Building area inside town limits on islands

Hi there. What is the building area allowed inside town limits, for both private and commercial buildings. What is classed as a building, ie :  when is a building not a building? What is the legal requirements before a private or commercial building can be passed? Ie : Should local residents be contacted, so they can have their say before any licences are signed. What is the law with respect to turning your land into a junk yard. In so called Historic areas, where you need special licences passed by the historic society, can you build whatever you like?

Hi Raymond,each piece of land will have its building Coeffient which means how many square metres you are allowed to build on it,town land is obviously more because in town you go up not out,and usually they set the amount of floors,you see sometimes six floors but that would mean they were allowed many metres.My house I just built in the countryside had a coeffient of about four hundred square metres,I built two fifty or lets say I used because my semi basement was ninety.Any left allows you to build garden sheds BBQ etc..As I said before everything is a building even if you place a shed or container,laws have changed and a mechanic will submit plans to the planning department for their perusal and approval,only then are you and your mechanic allowed to build.The legal requirements are that the mechanic is licensed,has designed to the legal earthquake standards,is within the metres allowed etc..etc..Sometimes people living close by are contacted by the council or maybe its a law to contact the neighbors,I know a car mechanic who bought a large piece of land in a country area and built a garage but he wanted it on the road near two private cottages,they forced him with the council to put it way way back out of their sight and hearing,he thought they were cruel I didnt,I never said so as one learns to shut the mouth here,just agree its so much easier.You can go to the appropriate office of your local council who deal with this type of complaint and they can be forced to clean up the junk,they will be served notice to do so,you can also seek address with a lawyer,its not so expensive as in UK.But I did say that you must bring a mechanic,most speak English,I guess you speak Greek.I have a mechanic here in Athens who is a very busy young man,he goes off to islands on jobs,a very good person and not crazy expensive.All mechanics are busy right now making licences for illegal structures before Jan 2021.

To add that anyone has the right to go into the council planning offices where the licence was issued for a building and request to see the license and outline plans of someone else build,maybe with a mechanic or alone and perhaps take away copies to compare what the plan says and what in fact they built.When someone declares their build finished to the council they come and measure your metres on the outline plan to verify all matches up so its not really possible or sensible to add any metres,it must be as the plans and license says and they are extremely picky about that.Mechanics and councils will often I guess do things on islands which they wouldnt on the main land,on Santorini the mayor was tearing his hair out because mechanics were even building without a license,using up every inch of land for tourism.Greece is being totally spoilt by its tourism frenzy,and there is no going back.