How do you feel about the recent protests in India?

Hello everyone!

I hope you are well amidst the health and current social crisis.

We're looking for testimonies of expats living in India regarding the situation following farmers protests.

Should you be interested, feel free to contact me on this thread or by private message.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,
Veedushi
Expat.com Editorial Team

Here's the real story.

The farmer's strike is not what it appears to be.  It's because of the middlemen who cheated farmers for decades through fraud, taking away their money, and restricting who, what, and where the produce could be sold to.  Later, it was the Islamists, Khalistanis, Communists, separatists, seculars, etc. who hijacked this movement away from the middlemen who protested being cut out of their CRIMINAL activities.  The middlemen need to get farms and start growing crops, or even accept crops for processing as processors themselves, or find something else altogether to do.  They will feel better about themselves if they do.  I offer you proof.

davp.nic.in/ebook/puttingfarmersfirst/index.html

Now, farmers can grow their crops anywhere and sell their crops, ANY CROPS, ANYWHERE, even internationally, and sell directly to customers who come up to their farms, to food manufacturers, restaurants.  Prior to the reforms, they were not LEGALLY allowed to do this.  They now can earn more money for themselves without raising the prices so much at the market now.  It benefits both farmers and customers.  And that has been happening here in Gujarāt, where I LIVE.  And they now have better insurance coverage for disasters and get money from the gov't on a regular basis to help support them.  Also, the farming industry is being improved to help with traveling to more distant markets by providing warehouses along the way, cold storage chains, and the ability to grow crops that don't stand up to the completely natural method of getting produce to the market without refrigeration.

I talked to a friend in Sūrat on Sunday, who told me that several of his farmer friends have really benefited from the farmer reforms.  I also talked to a farmer directly through WA, who said that he has benefited as well.  He has tree crops.  So, those protestors are not farmers and those who think that MSP, or Minimum Price Support, will go away, and that is not true at all.  In fact, MSP will be strengthened so that it applies in ALL contracts so as to protect the farmer from fraud and cheating.  If prices go up, he can get that much, but he will be paid his MSP AT MINIMUM.  He has legal recourse if they don't.

So, ask those "farmers" who they really are.  It's time to crack down on corruption on the farming industry that has short-changed the farmers for decades.