Whats life like just now?

Hi

My wife and I are considering selling up and moving to Bulgaria. We're interested in the Balkans type of area. We want to be as far removed as possible but still with some community.
The question we have, which is related to why we want out of the UK ASAP; what are the restrictions like in rural Bulgaria? I imagine it to be fairly unnoticeable but unsure.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Hope you get the answers you need - we have come across some very helpful people on this forum, we also are thinking of moving to Bulgaria

Hi unfortunately with this virus, it may prove to be difficult for you to actually get into the country and purchase any properties. The Government here are discussing a total Lockdown and all non essential shops, malls, gyms, entertainments will all be closed. You should do some research to see if the Immigration Offices will be closed as well, Im afraid I dont know if that is the case........

Once everything has settled down then I can certainly recommend living here, its a beautiful country and lots of open space........You can live as rural as you like...but I do suggest that you will need to be somewhere that has a good internet service and some ammenities.

Good luck with your search, Research is the Key........you cannot do enough.

Wow, well that already says a lot. As I'm sure you're aware it's been pretty much lockdown since March here in the UK.
We have a lawyer out there so we'll go through her for the legal side of things.
My main want was to understand what daily life is like. I don't wear masks, I can wear a visor, but still get all kinds of looks, tuts, sighs and an air of more for not being fully masked up. The atmosphere is not a pleasant one! This is the idea I am trying to get a feel for.

Thanks

[Post deleted]

Excellent, thanks. I'm more than happy to take on a project so not overly bothered. As long as the roof, foundations, windows etc are ok, oh and preferably and indoor toilet, all is good.
It's the land and distance from the main cities (far) that I care about 😊

I don't want to wear anything on my face but if I can get away with a visor, happy days

Appreciate your reply, thank you.

Do you think I will pick up the language fairly easily or?

[Post deleted]

Thanks for the warning. I have worked all over the globe and have managers in Czechia and Slovakia just now so language, well aware thanks. Never experienced it from a living there experience except in a small Catalan village but Spanish is a touch easier I think.
The main issue I foresee is being accepted into the community - any insights for that side of it?

[Post deleted]

I am living in the Balkan Mountains near Kazanlak. It's lovely. And happy to recommend it. :-)

Even in my little village, the rules are applied, so mask for the bus and the shop, and currently can't eat/drink inside. But, aside from that things are pretty relaxed.

I think, at this point, with vaccines imminent, seeking out a country house to escape Covid is not really necessary. But, certainly, this year, while the crisis was ongoing, it was much nicer hanging out here in the countryside than staying up in Plovdiv with all those crowds of potential sick people. :-) I have been hiding out here since end February, and it has been extremely relaxing (which was partly absence of Covid, but mostly absence of high school students to teach).

I've been in BG since end of 2017, and have been very surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. :-) Happy to discuss my experiences / answer your questions if you send me a private message.

However, you should bear in mind that we are in the Brexit "transition period" until 31 December 2020. During this time, Brits are still treated as EU citizens, which makes a BG Residence Permit much easier to obtain. I know it's challenging because of Covid restrictions, but if you're serious about moving here, I'd strongly encouage you to try to get your Residence Permit this year.

I've written a detailed post in answer to another Brit looking for a residence permit, so I won't repeat it. However, as mentioned my attorney provides a BG rental contract as part of his 1,000 euros fee, which you'd need as you won't be able to buy a property until next year.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=911816