Prettiest Place in DR

We may as well have this new thread rather than distract from Valerio's requests.

The statement was made that:

The north shore is arguably the prettiest place on the island.

I don't agree with that statement because it is too broad covering many hundreds of miles and there are many ugly parts of the North Shore too imo. I am not alone but it is a subjective view.

On the North Shore I would say Punta Rucia is in a pretty setting and so is Playa Grande and thee are those who like Cabrera and its settings.

For me better pretty places could be:

El Morro, Monte Cristi

Playa Bonita and Playa Coson in Las Terrenas becuse of the close hilly back drop and beautiful beaches.

Playa Fronton and Cabo Samana

Playa El Valle, North of Samana

Playa Esmerelda, Miches

Isla Soana, near Bayahibe

Dunas  de Bani.

Los Patos and neaby by, Barahona province

The hills of San Jose de Ocoa

Padre Las Casas and its mountains and rivers.

I am sure I have forgotten many candidates, but please chip in with those pretty places you like.

Thank you for the info. I am checking around the area of Perla Marina, and adjacent areas  the entire coastline is real pretty . krumite

I love the more rugged coastline of the north coast.  I also love the serene beauty of the south and east beaches.  Parts of the southwest are stunning.

Then we have the mountains.
The dessert look on the way to punta rucia.

Literally this country is full of stunning scenery. 

Some of it what I love is the simplicity.  In other places the sense of power.  Other areas inspire awe! 

I have lived in many areas and travelled a lot of this country.  And still more places to visit. 

In terms of living - it's all about what you need and want!

I had taken a boat to Saona Island and the water was tremendous!

I've been going to Perla Marina for 6 years.  Fabulous place. 

As Lennox says beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I personally disagree with him.

The word pretty suggests to me picturesque pretty and untouched and in my selections I have focused on that.

There are still many such places in DR, but also many places that were perhaps pretty but have lost that innocence and have been over developed or developed badly.

When I was staying on the Silver Coast back in 1983 the area of beach near what is now Playa Dorada could have been described as pretty even old PP. I would not use that term anymore for that area.

The development in my opinion has been poorly controlled. As an example, the section of road from Gasper Hernandez to Puerto Plata is in my opinion downright ugly - and horrible to drive too.

The world fabulous that you use suggests to me a broader liking for an area. Views, beach, accomodation, ambience and community rolled in and I am sure many would have similar opinions to you. I've stayed there and it's good but I would not use the word pretty .I would say the same for Playa Nuevo Romana for example - fabulous and magnificant but not that pretty.

I did not use Las Terrenas which would have been a pretty fishing village in years past but has suffered from poor development and the centre town is off putting whilst the beaches fabulous. The road to the beach through the town is ugly albeit interesting imo. It is however a fabulous resort town overall imo.

In my selection I selected El Morro first. It is stunningly beautiful and known by all Domincans as such. it is picture card stuff - I am pictured there in my profile. Untouched and hopefully it stays that way.

I am glad we are talking about the wonderful options in DR and not just talking to a few well travelled places by expats.

Good piece but very subjective.  As I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree. There are tons of really peaceful and tranquil areas I'd love to live in  (I was in Constanza this past weekend) but one has to be practical in their choice as well.

Being close to a competent medical facility and access to quality shopping rules out a lot of places.

I lived on the North Coast for quite a few years (Maimon) about 20 years ago and as much as I liked it, I didn't have access to the internet or good electricity which really made it a PITA..

So  the term "pretty" means different things to  different people.

All of this is based on our own frames of reference. No one is right or wrong.

And making choices about where and how to live isn't  just about  "pretty" of course.  You also factor in so much more! 

So here in Santo Domingo very little is "pretty".  We do have some pretty spaces, but overall is a big ugly damn city!   And its where I choose to live based on so many other  criteria!