Student visa - accepted schools

hi,

A quick question about requirements for obtaining a student visa.

If I registered  in a private high school as an adult full time student (not sure if this is possible,  but I have a friend who owns a private school), would this meet the requirement for a student visa? Or does the school need to be an acredited language school?

Pete

An adult full time student in a language course they offer, or in the regular high school curriculum?

abthree wrote:

An adult full time student in a language course they offer, or in the regular high school curriculum?

Well . . .  with the help of my girlfriend and my online/youtube/Duolingo courses,  I have been making reasonable progress with my language acquisition.  My thought is to sit in on regular classes (sciences, history, geography,etc.,) and my listening skills will improve greatly. I was a high school teacher in Canada, so I am familiar with teenagers and with how classrooms run. Of course there might be a hundred objections, but I won't know until I ask. But I thought it might be wise to float the idea here first.

Having a Brazilian girlfriend, you would be on much safer ground just applying for permanent residency on the basis of family reunion, related to a "união estável".

If you two aren't ready for that yet, and I certainly can see where that might be the case, then I'd suggest talking to some of the local private universities about courses for foreigners that qualify for authorization for residency as a student, at a level more consistent with your educational background.

Best case, I could see the "Back to the Future" scenario you sketch out as getting you laughed out of the Polícia Federal offices with a bug in your ear.  Worst case, I could see you being given a mandatory date to be out of Brazil, and your friend losing the high school -- or worse -- for creating the formal documents to support your application.

I have known people who, with the help of attorneys, obtained residency on the basis of some rather "creatively" defined volunteer work.  I don't ordinarily suggest gaming the system, and there's a cost involved that can be significant, but if your friend is willing to participate, that would probably be a safer direction to move in for both of you.

Ok, thanks for the perspective.

Pete