What struck you about Italy?

Hello everybody,

When you first settled in Italy, you might have been struck by cultural aspects of life in Italy and you might even have anecdotes about your integration here.
We would like you to share with expats-to-be what you discovered once you arrived in Italy: customs, traditions, interesting or fun facts etc.

What were the things that surprised you the most after your arrival?

Are there any practices that are particularly out of step with your culture of origin? If so, what are they?

What do you think about them?

Did you get used to these and adopt some of these traditions or norms?

Do you think you would take some of the customs of Italy with you if you were to return to your home country or move to another country?

Thank you!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Unfortunately,  Italy was a dream...it 's now a nightmare.   I wish that I'd never heard the word Italy.
All of my life I'd known good, correct Italian people in the U.S.A.     Today..Italy is NOTHING of the Italy that those folks remember and recounted to me.   Some of my close friends. from the U.S.A.  .....Italians born and bred in Italy,  came for a visit to see family.   They had scheduled a 1 month visit here.  They left and went back after 1 week.    Their explanation was ..." This is not the Italy we knew".   Can't wait to get out of here  !!!

I'm so sorry you are having such a terrible experience in Italy. Where are you living and could you describe the aspects or characteristics that you are finding challenging? I hope things improve for you wherever you go!

Hello Chery,

Thank you for raising such a good question.

I did my masters in Italy at the metropolitan city of Milan. Stayed there for three years and Travelled around too. As usual we should give constructive feedback. So I will start with writing that Italy will be in my heart for ever, I really miss this country, its culture, traditions, classic lifestyle, education I recieved from Italian professors, etc.
All these were wonderful until I graduated and started looking for jobs, problems and setbacks appeared. I could not find something worthy to live by so as to have an adequate life standard. Accommodation that I was given for a cheap price by university , I could not even find that in the post graduation period . While i had plans to stay in the country for at least 10 years, I was indirectly pushed out for the huge lack of opportunities while I was a top student, Multilingual with experience.

Clara Alemann31 March 2021 18:23:40Report#3
1 post
I'm so sorry you are having such a terrible experience in Italy. Where are you living and could you describe the aspects or characteristics that you are finding challenging? I hope things improve for you wherever you go!

I prefer to speak privately.   Please send to me an email.

Italy was once a fine country...it is now a despicable disgrace.