Sandanski Schools

Hello everyone!

Me, my wife, and our 3-year-old toddler plan to come to Bulgaria.

We're going to live in Sandanski.

I'm a freelancer, and my wife works every year in a Greek hotel (she's not Greek, though), and we'd really want to get on with our lives and make a bright start.

I have lots of questions, but the most prominent one has to do with schooling.

To clarify some things, I don't have any problem at all for my son to grow-up as a Bulgarian. And to get accustomed to the Bulgarian traditions.

We plan to hire a Bulgarian home tutor for a year to help our son learn the Bulgarian language and then place him in the pre-school to acclimatize.

But how are the schools in Sandanski?

Coming from Greece, I don't have great expectations as local Greek schools are mediocre at best. I know the Bulgarian Universities are top-notch, but I'm worried about the quality of the secondary education.

If the Bulgarian state schools have the same standard as in Greece, which is not very high, I would feel happy.

How's also bullying? My toddler is half Greek half Asian, so he's not entirely European.

Again, I'm looking for information for Sandanski only.

Any reply is invaluable.

[Post deleted]

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So if we go to the grocery store they will be racist towards us?

Or if we sit at a restaurant?

Hi
My partner is of mixed race and we have a young son and have not experienced any racism whilst local shopping in local villages or main town(Yambol & Burgas) or at any restaurant local or town...we found we are always  made welcome ,we are from Scotland...the only issue Bulgarians (not all) have is with certain Gypsy groups and will openly tell you they have none in village or if they who and where they are,your child will do fine with lessons and mixing with local kids... Hope this helps

It helps! Many thanks.

[Post deleted]

I see your point.

To be honest, Greeks are like that too.

Our daily life is like this:

I'm on the PC, working, while my wife can take our kid to Sandanski Park.

One day or two per week, we can eat outside, and some weekends we can visit Sofia so the kid goes to the playground or the Sofia Opera.

We're mostly indoor people, so it's not like we'll get outside a lot and try to mingle with the locals or be annoying to them.

What we're also looking forward to is advice for Health Insurance etc.

I understand we're planning to come to Bulgaria and not Luxemburg, but still, it's nice to know what's available.

Also how much do the bills cost? I know there are way cheaper than both Italy and Greece, but I need information from an actual expat living there.

I also noticed that prices in supermarkets are on the rise, at least in Sofia, and are kind of equal to Greece, albeit 15% cheaper.

Finally, we're looking for peace! Do you think Sandanski is a place to find peace? To find calm way of life?

[Post deleted]