Flying out on the 3rd of February from Texas

My husband and I will be flying out on the 3rd of February and staying until the 11th.  We will be checking out the area to see where we may want to live. We will be staying at Wyndham in La Romana from the 3rd to the 7th then traveling North to stay at Wyndham from the 7th to the 11th in Porta Plata.  Anybody who may want to meet up and tell us about the area you live in please let us know.  We have only been to DR via a cruise.  However, we probably have seen every HGTV on Dominican Republic. 

Ginny and Rayland

We're not far from the Wyndham in Puerto Plata. Happy to share our experiences. Post a note to the board when you arrive.

Hello Outdoorgirl1027:  I wish I could tell you more about the region , La Romana is La Romana , I am also from Texas in Denton County looking to relocate permanently into the region of Sosua, Puerto Plata, the homes that I have looked at they are beautiful and the cost of living is good. My wife is from the country of Latvia and she is also looking for a change. If I may suggest I have been dealing with a realtor down there named William Oosterman an excellent gentleman that  also owns a hotel named Casa Blanca in Sosua . He is also a former church pastor and does  lot of good in the region. I envy you that you are heading that way, here I am still tied up waiting for a closing date on my house here in Denton County . Enjoy your trip maybe and hopefully we will meet you , your husband , my wife and myself . Many blessings. Krumite ( this should tell you where the house is ? ) Jose and Ligita

i sure will

Have you bought your property yet in Sousa?  We live in Austin right now.  We are checking out all the areas now.  I am thinking of something small now so we can travel back and forth for a few years and then buy something bigger later down the road,  If you ever come to Austin please let me know and we all can get together.  We also have some lake property  about an hour south of Dallas.

davidebennett wrote:

We're not far from the Wyndham in Puerto Plata. Happy to share our experiences. Post a note to the board when you arrive.

I will post

thank you for your confidence , we are no different and you know how our society will everything that is going on is turning , I opted for Dominican last year and spoke to my wife about it and at the beginning she wanted to be closer to her home country , but the exchange of currency is a killer, the country is beautiful and the capital of Riga it used to be called the Paris of Russia , but now with covid -19 and everything else like I told her smaller economies have less fiscal responsibilities. For me I can adjust , I am fully bilingual , my sister in law is from Santiago de los Caballeros in Dominican, really good people. you will find out over time that people are people no matter where you go. Many blessings . Jose

Answering your question, have looked at several and prefer Sosua as it is more cosmopolitan and will do some good to my wife , allow me to say this for me Texas is a powerhouse in the economy and you and I know that is the only state that can really say this. Homes in D.R. by design are reinforced concrete with steel rebars, most of the ones I have looked at in the range of 200k are really nice and a lot of them are furnished as their owner are from other countries not necessarily the U.S. for me as a former federal employee with the social security and federal pension the living will be excellent . I personally do not intent to stop working as I have always worked and want a productive life all the time.  I am in Krum Texas live in Saddlebrook estates had the house built in 2009 for me and by my specs and is ok and I am a Texas transplant and honor the state that has allowed me to prosper , I guess what I am saying develop a good plan and go for it ,do not be afraid , I have been in many parts of the world not knowing the language and never felt out of place. I hope I can get to meet you both , the man I suggested to you I trust him good man look at him also by his name on Pinterest. BLESSING ALL THE TIME !!! krumite ( Jose R)

Ashley and Rayland : once I am there I will help you in any way I can, Texans are really good people and I mean that from my heart. my mom is a country girl, my wife is a country girl that sweep my feet the first time I met her and we both met thru the internet. We both have been thru a lot together , we have a daughter named Jana , she works and resides in the country of Iceland , she is the best daughter and friend any man can wish for. I personally live my life thru their eyes as everything I am and will be has not been for me has been for my family . God bless you Ashley and Rayland , have a safe journey and stay in touch . Krumite ( J.R.)

Sorry I Called you Ashley whoops !! you are probably thinking I am chatting with a nut case from Krum , not at all, I am multi tasking tonight .

Welcome to the forums.  You will find a great deal of of info and a variety of opinions about areas to live.

It's really about what's important to you and your family.

Tell us more about the lifestyle you are looking for!   Then many of us who have lived here for years can give you feedback. 

I have lived in many areas of this country as have others.  There are, of course, pros and cons to each area.  Before buying we suggest staying in those areas for some time first.  Once you purchase it's a bit tough to resell.

Hello Mrs.Ginny, Mr. Rayland,

I have a place at Colina Al Mar it's a lovely well maintain condos  in Porta Plata, Samana  that you pass when you drive to  or helicopter over to the Wyndham. I do believe there are a few that are available for purchase.
Safe travels

Best Regards
Dwane F.

elgin : sorry that I butted in ask am exploring all the options for myself and my wife , my question what is the price range for a 2 bedroom condo at the place you mentioned , also the maintenance fees ? thanks Krumite

Elgin7144 wrote:

Hello Mrs.Ginny, Mr. Rayland,

I have a place at Colina Al Mar it's a lovely well maintain condos  in Porta Plata, Samana  that you pass when you drive to  or helicopter over to the Wyndham. I do believe there are a few that are available for purchase.
Safe travels

Best Regards
Dwane F.

Elgin - isn't Colina Al Mar in on Coson in Las Terrenas? OP mentioned La Romana and Puerta Plata. I don't think she's visiting the Wyndham Samama.

Sent you a private message

Yes lol sorry my mistake so many Wyndham's 😱😱

Elgin7144 wrote:

Yes lol sorry my mistake so many Wyndham's 😱😱

True! We actually stayed at the one in Coson during part of our very first visit to Las Terrenas almost 4 years ago. It's a great little resort!

We are here today 8th of February at Wyndham Tangerine.   We met another couple from New York who will be looking at places today and Wednesday between here and Puerto Plata.   If any wants to meet up or show us some condos or villas.  On Tuesday, Tomorrow, may consider driving to Las Terrenas for the day to look at places.  If anybody wants to shows us around in that area please contact us.

Hello Ginny and Ryland : my hope is that you two are enjoying your time over there , here in Denton is humid and a bit cold. Hopefully I will get to enjoy like you guys are down there and hopefully you got in touch with William Oosterman for him to help you on your search . Blessing Krumite

However, we should be at that one in April.

Outdoorgirl1027: I envy you both enjoying the good weather, stay safe and relax , Dominican has a lot of potential like in here also, the weather and the ocean there is a plus and totally different from the gulf. BLESSINGS TO YOU BOTH . KRUMITE

Please post what you find because my wife and I have done the same as you have only been in a cruise to there. But looking to retire there thanks Steve

The places we went to.  We flew into Punta Cana but did not stay there.  We stayed in a small area called Dominicus by Bayahibe.  They are putting in a nice beachfront condominium complex.  We really liked the people there and enjoyed walking around.  We went to La Romana and Juan Dolio but neither was for us.  We went up to the Cabarete and Sousa area and stayed there for three nights.  After exploring that area and Puerto Plata, we decided that was not for us.  It was too windy for us but they do have some great deals there.  They have the mountains and the beaches to choose from.  We then went to Las Terrenas for the night and really liked that area.  We are now going back to that area at the end of April and stay for about eight days then head to Cap Cana and stay in that area for four days.  Before we make any decision on purchasing, we want to at least stay in the area for a week or two for a few times.  Each area depends on what your own personal preference is.  For us personally, we don't want to move to another country and stay at a large resort type community.  We want to experience their culture also.

Thanks for that info looking forward to you're next stay. I agree we don't want to stay in a resort type place

Outdoorgirl1027 : I happy that you enjoyed the area, I checked on some sites Las in Terrenas , but is like everything I am more for Cabarete for now, maybe I will change my mind once I am there. I am lucky closed on my house have my equity and will be flying out of here Monday pick my wife and head down there . Blessings Krumite

Outdoorgirl1027 : you missed the snow storm here in Texas where I live it was outside 1 degree , inside was warmer with a lot or rolling blackout , the whole town of Denton looked like a movie from another country . hopefully you missed it ? Krumite

Luckily we live in Indiana and are use to the cold and snow which is why we are looking to retire where the weather is nice all year round. I have seen on the news about the cold and blackouts In texas stay dafe

Nope I said not miss it.  I  was here the whole time.  We flew back last Thursday.  I work in an emergency room so I had to stay at work for 24-36 hours.

That was suppose to say nope I did not miss it.    I wish you all safe travels.  We will be there the end of April so maybe all of us can meet up.

Good reviews and areas are different hence you need to see and experience before deciding.

Wow , I was pretty cold here !!!  and you must be busy , I took my covid test and will be picking up the results tomorrow , it needs to be good for 72 hrs  prior to boarding the aircraft hopefully I will pass ? my front neighbors took off with their 4 kids which I do not blame them, for me I was wrap up like an Egyptian mummy in my bedroom , but is all worth the effort. hopefully this will be the last you see of winter but who knows ? Stay safe and many blessings : Krumite

thank you , hopefully I will not see it anymore, I really do not mind it , is after a while gets pretty old . this is why we are moving , I can do the sun better than the snow. Blessings Krumite