TEFL in Ecuador & cost of living

Hi all -
I am a retired executive living on Social Security Disability Income and a retirement pension in Tucson, AZ.  I am divorced, no kids, one pug.  I am currently living on about $4000 per month (I make about $1000 a month from part-time jobs including substitute teaching and delivery driving).  I am interested in moving to Ecuador to teach English as a foreign language.  I have just started the research process.  I  want to be able to live on about $2000 a month and save/travel with the rest.  If any of you have any comments about TEFL in Ecuador and/or cost of living, I'd appreciate it!
Best regards,
Jennie Floyd

My wife recently earned a TESOL certificate online from Arizona State University. I audited the first section with her. I was impressed by the quality. The cost was about $400.

I would not bother with TEFL certificates issued by unaccredited institutes. They are not worth the paper they are written upon

It appears that 2021 will be another year of online learning.

lebowski888 wrote:

My wife recently earned a TESOL certificate online from Arizona State University. I audited the first section with her. I was impressed by the quality. The cost was about $400.

I would not bother with TEFL certificates issued by unaccredited institutes. They are not worth the paper they are written upon

It appears that 2021 will be another year of online learning.

Paying for quality commonly gets you quality, but you also need that strange thing that teachers must have if they're going to be any use to their students.

A large percentage of the oddball, cheap courses are rubbish, but some offer value for money. My first attempt was with a company that were mostly interested in selling work (They wanted cash for leads), but the 2 day course was a very nice introduction so value for money. However, the certificate is a waste of tree.

Online - Better than average chance

Hi Jennie Floyd,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post in the Ecuador forum to help you to interact more effectively with other members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Regarding cost of living:
Rent is the highest cost. Rent and real estate prices have been falling in general in ecuador,but you will always find some tiny hotspot exceptions. Classical economics explains why: housing oversupply, lower demand. Lots of unemployment means lower demand.

Looking (for instance) for a 3 bed 2 bath for under $600 month will give you thousands of results on sites like properati, olx, fb marketplace. Depending on the location, you will get something between 3 star and 5 star quality for that price, from my experience.
I prefer maximizing value, not luxury.

IESS, the government healthcare system, runs about $77 per month

Private insurance and private health care exists. Prices depend on coverage chosen, age, general health. Only about 20 insurance companies are approved to qualify you for a cédula (ID)

I use the private system. In Guayaquil. A copay costs me $6. A full blood test cost me $22. Generic meds are often available without a prescription. My insurance costs me $36 per month

Groceries run me about 40% less than what I paid in Ohio. However, i buy Ecuadorian brands, not european or US. One will pay a lot more if  insisting on buying imported processed foods

Restaurants. The cheapest lunches in my neighborhood are $2.50 per person. An above average restaurant dinner runs about $15 to $25 per person with a couple of beers.

Brand name clothes cost about double for the same quality. However, tailor made clothes cost 75% less here.

Utilities. I pay $8 per month water. $75 per month electric... But I use AC all the time in Guayaquil. Many people in the mountains pay about $15. Cell phone prepay plans are about $12 per month. My internet is fiber optics, 100 MBPS which I share with the whole building, costs about $55 per month.

I think that covers the basics.

Wow you have it made. All you need is the Ecuadorian wife/maid, wait, you already have that lol 🤡

Jenny:

Are you in luck with consideration of Ecuador.  With your income that you stated, you can live very, very well here depending on where you choose to live.  You really have many things to consider regarding location, beach, big city versus smaller cities or villages.  You need to consider what kind of climate you want.  We live in Loja and love it here but some people prefer the coast and beaches.  I recently visited Ambato which is about 2 hours South of Quito.

It was nice and has about 300,000 to 400,000 people.  Loja has about 220,000 people.  We have lived in Ecuador now for 14 months and really like it here.  This is home now.

Dottorelucas

I'm in a very similar situation as you, except without the pug, so I look forward to responses to your question.

You would be living extremely well, outlandishly well, with that amount of cash.  Halve it and you will still be fine.  Of course, that depends on your expectations of a certain lifestyle

Hello jfloyd123,

Listen to those (myself included) recommending only accredited teaching programs.
Personally, I believe one need consider none other than TEFL and TESOL Training, but do your own research. (Here's a start: https://www.teflcourse.net)

I suggest beginning by contacting the Ecuadorian educational institutions who hire English teachers.
Ask them what they require for credentials and what credentials they recognize.

Good luck!  :top:
Terri

Good Day:

I live in Puerto López. After having my first Cédula for two years I need to apply for a Permanent Cedula . It requires complete medical coverage. Do I qualify for the ÍES $77 Coverage and does it meet government requirements?