Relocating from Australia To Groningen

Hi All,

I've just accepted a position with a company in Groningen and I am awaiting my Visa, etc to be approved then will be relocating to Groningen around the start of July.

I am aware that I will need to have a permanent address and so on to register with the Gemeente and to get my BSN Number.

Has anyone got any tips to finding a rental property in the Area, such as Rental agents that act on behalf of a tenant to find accommodation that meets their requirements as best as possible.

Also looking for suggestions on where to look at living once arriving in regards to suburbs etc. I am a mid-late 20's single man that enjoys a fairly social outdoor lifestyle, I am not 100% sure on what areas would suit me? open to all suggestions.

Cheers,

Josh

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Long-range accommodation searches are almost always disappointing; I can guarantee you that nobody is going to hold any accommodation until you arrive in July.

Accommodation in the Netherlands is in very short supply and almost anything decent you see on the Internet will already have been rented, but they leave it up to get your interest for something that may be coming up.  There are websites such as Pararius where you can look; this link will take you straight there.  There are other websites, just use Google to find them.  There is also our own housing link at the top of this page.

My advice is to look for something on Airbnb for the first couple of months, then look around for something more permanent.

Lastly, watch out for scammers; if something is too good to be true, then it almost certainly is a scammer.  We've had people tell us of being scammed on the doorstep, they've entered their new apartment, to find somebody else already living there and the guy who just let them in after they handed over their deposit has vanished.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

@Cynic
AirBnB's are very restricted in the Netherlands, so you would have to relocate every week to an new place. Maybe even after only a couple of days at the time.

@Freeman_Aus
I assume you got a job in the city of Groningen, I would advise you to look at the villages around Groningen or look in the province of Drenthe. The Netherlands isn't that big so you would only have to travel for about an half hour to reach your work place.

Finding a place to live in Groningen will be very very difficult, because of the housing problem. It is also a city with lots of students, so much of the avaible smaller housing is already rented out .

I wish you good luck!