New members of the Hungary forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Hungary forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Hungary if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello everyone...my wife and I are retired in USA and soon re locating to Budapest. We have already done the easy stuff for finding residency visa, cost of living, place to live, restaurants, etc. More difficult is finding others like us already living in Budapest to ask them about the healthcare system in Budapest. We already know about the structure of healthcare in Budapest...just looking for feedback from those over 55 who have actually used the system for any serious or emergency conditions.

furnitureman wrote:

Hello everyone...my wife and I are retired in USA and soon re locating to Budapest. We have already done the easy stuff for finding residency visa, cost of living, place to live, restaurants, etc. More difficult is finding others like us already living in Budapest to ask them about the healthcare system in Budapest. We already know about the structure of healthcare in Budapest...just looking for feedback from those over 55 who have actually used the system for any serious or emergency conditions.

Maybe give us a bit more information - do you speak Hungarian, where exactly will you move to etc?

There's quite a lot of experience here - a lot of us regulars here are in a similar age group.

thanks for your reply....glad to hear there is "quite a lot of experience there"...in a city of 1.7 million, we knew there MUST be others who can assist....we speak only English. We have not yet selected a district. I am retired from 50 year career in furniture industry in USA

furnitureman wrote:

thanks for your reply....glad to hear there is "quite a lot of experience there"...in a city of 1.7 million, we knew there MUST be others who can assist....we speak only English. We have not yet selected a district. I am retired from 50 year career in furniture industry in USA

Not advertising but you might try www.helpers.hu.  Others speak highly of them.  I've never used them myself as many of us here are married or together with Hungarians and therefore have our own personal "helpers".   

Not speaking Hungarian is a serious problem here.  I'm a perfectly example.  I've been here for years on and off and I am absolutely terrible but I'm not too bad in German which is not much help whatsoever.  My other half speaks both English to a very high standard and Hungarian perfectly (kids also bilingual).  But even Mrs Fluffy is completely baffled by some of the current goings-on in public administration and she's good at dealing with these people. 

I am suffering from Brexit issues - I'm British.  Previously it was all easy for me  (us).  But now we've entered the Hungarian version of the Twilight Zone.

Your biggest problem is getting the so called TAJ card.  This is your entitlement card to healthcare in the state system.   Without knowing more about your circumstances, it's hard to tell you what you need but generally you need a residence permit, tax number and then a temporary insurance policy.

This insurance policy you might find is absolutely useless when in chronic need but here you should be fine in an emergency.  Everyone should get treated in an emergency.  You just might not have a choice of where.

Thanks for your explanation...all sounds very much like the USA right now....baffling behavior. We have made good contact with various public and private healthcare clinics and hospitals in Buda/Pest. We understand the structure of private and public....now we just need to learn from those "older" residents as to which system is most reliable, where the best doctors practice, where the best equipment is and then how to get access to all that.
we greatly appreciate your reply and opinions.

I just took a look at www.helpers.hu .... great site but really geared for those who have plans for a business venture. But we have already been down that road and will be content to just kick back with wine and song and our keeshond puppy let others blaze the trails to new heights.

furnitureman wrote:

I just took a look at www.helpers.hu .... great site but really geared for those who have plans for a business venture. But we have already been down that road and will be content to just kick back with wine and song and our keeshond puppy let others blaze the trails to new heights.

Not really.  They'll help individuals. Several posters on here have said they used helpers.hu for personal help and said it was useful.  But it's entirely up to you. 

If you don't know, if you don't speak Hungarian or have no-one to help you with the paperwork, you will have a much more difficult time.  Most civil servants do not speak any English at all other than one or two words.  It's really difficult to get through to them and they can be awkward. The rules seem to vary and  bend according to who you are and who you know.  Others will tell you the same.

Example:

I went with Mrs Fluffy's cousin to get the birth certificate of our new born baby years ago.  We needed it pronto as we wanted to travel across a border fairly quickly and need to get our new baby a British passport (Hungarian passports would take weeks but UK passport I could get in days).  Mrs Fluffy was in the hospital with the baby so couldn't do anything to help.   

The registrar refused point blank to issue it.  Even though she had all the information it was a bit fat "NO!".  I could understand that much.  Mrs Fluffy's cousin is absolutely unflappable and as cool as a cucumber.

After a long chat and an increasing look of discomfort on the face of the registrar, she finally said OK and issued the documents there and then!  I never knew found out what was said but it was apparently very persuasive!   My own view is the registrar was just plain lazy.  Said no, just to get rid of us.  But we obviously weren't going anywhere.  It's that kind of a place.

Case of YMMV.  Others will contribute more in the coming days I'm sure.

p.s.  There's a bit of bribery in the public system.  Doctors and nurses get tips for being helpful. Government is trying to stamp it out but it's endemic.  Hungarians "know" the right tipping amounts. Foreigners haven't got a clue.  But in theory, healthcare is free in the public system but it isn't really like it's free elsewhere.

Thanks for elaborating...we knew about the "tips"... didn't see any "personal help" listed on their menu...guess they can be a like a "conceirge" service for newcomers. I will check further....thanks.

we have been reviewing the best strategy for health care...advice from a very helpful agent at Generali (which we cannot qualify for due to being too old) is as follows:
1) purchase the cheap public cover to cover our residency requirements and emergencies
2) in addition, also purchase private cover for both inpatient and outpatient at a private clinic such as these:

Duna Medical Center,

Róbert Magánkórház,

Déli Klinika,

Budai Egészségközpont,

Dr Rose..

We should then have the most cover for the least $$$..
International cover from BUPA, Cigna, Aetna, Prime Meridien, Allianz is wayyyy beyond our budget.

furnitureman wrote:

we have been reviewing the best strategy for health care...advice from a very helpful agent at Generali (which we cannot qualify for due to being too old) is as follows:
1) purchase the cheap public cover to cover our residency requirements and emergencies
2) in addition, also purchase private cover for both inpatient and outpatient at a private clinic such as these:

Duna Medical Center,

Róbert Magánkórház,

Déli Klinika,

Budai Egészségközpont,

Dr Rose..

We should then have the most cover for the least $$$..
International cover from BUPA, Cigna, Aetna, Prime Meridien, Allianz is wayyyy beyond our budget.

Whatever you do, you're going to pay at any of those clinics if you have some very serious medical problem.  Might be affordable or might not depending. 

Others here say that Generali policy is not that useful for many things and obviously the Generali person will be enjoying a commission.   I don't have direct experience of them for healthcare myself.  Some of those other policies are ridiculously expensive. I was looking at them before.  I'm over 60 with pre-existing conditions none of which would be covered by those policies. 

Someone else might notice this thread and throw in their 2cts.

Good evening all,

My name is Steve and I moved to Hungary from the UK in February 2020.
I first came over here for a week's holiday in October 2019 and stayed with my Hungarian friend who I have known for a few years as a customer from where I used to work.
I had it in my mind that I would like to live over here and I bought myself a little cottage with a small vineyard and now I'm quite settled here in Szekszard.
I hope you haven't all fallen asleep reading my story, 😂😂😂😂😂😂

burnbandit20 wrote:

Good evening all,

My name is Steve and I moved to Hungary from the UK in February 2020.
I first came over here for a week's holiday in October 2019 and stayed with my Hungarian friend who I have known for a few years as a customer from where I used to work.
I had it in my mind that I would like to live over here and I bought myself a little cottage with a small vineyard and now I'm quite settled here in Szekszard.
I hope you haven't all fallen asleep reading my story, 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi Everyone,

My husband is American, I am hungarian and we moved to Hungary, Balaton area a couple of years ago. Balatonalmadi is probably not the best place for socializing ( especially in the winter). We have a very hard time finding friends for him. Budapest is probably different for this reason,  but we chose  Balaton for its beauty.
I am very glad to find this group and hopefully some friends too.

You all be well 🙂

Good to hear that we are not the only foreigners here. How do you like Hungary so far? Do you make vine? We moved to a vine making region too, where everything is so beautiful, but not much happening 8 months of the year. Unfortunately, there are not many English speakers around here.

My husband started with Generally 4 years ago and it was pretty awful to say the least. It might've changed since then but when he needed a doctor we had to call a number who arranged the visit with a private doctor in a few days. The worst thing is when you can't wait for days. We had an emergency and ended up in a hospital, which we paid out of pucket ( nearly not as expensive as in the US, but still... why do you have insurance? ) . If you are not hungarian you might not be eligible for the government offered health care. If you ever need to see a doctor, maybe try to visit a regular local family doctor and not some fancy privat clinic. They are surprisingly cheap.

Livia Kretsch wrote:

My husband started with Generally 4 years ago and it was pretty awful to say the least. It might've changed since then but when he needed a doctor we had to call a number who arranged the visit with a private doctor in a few days. The worst thing is when you can't wait for days. We had an emergency and ended up in a hospital, which we paid out of pucket ( nearly not as expensive as in the US, but still... why do you have insurance? ) . If you are not hungarian you might not be eligible for the government offered health care. If you ever need to see a doctor, maybe try to visit a regular local family doctor and not some fancy privat clinic. They are surprisingly cheap.

Errr wrong thread, but that you for your input.

Sorry! I hit the reply button where this was the subject. Wonder, if he sees it...

Thanks anyway🙂

Livia Kretsch wrote:

Sorry! I hit the reply button where this was the subject. Wonder, if he sees it...

Thanks anyway🙂

Best to use the quote button!

Greetings!

We are new to Budapest!

I posted this on another forum bu thought to do it here, too, since we had net yet introduced ourselves.

We will be living in Budapest for the next year. We most likely will be settling in on a flat in the 6th in order to be closer to City Park and cultural events and easier to access everything since we will not have a car. (We had hoped to live in the 2 or 12 because they appear to be so beautiful but they seem quite far away.)

Our children are 8 and 9 and have been playing violin since they were toddlers. They also enjoy playing sports, ballet, choir, chess, and art museums. Would you happen to know of any places where they can join a sports team (club or through a school), ballet classes, chess club, choir, art classes, or be involved in playing in a chamber group? We will be homeschooling so we are not affiliated with a school.

Many thanks for your assistance!

Jeanette

Welcome to this beautiful City. I hope you and your family enjoy the duration of your stay.

Hi All

New to this type of forum and community but not new to Hungary. I am a Brit and reside in UK but also have summer house here (nr Szentendre).

Have been coming here for over 15 years - and now that I am retired, I return to UK Oct-Mar. The connection is my wife. She is a born and bred Brit but her Dad was Hungarian (and a refugee) so loads of extended family here.

So setting up things around me to support my life here and I look forward to Expat being part of that network.

I have one immediate question for this community.

I am waiting on my hard copy Hungarian Immunity Certificate. Its being processed as we speak (just over 2 weeks)

Meanwhile, is it possible/worthwhile to create a mirror on line version via an App ?

Or should i just leave it ?

Cheers

Keith R

Keith R wrote:

Hi All

New to this type of forum and community but not new to Hungary. I am a Brit and reside in UK but also have summer house here (nr Szentendre).

Have been coming here for over 15 years - and now that I am retired, I return to UK Oct-Mar. The connection is my wife. She is a born and bred Brit but her Dad was Hungarian (and a refugee) so loads of extended family here.

So setting up things around me to support my life here and I look forward to Expat being part of that network.

I have one immediate question for this community.

I am waiting on my hard copy Hungarian Immunity Certificate. Its being processed as we speak (just over 2 weeks)

Meanwhile, is it possible/worthwhile to create a mirror on line version via an App ?

Or should i just leave it ?

Cheers

Keith R

Welcome to here.

Better off posting in the other thread.  There's a lot of discussion going on there about people's experience with the cards. Click here for COVID thread....

Hi, can anybody tell me why do you come from GB, USA and other countries to Hungary? What is the REAL reason(s)? Thank you!

Hi Krisztian

It might be me, but I find this an odd question for this community.

Sure its a reasonable (perhaps inevitable) point that would come up in a bar or some other social setting, but I dont understand why someone would ask this to complete strangers across the internet.

It also comes across a little passive/agressive ("REAL") but I accept that this might be something lost in translation.

All the best

Kacc Krisztian wrote:

Hi, can anybody tell me why do you come from GB, USA and other countries to Hungary? What is the REAL reason(s)? Thank you!

What do you mean REAL reason?  All reasons are real.   Can you rephrase your question?  And why do you ask? Maybe create a topic/thread as not everyone will look here.

I want to sale my  27.6.2021June match  Ticket of European football league 2020 which match is located on Budapest Hungary . interested so inbox

Salman jahangir wrote:

I want to sale my  27.6.2021June match  Ticket of European football league 2020 which match is located on Budapest Hungary . interested so inbox

Post it under Classifieds but potential buyers should be sure it's a legit ticket that can be verified and used by a person not named on the ticket.

this tickets can betransfer to another person through email who wants to purchase

Hello to all.
I have just retired and moved, with my Hungarian wife, to a small village about 20km from Budapest.
I am a retired toolmaker and she is a retired RN. We have a house by the river which we are currently renovating. This project has been going on for around five years mainly during our visits on holiday.
We retired in late April and drove here in 26 hours from near Plymouth in UK.
During the past twelve weeks we have been really busy preparing the house and adding necessary storage space as it is not easy getting two households into one, especially when you just cannot get rid of those many items that are now doubled up. Now which one is the best. Oh well, cannot decide, keep them both.
I have always found the Hungarian people to be really friendly and I am very lucky that both of my neighbours are good English speaking Hungarians. I have an extremely basic knowledge of Hungarian which, over the next few years, I hope to improve. One neighbour has offered help and I have taken up the challenge.
I was already in possession of an address card and residence card but due to Brexit, I have had to re-apply for permanent residence. I can only say that I applied on line last Monday, had an acceptance in principal on Wednesday and a meeting with the Police on Friday where it was confirmed. My new cards will arrive within two weeks. I was impressed.
I met my wife in my home town in the UK in 2013. She was a nurse in a local private hospital in the surgical ward. I owned a small toolmaking company, injection moulds and diecast tools, which I had to break up earlier this year as I could not sell. I am now a full time builder of small sheds, fences and flower boxes. I am enjoying it a great deal.
I am finding the 35 degrees a little difficult at times but I just cannot complain. So much better than rain.

peter57 wrote:

Hello to all.
I have just retired and moved, with my Hungarian wife, to a small village about 20km from Budapest.
I am a retired toolmaker and she is a retired RN. We have a house by the river which we are currently renovating. This project has been going on for around five years mainly during our visits on holiday.
We retired in late April and drove here in 26 hours from near Plymouth in UK.

Welcome!  I hope you find plenty of interesting things to do in Hungary. 

Quite a few of us are here with our Hungarian partners.

Welcom to Hungary.
My Hungarian born husband was a machinist. We /he owned 3 machine shops in the US in his working years. Not at the same time however.
He was an expert on the lathe and not too bad on a mill machine either.
Even did set ups for space case me and our son to help out at times.
I know zero to nothing about metal work either.
We no longer work, we retired early and moved to Budapest.
I had a short career as a table games dealer in Las Vegas ( 5 or so years) and had been an off and on again hairdresser most of my working years.
With our last machine shop which was in New Mexico, we didn't purchase new machinery as in the past but bought used from mostly the Sandia Labs. My husband rewired, repainted in machine shop grey, changed many parts out and basically rebuilt all the machines to better then new.
When we decided to call it quits on having the shop( we know the drill, now easy to get first hand jobs and tired of getting the crumbs) he sold the machinery at auction. Wow, that's where the real money is, reselling machines.He had people just about coming t blows over who was getting this or that machine.
The real money is in buying and rebulding for hobby shops and people who are not professinal machinists but want to do their own hobby work. We more then doubled our investment on the machines.Too bad we didn't buy more and make a go of it.

Enjoy your home and again welcome to Hungary.

Hi I would like to do it in 2022

CESAR DESOUZA wrote:

Hi I would like to do it in 2022

What would you like to do in 2022?  Retire?

Yes, retire and move to Hungary. I have been for the last 5 years for 2 months in Hungary.  including, i am going for 15 days in september.  but, I don't want to be quarantined.  do you know if i will need it?

CESAR DESOUZA wrote:

Yes, retire and move to Hungary. I have been for the last 5 years for 2 months in Hungary.  including, i am going for 15 days in september.  but, I don't want to be quarantined.  do you know if i will need it?

Have you been vaccinated?  Maybe better to post in the COVID and Expat thread (click here).

Hi Peter,

Yes welcome to Hungary, I'm fairly new to Hungary myself and this is only the second time I have written anything on the forum.

I can over for a week's holiday in October 2019 to visit some Hungarians from Szekszard who I met in the UK.

In that week I got my residents card and bought a small house with a small vineyard and orchard and then went back to the UK and gave my boss notice that I was quitting my job.

On the first of February 2020 with everything I owned packet into a VW Crafter that I bought for the journey, drove the 1,354 miles to Szekszard from Malton, North Yorkshire with the help of my friend who I bought the van off.

I registered for the covid vaccine a month or so ago and yesterday I received an email asking me to book a date for my first jab which will be next Monday 💉.

Regards

Steve

Kacc Krisztian wrote:

I'm not offened to answer.
My husband of over 46 years is from Hungary, born and raised here.
He escaped at age 23 and found himself in the US where we met.
Over many years we have come to HU to vacation and later spent 6 months or longer helping out my elderly widowed MIL in Erd. ( I'm no saint though)
We never enjoyed working hard which is really the only way to work.
We saw a chance to purchase a flat in Budapest years ago right after finally selling off my MIL place after she passed away.
We put in some of our savings plus a bit she left us and bought our place here.
After 2008 when SHFT and the economy went south in the US we decided to moved to HU for good.
Now we are a bit older and don't even want to say the word,"work".
We can affrd to live alright in Hungary without worry so that's really the major reason we are still here.
I've since found out I have Hungarian relations in my own family line so it's like a second home here now. In fact even thinking of going back to the US to live sort of turns my blood cold.

Hello sir /mam I am sunny kumar from india lives in kingdom of Bahrain  working gulf groups of hotel as a cdp chef. I'm working in bharain last 4 years  I have total  8_9 years  experience  in hot kitchen.and different different  cuisine.. my have done my b.s.c hotel management  form uttrakhnand. India 2011_2014.
I m trying to  move on in Europe  for job. I hope you give me once chance  .
I am prove  myself.
Thank you .

Closed