Cataract surgery

Hi, has anyone on this site done a Cataract surgery here in Vietnam? Which hospital was that done and idea of costs involved? Thanks for any reply..

Not in Vietnam, but the best Eye Hospital in Asia in my opinion, is Rutnin-Gimbel Eye Hospital in Bangkok, I had lasik surgery done on both eyes in 2001 and cataract removal 2017.  People from all over the world fly in to get eye surgery there.  Reasonable prices as well, accepts most insurance. I would be interested as well to see if any  hospital's in Vietnam specialize in eye surgery and are up to Western standards.

greetings,
I am from the USA been living in VN for a number of years.  Couple years ago had a detached retina  that needed emergency surgery.  (plus, received one new cornea at the same time)
Referred by Hai Yen Eye Care phone 02866861396, to European Eye Center in Dist 2.   
I will tell you top notch.

The European Eye Center took credit card ... and at that time the hospital wanted cash.
Gave the Hospital cash and wrote a bad review regarding Cash vs credit card.
The Eye Centers doctor (and owner) was more than an expert. He (and staff) are very friendly and very knowledgeable and English is spoken.  Excellent service.  Great follow up. 
We used an eye hospital he thought best. Don't recall the hospitals name, but all was excellent.
Things may have changed.
Seems not uncommon for some new corneas to get a little cloudy ...  Mine did.
He used a Lazer, fixed that cloudy in a Heart Beat
New cornea was top notch and I think German made.  Some day will do the other eye.
Will tell you, the color White actually looks White rather than yellowish.
Call the European Eye Center +842822533572,  [email protected]

I'm in the same boat: a few years ago had a torn retina and soon requiring cataract surgery.  I think you're recommending the E.E.C but slightly confused by the phrase "don't recall hospital's name but all was good." Is it the case that Dr Ferwerda meets patients at one location and conducts surgery at another?   I'm curious as to the $ but maybe it's impertinent to ask.   Chris

Greetings,

Yes, Dr Ferwerda has his office in Dist 2. 
I believe his goal is to provide his own place for surgery and laser treatment.
You would need to talk to his office about his current practice and fees.
Don't recall his exact fees, but included retina work and a new cornea.
May have paid the doc under $1,700 usd. 
At that time he used other locations for surgical treatments. 
I was in an emergency situation...
and just prior to surgery was told by the hospital to pay 31 million dong Cash.
That pissed me OFF and created an additional stressful emergency ... no credit cards and no advance warning about hospital fees.
  If I remember the name of the place I will remind them of my thoughts and feelings.

Thank you, sir

Thank you, knowing a dependable place when emergency arise.

CHRISLANGTON wrote:

Is it the case that Dr Ferwerda meets patients at one location and conducts surgery at another?

My observation has been that this is a very common situation for many medical specialties in Vietnam.

My wife once brought me to an eye hospital at 280 Điện Biên Phủ, Phường 7, Quận 3, HCMC.  I believe this is the main public eye hospital.  I went for a follow up on a retinal peel that I had in the US.  They had a two track system local/foreigner.  The young ophthalmologist was US trained and seemed excellent.  I suspect this may be the place that only takes cash and I am certain that is how my wife paid.  I would hate to have an emergency and show up there without a bag full of bills.  Once I was safely in the foreigner track, my wife left me and had a routine eye exam.  As you might imagine I ended up waiting quite a while for her to finish.  I think her exam may have been free but the price was time.

I had to have a cataract surgery done for one eye but Doctor told me he has to operate both eyes. I refused since the other eye was still very good. Beware of Doctors who are more into getting money. Now, 4 years later my second eye is still excellent.

Both my mother and father in law had cataract surgery this past year at Military Hospital # 175 in Go Vap district. The cost was only 3 million. Another plus is they have a section in the hospital dedicated to serve foreigners. Prices may vary.

I had to pay 1600$ for one eye and insurance said it is not a disease, it is dgeneration so they did not pay.

Both my mother and father in law had cataract surgery this past year at Military Hospital # 175 in Go Vap district. The cost was only 3 million. Another plus is they have a section in the hospital dedicated to serve foreigners. Prices may vary.

I forgot to mention that any clinics you find open right now are operating against the current COVID restrictions. To be within the law you will need to go to a hospital and (at this time) you will have to pay for a COVID test before they will admit you. If you can, it may be better to wait until the lockdown restrictions are lifted.