specific sightseeing.  And it's not for a weekend but 5 nights.

We don't take guided tour and we travel more often than most people so no matter where we live, our travel expense has always been the highest item in our budget.

Ciambella wrote:

An all inclusive guided tour to Thailand comprises of flight, hotels (3-stars), all meals, and specific sightseeing. 

We don't take guided tour and we travel more often than most people so no matter where we live, our travel expense has always been the highest item in our budget.

Thanks! Very much appreciated. Looking forward to a similar experience :)

here's a good video that covers alot of the general costs:
cost of living in ho chi minh video

dionstravels wrote:

here's a good video that covers alot of the general costs:

You forgot to mention that it was your own YouTube channel.  Besides the tackiness of the sly self promotion aspect, you really need to work on you monotonal delivery.  I had to force myself to watch five minutes.  Eli the Bike Guy won't have to worry about his status as the producer of the slowest paced videos on Vietnam.

Irasshaimase wrote:
Clocky wrote:

I'd love to see a drill down on these info. I'm checking online and I'm finding any sort of numbers.

Thanks in advance.

I never found Numbeo useful.
I like a Youtuber Vagabond Awake who compares living prices in many countries, because our living standards appear similar. He doesn't have a lot of experience in any one country (like Vietnam), but he is thorough.

I don't mind helping you set up a budget spreadsheet Irasshaimase, also showing you how to research particular costs. Click on Gobot, then you can Send a Message. I've been living at several addresses in Saigon for 6 years, an estimated budget helped me before I moved.

gobot wrote:
Irasshaimase wrote:
Clocky wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I never found Numbeo useful.
I like a Youtuber Vagabond Awake who compares living prices in many countries, because our living standards appear similar. He doesn't have a lot of experience in any one country (like Vietnam), but he is thorough.

I don't mind helping you set up a budget spreadsheet Irasshaimase, also showing you how to research particular costs. Click on Gobot, then you can Send a Message. I've been living at several addresses in Saigon for 6 years, an estimated budget helped me before I moved.

How much did you allow per month to chase the fairer sex, lol.

colinoscapee wrote:

How much did you allow per month to chase the fairer sex, lol.

Chase?   :unsure
Oh I see. 
Yes, I imagine that could be a considerable budget expense, for some guys.
:cool:

avhexpat wrote:
Clocky wrote:

Hello Clocky,

Whether 1.0k - 1.5k USD is livable depends on your lifestyle and the company you keep (I mean, are they into fine dining, drinking, expensive hobbies, etc.?).

I hope the following data points of common essential expenses would be helpful to you in determining your budget.

Housing: In District 7, you can find a clean/small/newish studio/condo (non-luxurious) starting at $7M VND/month.

Utilities: My electricity & water bill is about $2M VND/month for a three-person household.   

Dining: If you don't mind local eateries or street vendor, local dishes such as rice noodle soup or broken rice with grilled pork can be had for $35k VND. Vietnamese sandwich or Vietnamese coffee is around $15k - $20k VND. Korean BBQ buffet (such as Meat & Meet BBQ) is about $200k VND/person. High end place like El Gaucho Argentinian Steak House is probably $500k minimum per person.

Groceries: If you cook, I think you can eat healthy and well (but not lavishly) for $3M VND/person/month. For example, today I bought 1kg of clam for $35k, 1kg of chicken breast for $90k.

Medical: My annual checkup (much more comprehensive/extensive than in the States in my opinion) was about $4M VND. Colonoscopy (with sedation) was $2.8M VND. My implant was $25M + crown $7M.

Transportation: Grab bike and car are about $8k/km and $16k/km, respectively. A bus ticket is $6k-$7k; I haven't had to take more than 2 buses to get to anywhere in the city.

Entertainment & Hobbies: The sky is the limit.

Relieved from the "tired and boring life": ... Priceless :)   

Good luck and wishing you making the right decision for you! Take care Clocky!

Great post. Thank you and others. I await to return to Vietnam after Covid. Sincerely, Mr. Sandy Kalb, Illinois USA

"I speak perfect Vietnamese, and read/write as well. I have relatives there. I've been able to visit it a few times the last 10 years and it seems fine to me, I think it's more lively than where I'm at right now, probably more fun as well, I just work and go home and get out on the weekends these days, it's very boring."

Your family should be able to give you this information. I can't help wondering why you came here with your questions but rest assured you can live a comfortable life on 1 - 1.5 k per month - as long as you aren't living like a king in a castle and buying rounds for everyone at the local bars.

Ciambella wrote:
Clocky wrote:

You can have in-country extension every other 6 months, meaning you must leave the country once a year. A border run to Cambodia is what many non VEC holders did before COVID; most VEC holders travelled instead. If you decide to travel, then you'll need to take the extra expense into consideration.

Thanks @Ciambella - for future reference as I do not live in VN yet, where would I go in HCMC to get the in-country extension (5 year VEC)?

chicagoan77 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Clocky wrote:

Thanks @Ciambella - for future reference as I do not live in VN yet, where would I go in HCMC to get the in-country extension (5 year VEC)?

I'm a Vietnamese (was born there), so I'm allow to have that 5 year Visa, I do not think it applies to foreigners.

chicagoan77 wrote:

You go to Immigration office in Q1.

drutter wrote:

"I speak perfect Vietnamese, and read/write as well. I have relatives there. I've been able to visit it a few times the last 10 years and it seems fine to me, I think it's more lively than where I'm at right now, probably more fun as well, I just work and go home and get out on the weekends these days, it's very boring."

Your family should be able to give you this information. I can't help wondering why you came here with your questions but rest assured you can live a comfortable life on 1 - 1.5 k per month - as long as you aren't living like a king in a castle and buying rounds for everyone at the local bars.

my family lives the local life, they have houses so their rent are virtually nothing.
I'm more Americanize and probably will be hard to live like them. They spend less than 1k a month for a family of 3.

Clocky wrote:
drutter wrote:

my family lives the local life, they have houses so their rent are virtually nothing.
I'm more Americanize and probably will be hard to live like them. They spend less than 1k a month for a family of 3.

They dont sound like your average family, living costs of 23 million a month and no rent.

What are they spending it on?

Clocky wrote:

No rent, only utilities and food and they spend $1000?  Do they eat out daily?

Our food bill for two is 3M and we eat first grade seafood weekly.  Our utility bill (electricity, water, two cellphone packages, and the fastest internet available from FPT) is less than 2M.  Transportation (Grab) is fluctuate, not much since Covid.  Our monthly "date night" at an expensive restaurant with two kinds of wine is 500k.  My hair care and beauty care is 400k - 500k.  That's a tad over $250 for two people.

Americanized or not, without rent, you wouldn't need more than a few hundred dollars to live comfortably and comparable to American standard.  Just add rent on top of those few hundred dollars and you'll know your range of budget.

Ciambella wrote:
Clocky wrote:

No rent, only utilities and food and they spend $1000?  Do they eat out daily?

Our food bill for two is 3M and we eat first grade seafood weekly.  Our utility bill (electricity, water, two cellphone packages, and the fastest internet available from FPT) is less than 2M.  Transportation (Grab) is fluctuate, not much since Covid.  Our monthly "date night" at an expensive restaurant with two kinds of wine is 500k.  My hair care and beauty care is 400k - 500k.  That's a tad over $250 for two people.

Americanized or not, without rent, you wouldn't need more than a few hundred dollars to live comfortably and comparable to American standard.  Just add rent on top of those few hundred dollars and you'll know your range of budget.

I am same sort of, two of us but Ms My is out working all day 6 days a week.........average 900k for electric & thats cooking electric & AC, 1.2 mil management fee for water, 3 moto. 250k for FPT internet  & TV pay 6 months up front & get 1 month free!! 4 g by Mobi is 90k a month, but on the positive side I dont have hair done cos I dont have any. But I do have expensive health care cover & that knocks it up a good bit. But even at that I think we are well under 1,000usd PM

goodolboy wrote:

I am same sort of, two of us but Ms My is out working all day 6 days a week.........average 900k for electric & thats cooking electric & AC, 1.2 mil management fee for water, 3 moto. 250k for FPT internet  & TV pay 6 months up front & get 1 month free!! 4 g by Mobi is 90k a month, but on the positive side I dont have hair done cos I dont have any. But I do have expensive health care cover & that knocks it up a good bit. But even at that I think we are well under 1,000usd PM

Only one of us has hair, thank goodness. The saving on my husband's shampoo goes into my hair and skin maintenance.

I have the same Mobi C90 package, but with FPT, I have the bundle called Super 150 so the monthly fee is a bit higher (still 6+1).  They told me it's more suitable for people who mainly use websites from abroad.

Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Only one of us has hair, thank goodness. The saving on my husband's shampoo goes into my hair and skin maintenance.

I have the same Mobi C90 package, but with FPT, I have the bundle called Super 150 so the monthly fee is a bit higher (still 6+1).  They told me it's more suitable for people who mainly use websites from abroad.

Yea the Mobi 90 a month is OK for low usage.....think its restricted on a daily max usage or something. Found out to my cost while waiting for internet connection at my new place & used my phone tethered to my laptop linked to the TV & watching stuff on YouTube all day & could not understand why I lost internet connection on my phone half way through the day!!! :o