Pension Plan For Expats

Hello all happy Friday!

I am a UK expat living here on this rocky island.

To be perfectly honest I am completely inept and lack knowledge on pensions and investments. Hoping someone can offer me some guidance.

Mapfre offer a pension scheme and you get 25% rebate but only qualify for the rebate if I remain here in Malta which I do not plan on spending the next 30 years. I could literally be anywhere. I am looking to find a pension/saving plans that accommodates humans who have no plan to spend the rest of their lives in the same country. Effectively I need someone I can pay into no matter where I am based with little to no complications with a good return and benefits.

I was speaking with a lovely lady called Hannah who has given me some advice but looking for more guidance and options.

Hi and thanks for the question.

First off - I am not a financial or pensions adviser; I have recently reached retirement age, so this is my opinion, having some experience of claiming my pension and telling you how well (or not) I did.

State Pension.  As a UK citizen, if you have any idea of returning to the UK for your retirement, then you need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. You'll need 35 qualifying years to get the full new State Pension; qualifying years are where you have paid a full National Insurance contribution from your salary or a voluntary contribution to make up.  So, anything between 10 > 35 years, you'll get something no matter where you live when you come to retirement.  UK State pensions are index-linked (triple locked atm), however, as an Expat, if you live in certain countries, you don't get the increases unless you return to the UK.  Assuming Malta has a similar scheme that you have been contributing to, then make sure when you leave, that you take a copy of any relevant documentation so you can claim it from where you find yourself at that time.

Voluntary Pensions.  I had one of these via my employment, I paid in 50% and my boss equalled it.  Performance wise, it went surprisingly well in terms of return on investment; I took professional advice on how best to liquidate it, so now enjoy a healthy boost to my pension.

Others.  I'm ex-forces and qualified for an index-linked pension 25 years ago when I left; to be honest, it can't be beaten, it's double the state pension and is index-linked for life.  All "civil servants" qualify, so HM Forces, Police, NHS, Civil Service, My advice if you return to the UK is to seriously consider them.  if you can get one, go for it; although I suspect that being an Ex-pat abroad it will be almost impossible to achieve, but if retirement is important to you, then you need to consider the fact that if for nothing else than your pension and NHS, returning to the UK may be a reality to consider.  Whatever, the real cost of these things has recently been recognised and is part of the reason for the increase in pension age.  I know I'm very lucky to find myself where I am, but it is possible to have a good financial retirement, even if it seems the world is going to hell in a handcart at the moment.

Oh - I just got my bus-pass as well; all I need now is a bus service to use it on. :)

Again - just my opinion.

Cynic
Expat Team

Re leaving the UK and not having enough years, you can elect to pay into the system annually to top you up and its not super pricey to do.

Further to Volcane's comments; details on paying voluntary National Insurance contributions are on the UK Gov website; you can read the details at this link.