Issues with re entering the country

We have been warning about this for some time!     This is  from someone I know and trust and happened  THIS WEEKEND.  This is not  rumor or speculation:

I came back to the states for my vac and when I went to the airport yesterday morning I wasn't allowed to return.  Everything I have is there - dogs, mom.  They said I have to go to the embassy and get my residency before I return.  Could be 12 weeks.  Americans do this all the time and they've never had a problem.

WE KNEW THEY WERE CRACKING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Was she turned away before boarding her flight down here, or upon arrival?

From what planner has written it does appear the person was denied boarding in the USA.

That raises the question how did they(DGM) know of the person.

My question is 'could they be using the digital immigration form?' 'Or are airlines required to submit passenger lists to DR prior to departure like USA?' 'Or is there a black list?'

Good morning,

I am getting asked about this so if you can help....

This was about someone leaving the DR, going to the US and then being unable to return?

Perhaps from some issue related to an overstay?

Thank you,

Jay

The original post states that the person was in the USA and was not allowed to board a plane in the USA to return to the DR without first applying for DR legal residency.

Fascinating.

Perhaps the computerized databases have finally been linked up by DR Migracion.

That said, a one off case like this makes the reason what  happened hard to tell without speaking to the Dominican Embassy.

I thought so as well.  However, a friend who helps lots of folks with going to and fro wanted to get all the specifics possible so that's why I asked - just to resolve confusion for another.

Any information regarding exogenous or contributing factors such as overstay, etc., would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
JR

Did the person fill out the online digital immigration entry form before departure as is recommended?

This appears the most likely way DGM could have vetted the passenger in advance and told the airline to deny boarding.

Interested in learning more about this as probably more to this story than just that.

Yes we knew they were going to get tougher and quire right for those who abuse the system.
But as I've said before DR needs to introduce a more user friendly system for those who don't want to live permanently but stay for 4-6 months.  So many other islands both British, French & independent allow you at least 6 months with a very simple system.

So I think I'll give DR a miss next year, added to which we are a long way from Covid being under control with new variants popping up like the new Indian strain. Scary.

A 6 month snowbird visa seems to be a very low priority for the government. Getting tourism of the AI kind is a much higher priority.

But let us see if the above is an isolated incident or if more of the same pop up over the coming weeks.

Back to the original post.  Hopefully the person not allowed to re-enter the DR has a way to qualify for legal residency.  Not everyone does.

Denied boarding in the USA.  Clearly told to go to the Dominican consulate and get her residencia visa or no entry.

Yes this is about them connecting the dots.  Electronic form is just another step.

They have been scanning passports for years. It's already in a database.  They are using the database finally.

AbInader campaigned on this as part of his platform

Before this when was last time they entered US?

To also clarify there are no other factors at play here - previous overstay is the reason.  I can confirm it was a lengthy overstay.   

Yes this person qualifies for residency and will get their paperwork in order immediately.

To which airport was the person planning to fly? POP, SDQ, PUJ, STI.

It would be interesting to know if the person submitted the online immigration form before going to airport. This would give DGM time to assess the purpose of the visit based on past record rather than at the immigration desk here.

I suspect we all will be expected to pre submit once the use of the form is up and running well.

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that DGM having put a plan in place and take action for both Haitians and Venezuelans who come and stay here without status, that they gradually shift attention to other nationalities.

planner wrote:

To also clarify there are no other factors at play here - previous overstay is the reason.  I can confirm it was a lengthy overstay.   

Yes this person qualifies for residency and will get their paperwork in order immediately.

Almost nobody is going to believe this happened solely because of an overstay.   :cool:

At least they have the chance to become legal residents.

lennoxnev wrote:

To which airport was the person planning to fly? POP, SDQ, PUJ, STI.

It would be interesting to know if the person submitted the online immigration form before going to airport. This would give DGM time to assess the purpose of the visit based on past record rather than at the immigration desk here.

I suspect we all will be expected to pre submit once the use of the form is up and running well.

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that DGM having put a plan in place and take action for both Haitians and Venezuelans who come and stay here without status, that they gradually shift attention to other nationalities.

May 1, 2021 the form becomes mandatory (again):

E-TICKET: As of April 1, 2021, all foreign and Dominican passengers entering or leaving Dominican Republic on commercial flights must complete the electronic entry and exit form, which combines the Traveler's Health Affidavit, Customs Declaration and International Embarkation/Disembarkation forms. Until April 30, 2021, Dominican authorities will exceptionally accept both types of registrations to enter the country: the current one through physical forms, and the new one through the digital system. As of May 1, 2021, the use of digital forms will be mandatory and no other method of providing the required information to enter the Dominican Republic will be allowed or be recognized as valid. The form is available in English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese and Russian and can be accessed through the following link: https://eticket.migracion.gob.do.

I apply and get denied so does that mean I should overstay for residency or would mean I would be barred from the country....

windeguy wrote:
planner wrote:

Almost nobody is going to believe this happened solely because of an overstay.   :cool:

At least they have the chance to become legal residents.

DRVisitor wrote:

I apply and get denied so does that mean I should overstay for residency or would mean I would be barred from the country....

I would suspect that a person who applied for residency and was denied would eventually be barred from re-entry to the DR if they overstay.

That is my best guess if they are now using solely overstays as a method to bar re-entry.

Let us see what the coming months bring.  If it happens to one person, to be fair, it has to happen to all under the same circumstances. But, this is the DR.

There is no other reason

Following. Wondering if the trip to Haiti for passport stamp absolves an issue like this? Can a visitor with visa extension do the Haitian passport stamp, come back, and apply for a visa and an extension again? Not being able to meet residency fiscal requirements, though sufficiently solvent to live in DR, I would not be if I had to keep buying airfare back and forth to US very often. Thanks to everyone commenting about this issue. I live on a lot less in the US than what DR requires applicants for residency to have, and would expect to be able to exist well on your beautiful island on less than 14K USD annual. #mrfrugal

No a trip to Haiti does not qualify.  But a trip to Puerto Rico overnight on the ferry does.

planner wrote:

No a trip to Haiti does not qualify.  But a trip to Puerto Rico overnight on the ferry does.

Correct, you have to go off the island of Hispaniola to restart the clock in the DR. 

Now that the new electronic forms will be mandatory on May 1, 2021, will there be more people denied even getting on a flight to the DR solely for previous overstays?

That is possible Windeguy. At this point we are all working on speculation.  I  am erring on the side of believe the president and his intent, he   clearly has stated it!

To update this:

One went to the Dominican consulate and had to meet with the director.

Confirmed: she was refused re entry for overstay.   Argument was made it was due to covid.  Did not fly her overay started pre covid.  Argument was made elderly parent is there.  Did not fly.

They got a powerful dominican family involved and permission granted.

This is an overstay refusal. 

Will it happen again - probably

Will it happen all the time - not likely.

Will it eventually be fully enforced - who knows!

Will it happen to you?  That is your decision, your risk.

I just pass on what I know.

To save all these wretched problems why don't people just apply for an extension online for a further 60 days over and above the 30 days given as tourist i.e. a total of 120 days.  I did, not problem.

In fairness, the online extension program is new
but Yes, that is the way to go

Extend - therefore be legal....

It's their history that sinks them....

Stay past 120 days and it's the same issue.  Pretty sure they are working on some options but until then this is what we have.

planner wrote:

Stay past 120 days and it's the same issue.  Pretty sure they are working on some options but until then this is what we have.

I thought the DR government was working on this well over 10 years ago. Instead they came up with the exit fees and the PLD didn't do much else about it during their years of corruption and ignoring laws.

With the PRM in power afer 16 years and stating they want to enforce laws as written when they took office,  there is still that same lag in response showing up yet again.  It is like they cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.  Well, who can during the COVIDIC Period?

Please come up with a 6 month snowbird visa already! Then anyone who wants to stay longer legally will be required to become a legal resident.  I say this fully realizing that this is the focus:

Short term flyers to Punta Cana AI resorts and they are coming back strong:

https://simpleflying.com/dominican-repu … ovqKhM0l44

So at least that much is working.

Hi, what digital form are you talking about.  When I arrived at PUJ in December, I had to fill out a digital form, but then on the plane down here, they gave us paper forms to fill out.  Is there another form? Is there something we need to apply if we stay more than 3 months?  Thank you.

The online form called an E-Ticket is mandatory starting May 1, 2021

https://e-ticket-dominicanrepublic.org

Nothing ever changes, until it does.

Dolfina wrote:

Hi, what digital form are you talking about.  When I arrived at PUJ in December, I had to fill out a digital form, but then on the plane down here, they gave us paper forms to fill out.  Is there another form? Is there something we need to apply if we stay more than 3 months?  Thank you.

There is currently no process I am aware of to legally extend a stay beyond 120 days for those who enter on a 30 day tourist card.

https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicios/permits/https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

Windeguy you are correct. there is no legal form to extend beyond  120 days. 

Lets hope that the current gov't is working on this. And you are right, how much can they do all at once? We are in a pandemic still. We are facing  huge  challenges.   Lets see what they do!

The fact is, everyone should respect the laws of the country they travel to or stay within. My first visit, I filled out the E-Ticket online before departure, at customs they scanned and stamped our passports and along with my E-Ticket they waved us through to the exit. Easy-Breezy! When we come back in June to take possession of our new condo and plan to stay longer than 30 days we will go online, fill out the extension request and bingo, up to another 90 days in paradise. If only people would be willing to follow the laws of their host country, it probably would avoid issues that have landed foreigners into trouble. JMHO

Allor, yes that sounds like a good plan.  As for laws of the country, well in general, that doesn't work.  You need a country that supports it's own laws and is interested in protecting the people before you stand a chance at that...

As a guest in this country we need to follow the laws.

This site does not, in any way, condone anything else.  As the forum moderator I will keep repeating this.

If only the DR's immigration policy, regulations, and enforcement actually followed its own laws.

I agree Windeguy!

I understand the frustration of a country not following it's own laws, but there's lots of countries around the world including the one I live in that refuse to follow or pick and choose which ones to enforce. It still comes down to if you respect the rule of law personally by abiding by them....or not.