Unlimited Single Permit - B type Residence Card

Hello All,

I arrived in Belgium in Sep 2016 and i will complete my 5 years of continuous  work in Sep 2021. So technically i will be eligible to apply for the unlimited single permit (B type residence card).

However the complication is that in Nov 2019 my current single permit got renewed for 3 years till November 2022.

So my question is - In Sep 2021,  can i already apply for the unlimited single permit (B type residence card) OR do I have to wait till end of 2022 when my current single permit is due for renewal?

Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Best Regards
Arpita

You can apply for Unlimited work permit if you worked 4 years here on Belgium Contract but you will not get B residence card.You will get A residence card with unlimited work permit.Card B you will get after 5 years so you have same situation like me so better to apply for unlimited work permit then you are free to work in Belgium for any type of job.

I had the same situation, in short, you can't apply for a residence permit B card when you're single permit is still valid, in your case, it's still November 2022.

However, you can apply for a Long Term Residence D Card, I did the same and got it.

D card: long-term resident's EC residence permit, issued in accordance with
Directive 2003/109/EC concerning the status of third-country nationals who are
long-term residents. It is an electronic card. Type of stay: permanent. The card
has a validity of 5 years.

Can you apply for citizenship after 5 years if you have a DCard?

Off-course you can apply for citizenship with Card type D, as a matter of fact for applying a Belgian Citizenship you should be in possession of any of the one permanent residence card ( B, C, D, E, E+, F, F+).

Hello everyone,
I have completed working for 4 years in Belgium. Based on the above posts I see that I am eligible for unlimited work permit. However, my single permit is valid till May 2022. Does the employer need to apply for the unlimited work permit or can I do it by myself.

Kind regards,

Naveen

Hello, could someone clarify what is the advantage of having unlimited work permit if it's still liked to A-type residence card?
Will residence card be rejected once you stop working?
Thanks.

KonstantinK wrote:

Hello, could someone clarify what is the advantage of having unlimited work permit if it's still liked to A-type residence card?
Will residence card be rejected once you stop working?
Thanks.

I am not so up2date with recent changes but I think the best advantage is that you don't need to re-apply for a new work permit each time you change your job.

Also i think you can get job more easily as your new employer doesn't have to apply for a work permit for you.

Hi,

Can you tell me if we can apply for unlimited work permit by ourselves?

But what will happen to a residence card A when you lose the job?
You have unlimited work permit and card - A with which period of validity?

It seems you can apply by yourself:
https://economy-employment.brussels/sin … -unlimited

Yes, you can apply yourself. Attach all details and mail to the address mentioned. You will get reply in email based on decision. Mine took 3 weeks to get their reply.

Dear reach4bala

I will accomplish 4 years working in Belgium in September 2021. I plan to apply for the work permit indefinite. I now have residency type À with work permit B that will have to be renewed in August 2022.
According to municipality where I live they told me I can only apply for residency card D as of march 2022 ( I came her first as wife of PhD student then I found a job and my employer applied for work permit type b for me)

My questions are:

What is best to do to have a more secure situation:
1- apply for indefinite work permit to have freedom to work for any employer then apply for residency D when I will be eligible for it as per the mucupalicty info I got.
2- wait till August 2022 and get my permit and my residency change by my employer/goverment
3- if I manage to get the indefinite work permit does that allow me to apply to card D earlier than what municipality has told me?
4-if u already have applied for indefinite work permit and for the D card do you now how long it takes to get the answers? Is it a long process?

Am honestly tired of being stuck to 1 job and 1 employer. I feel that all my life depends on it which makes me very anxious and stressed.. So am just looking for ways to make things happening faster but am afraid I jeopordize my chances by trying to force things so that's why am asking these questions and I hope you can help me with some answers based on ur experience. Thanks alot in advance

Thank you so much for your answers

reach4bala wrote:

I had the same situation, in short, you can't apply for a residence permit B card when you're single permit is still valid, in your case, it's still November 2022.

However, you can apply for a Long Term Residence D Card, I did the same and got it.

D card: long-term resident's EC residence permit, issued in accordance with
Directive 2003/109/EC concerning the status of third-country nationals who are
long-term residents. It is an electronic card. Type of stay: permanent. The card
has a validity of 5 years.

Dear reach4bala

I will accomplish 4 years working in Belgium in September 2021. I plan to apply for the work permit indefinite. I now have residency type À with work permit B that will have to be renewed in August 2022.
According to municipality where I live they told me I can only apply for residency card D as of march 2022 ( I came her first as wife of PhD student then I found a job and my employer applied for work permit type b for me)

My questions are:

What is best to do to have a more secure situation:
1- apply for indefinite work permit to have freedom to work for any employer then apply for residency D when I will be eligible for it as per the mucupalicty info I got.
2- wait till August 2022 and get my permit and my residency change by my employer/goverment
3- if I manage to get the indefinite work permit does that allow me to apply to card D earlier than what municipality has told me?
4-if u already have applied for indefinite work permit and for the D card do you now how long it takes to get the answers? Is it a long process?

Am honestly tired of being stuck to 1 job and 1 employer. I feel that all my life depends on it which makes me very anxious and stressed.. So am just looking for ways to make things happening faster but am afraid I jeopordize my chances by trying to force things so that's why am asking these questions and I hope you can help me with some answers based on ur experience. Thanks alot in advance

Thank you so much for your answer

you are eligible to apply Card B or D after completing 5 years in Belgium. Not possible to apply after 4 Years.

Hi Arpita.

Do you have an update on the process? I'm in a similar situation as you.

In December, I will mark my 5th year in Belgium and I understood that I can apply for a residence permit. However, at the commune, they mentioned that this is only possible after my card type A expires in Oct 2022 and also at the discretion of the foreign ministry.

I read online that I can apply for an unlimited single permit. However, I'm not sure if that gives me the right as a resident. (e.g. applying for a mortgage)

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Sim

You can apply for D, if u have paid taxes for 5 years.
I think for B, you have to wait until your A expires.
I went through this method and secured D.
Note: some communes by default think of B, but not D. So, you request for D.

@Hayet Ben Abdallah hi, may i know what  you did in the end? Option 1 or 2? I'm wondering the same. Did you apply for indefinite single  permit or did you leave it to your employer to renew your work permit? Thanks!

Hello,

in regards to this. I'm in a single work permit (A-Carte) but I have an unlimited work contract (meaning my employer will re-apply for the single work permit every few years). In this situation, do you know if I am eligible for mortgage loan?

Thank you

Appreciate your answer
@najlaaalyamani

I think the end date of your card plays critical role for mortgage. Check with few banks / institutions.

Unlimited work permit only allows you to change job without re-processing of a new work permit from an employer (in case you work as an employee).
@najlaaalyamani

If you are applying the loan alone, then the contract end date plays a role and impacts your eligibility.

if you are applying loan together with your partner, then if one of you are having an indefinite contract, that is sufficient. It doesn't matter even if your contract is just 6 months left. Combined income is taken into consideration to calculate the total loan available.

I suggest to get in touch with the bank and get the points cleared.
@KonstantinK

If you have Type A card and if your job ends or terminated, you will legally have right to stay in Belgiun for 3 months. Within that, you either need to start a new job or your new WP has to be applied. Else, the Type A card holder needs to leave the country after 3 months.
I am writing my own experience,

I start to work in Belgium from August 2019 with A-Id Card with limited work permit with validity of 3 years.

This January I apply personally for unlimited work permit and I have the confirmation of it and with that confirmation I apply for extending my A-ID Card and immigration office confirm me only for 1 year.

So as my experience it is not worth to apply for unlimited work permit and goes directly for extending your resident permit at least in this way you get again another 3 years validity 
Hello,

From my experience.

I had single work permit for first 9 months of arrival to Belgium.

I had unlimited work permit later for 2 years + 2 years + 1 year.

I got my PR (Type L) after 5.5 years of arrival to Belgium. My nationality is in-process.
How you got unlimited permit after 9 months? I think one need to be working for four years to request unlimited permit.

Hello ,

I received unlimted work permit on Feburary 2023 .  My present Resident permit card is valid until Jan 2024 only. For to renew my RP card do i need to reapply unlimted work permit again ??  Or any chance to get B card from coomune ?

Till when is your WP valid ?