New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Vietnam forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Vietnam if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Plannig to move to HCMC. Looking for work there but not that important. Stuck in limbo awaiting Vietnam governmant access to the country.

Hi everyone,
I have just secured a job with the OneMount group and I will be arriving (from Sydney) into Hanoi to live in 2 months time (April 2021)

Still sorting out accommodation and I'm wanting information on where I can ride a bike (30-100+km) and what is the best bike to bring over? (Road / Gravel / MTB).
Any cycling enthusiatsic who can point me in the right direction?

Also, is there anything which is really difficult to get in Hanoi which I should be packing and shipping over?

Lambybutler wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have just secured a job with the OneMount group and I will be arriving (from Sydney) into Hanoi to live in 2 months time (April 2021)

Also, is there anything which is really difficult to get in Hanoi which I should be packing and shipping over?

Practically everything can be found in Hanoi, and for a two month stay, shipping things over would be more costly than buying them here.

Thanks, good to know ... although I arrive in 2 months to live permanently!

[
Also, is there anything which is really difficult to get in Hanoi which I should be packing and shipping over?]

Large condoms.

Lambybutler wrote:

Thanks, good to know ... although I arrive in 2 months to live permanently!

Sorry, I misread!  As you'll live here permanently, my suggestion is to bring over a bottle of emu oil.  I use it for many things -- easing pain and swelling, hydrating dry and sun-damage skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, relieving itchy skin due to insect bites, massaging, etc.

Keep emu oil in the fridge else it'll turn rancid in this climate.  Pour out the amount needed and let it warm to room temperature before use.

Emu oil eh, not heard of that, I'll check it out .... many thanks

Lambybutler wrote:

Emu oil eh, not heard of that, I'll check it out .... many thanks

It has been an Australian remedy, solely Australian, for thousands of years.

I'm also partial to a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz. 
How easy is is to get good wine in Hanoi?

How long can Americans stay in Vietnam?  Is there a limit?

Lambybutler wrote:

I'm also partial to a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz. 
How easy is is to get good wine in Hanoi?

It's a breeze. There are at least a dozen small retail wine stores in the Old Quarter, many larger ones in the city, and quite a few distributors.

Hi Everybody,

I am new here, I am a Singaporean.. planning to move to HCMC for work if there is opportunity :) always looking out for jobs there.. maybe after convid 19 is over chances of me landing a job there is higher

Depends on your expectations and experience

Hi friends.im vietnamese.do you need help

Yes, I am trying to obtain my motorbike licence, (up to 175 cc) am not currently licensed and am aware of the need to do both written and practical.  All good there, just want the company that is in Da Nang that organises all of it, it is a female that handles large groups at a time.  Just need the details so I can book in, thanks.  Viksta

Hi guys, I've been here for almost 3 years and working in an architecture company. Nice to see you.
Gotta learn Vietnamese !

Hi my name is Kamia I am Portuguese and I just landed in HCMC (still in quarantine).
My husband secured a job as an architect, and I am now looking for a role in Digital Marketing.
It's our first time in Vietnam so we are super excited to discover HCMC and no know this beautiful country.

Hi All, My name is Prashant currently in Mumbai, India and very soon will be in Ho Chi Min city I think. I am looking at options to either get a job in the apparel industry or as an English language teacher so any of you in these areas of work please give me your view about options available right now and some tips which a new comer to Vietnam must know.
Thanks guys!

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com @KamiaVasconcelos, and @PrashantRao  :cheers:

Thank you all for the introduction. :up:

Should you have any questions on a specific topic, do not hesitate to create a new thread on the Vietnam forum.

If you are looking for a job, kindly create your CV in the Jobs in Vietnam section.

Best luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Thank You Cheryl for the warm welcome.

Hello all. Don't misunderstand the name i got desperate to invent one that wasn't taken! I have had a couple dozen beers in the last 50yrs. I have been here 1 year this trip 5mo in Bien Hoa last few traveling (youtube channel= intovn) or here in Nam Cat Tien. I am gardening, raising worms, and still traveling some. I come to HCMC about once a month. I usually hit The Moped Bread and Koffee Shop when there. I think it is the best! Ms. An at Vietkite has been taking care of my visa issues. RedDoorz near Vincom Go Vap is my favorite hotel and neighborhood although Smiley Apartment 2 was also nice. (I use Agoda i am cheap). Here in Nam Cat Tien, The Green Bamboo Lodge and Lava Rock Hotel were great, The Rice Straw Green Lodge is more rustic but nice. There are many easy bus connections from Hcmc (if that can be said of bus travel), some overnight, about a 6hr trip i would think.
Hope you are enjoying VN and let me know if i can help.

Cheryl wrote:

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com @KamiaVasconcelos, and @PrashantRao  :cheers:

Thank you all for the introduction. :up:

Should you have any questions on a specific topic, do not hesitate to create a new thread on the Vietnam forum.

If you are looking for a job, kindly create your CV in the Jobs in Vietnam section.

Best luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

CV section is pretty pointless, most jobs that are listed here are low paid or not real. Only ones you ever see are from the less than legit english centers..

Hello group.  I am a 57 year old guy from Portland, Oregon USA and am planning on moving to Da Nang within a year.  A smile, wanderlust and adventure is what brings me to Vietnam.  Pulling the ripcord to get out of the cube farm early is also a big driver that leads me to your group.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Jim from PDX

Hello Jim, love Portland my daughter lives there. I don't know Da Nang at all but sure it is an easy place to visit. I use the Agoda app for hotels . Renting apartments or houses is tricky for tourists. The expat community is huge there i hear. Good luck and shout for help when you need it!

Bar where are you located in Vietnam?

I lived in Seattle for a bit in Queen Anne area.  My daughter was born in Seattle.

I really do like the PNW.  But ready for a change.

Barrboy wrote:

Renting apartments or houses is tricky for tourists.

Can you explain what you mean by “tricky”?

Tricky means it is technically illegal for tourists to enter into leases i think. I think unless you have a work permit  or temporary residency card etc you can't do contracts. By American standards hotels are cheap like $200 a month(check on Agoda app). I am in Nam Cat Tien.

Barrboy wrote:

Tricky means it is technically illegal for tourists to enter into leases i think. I think unless you have a work permit  or temporary residency card etc you can't do contracts. By American standards hotels are cheap like $200 a month(check on Agoda app). I am in Nam Cat Tien.

Do you have a link stating this, or did you hear it from a friend of a friend who knows somebody.

Barrboy wrote:

Tricky means it is technically illegal for tourists to enter into leases i think. I think unless you have a work permit  or temporary residency card etc you can't do contracts.

That's incorrect. Anyone can sign a lease contract as long as his visa allows him to stay in Vietnam legally ("Foreign individuals who are allowed to enter Vietnam."  Source: Housing Law 2014).  Nothing illegal about a tourist entering into leases -- technically, practically, or literally.

Barrboy wrote:

By American standards hotels are cheap like $200 a month(check on Agoda app). I am in Nam Cat Tien.

By American standards, everything is inexpensive here except cars and electronic devices.

Ok, i am going by what local landlords tell me plus the fact that they would only give me a 2 month renewal on my tourist visa last time. Maybe you can sign a 2 month lease? Good luck, i hope i am wrong and you find a great place!

Barrboy wrote:

Ok, i am going by what local landlords tell me plus the fact that they would only give me a 2 month renewal on my tourist visa last time. Maybe you can sign a 2 month lease? Good luck, i hope i am wrong and you find a great place!

It's not that you're wrong, it's the information you received is wrong. No one has ever been turned down from renting an apartment or a house because they're tourists.  The Housing Law of 2014 said if you're here legally, you can sign a contract to rent.  If you don't want to sign a contract, you can rent month to month. 

Since I became involved with the Vietnam forums, you're the first person who said you cannot sign a lease because you only have a tourist visa.  Granted, I've only been here since April 2017, so if the members who have been here much longer (before the 2014 law) know differently, please correct me.

My nephew and his wife have two places for rent, a house in Saigon and an apartment building in Vung Tau.  He's as a straight as ruler when it comes to the law and they have been renting out to tourists since 2014.  In their absence, I just rented out an apartment to a French tourist last week for a one month trial.  I offered him a contract as a receipt but he declined.

Barrboy wrote:

Are you speaking to them in Vietnamese or English. If its English, you have to take "lost in translation" into consideration.

Hello all, im a French guy having enough of Europpean and middle eastern life style that is currently searching for a nice country, i went to Vietnam a few years ago and it was such a nice country; so im looking for info about this country ; you will see me asking questions haha, thanks a lot for reading

franckisted wrote:

you will see me asking questions haha,

May I suggest that you read first and ask questions later?  Many of the possible questions have already been asked.

franckisted wrote:

you will see me asking questions haha,

THIGV wrote:

May I suggest that you read first and ask questions later?  Many of the possible questions have already been asked.

... and answered.

hahaha i will try ok

Hey group!
I'm headed over in June as a VP of an international school.
I'm landing in Can Tho and was hopeful for either a friendly local group and/or an expat community there to connect with. I've checked FB and there is one expat group but it's not very active.

I do have some questions about the number of meds I can bring over but I have to do a bit of searching on here to see if its been addressed.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Singaporean here.. I have been here staying in HCMC for the past 1 year, life's good.

Just have a kid and got married in Vietnam.

Congratulations!

Closed