How to get an address card

I've moved into a new apartment. I've submitted my address announcement to the immigration office using their online service. I had to do it that way because they have closed the immigration office for such requests in person.

Now I only have my old address card. It's a piece of paper with a stamp on it. I'd like to get at least that, if not a proper address card. How do I request such a thing be sent to me?

thank you

As far as I know, address cards always come in the post automatically.

I have never had one sent to me before, are you a third country national? Like, Canada or the US?

mr.kequc wrote:

I have never had one sent to me before, are you a third country national? Like, Canada or the US?

I'm an EU citizen until 31 December 2020.

mr.kequc wrote:

I've never changed my address but as a 3rd country national I know immigration wants to know where your living. MY address card was sent through their office to my home.
Maybe checking out their web site is in order?
They may be the ones sending out a replacement card as you've moved?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
mr.kequc wrote:

I've never changed my address but as a 3rd country national I know immigration wants to know where your living. MY address card was sent through their office to my home.
Maybe checking out their web site is in order?
They may be the ones sending out a replacement card as you've moved?

I've never had the address card in any other way except through the post.   They give out other permits on the spot (at least for me) but the address card, only post.  I think probably it's all a bit slow because of the COVID19 problem.   

Not particularly relevant here but I'm reading in some other news sites that people stuck in limbo immigration wise in other countries because of the COVID19 issue are being issued with temporary work permits so they can support themselves. 

That's a bit of a surprise.

I think as a 3rd country person the immigratin ffice wants t knw everything and they could be the first place to start. Using the post may possibly be only for EU citizens, I'm not sure but I do know many things are handled at the local city hall but usually it is only for HU citizens or EU members. We 3rd country people are off the radar with some items.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....usually it is only for HU citizens or EU members. We 3rd country people are off the radar with some items.

Yes, for sure. 

As I remember it before 2004 and now I will have the pleasure of it again in 2021.

The people (of the UK) have spoken, the b***ards.

mr.kequc wrote:

I had to do it that way because they have closed the immigration office for such requests in person.

As an EU citizen the last time I changed my address on Budapest I was told that I could do that at any government office ("okmanyiroda") as they'll transmit the change to immigration as well, and the new address card was issued on the spot. I had to bring with me a form completed and signed by landlord, I don't remember if they also asked for the lease contract...

Everywhere I've looked seems to suggest only EU citizens get address cards in Hungary, the rest of us get a stamped piece of paper. I'd be happy with either one, as I just need some form of proof of address.

But this time I submitted my change of address through their online form, because they wouldn't take my appointment at the immigration office. I'm wondering who I should ask, because I don't think they're going to send me one.

I feel that way because the last time I changed my address in person and they forgot to give me the stamped piece of paper I had to ask for it before I left. If I could get an address card that would be even better but I went to the local city hall and they told me to go to the immigration office.

mr.kequc wrote:

Everywhere I've looked seems to suggest only EU citizens get address cards in Hungary, the rest of us get a stamped piece of paper. I'd be happy with either one, as I just need some form of proof of address.

Don't know about that.

Years ago - before 2004 - they used to give you a numbered little brown book like a passport which would have multiple little stamps in it as it was renewed each year.   The number of the brown book was stamped in my passport  and I had to carry them together.  I've still got the brown book - when I showed it to the immigration once they all laughed!  Too old and way out of date.

Maybe the lease or purchase contract for your place of residence would do as proof?  Depends what it's for.  Anything with official looking stamps on tends to float official people's boats here.

Doesn't really help you much. Sorry.

The immigration office ATM is pushing people to do things online but in some cases they still want to see you in the flesh.
Mine was sent in the mail from immigration and I had to pick it up and sign for it at the post office.
My card is exactly like my HU citizen husband's card is, it may depend on what sort of permit you get. I've never been given just a stamped piece of paper for an address card.
A friend of mine here from a 3rd country did some resident paperwork online this past week but still was told to go into immigration with an appointment.
It could also be that her case is different then just a new address card, they want to look at her passport and other papers in person. They want to do a biometric check on her papers.
I'd just double check online with their office or wait it out. Not much more it seems that you can do. Until the lockdown is lifted many offices are slow or closed.

Have you tried asking the immigration office?

If you have already did the online thing to get a new card, it could be they need some time to print it out and mail it. If you've done all you can on your side then it is a waiting game. I fogot how long it took for me but a few weeks at least.They mailed a notice for me to go to the post and pick it up there with showing ID and signing for the card. Good luck, like I said my friend did the online thing this week, thought it was  a done deal as it was just an update on all older paperwork, nothing changed but they still asked for fees and then said she had to appear in person within 15 days or everything would be invalid, she'd lose her money too. Got an appointment online with no problems though.
On their web site it also states that because of C-19 all permits will not be invalid until 30 days after the lockdown is over with. If my friend hadn't jumped the gun maybe they wouldn't of pressed for her to show up in person at this time. Hard to say but yes, it takes some time and out of the blue they mail items.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The immigration office ATM is pushing people to do things online but in some cases they still want to see you in the flesh.
Mine was sent in the mail from immigration and I had to pick it up and sign for it at the post office.
My card is exactly like my HU citizen husband's card is, it may depend on what sort of permit you get. I've never been given just a stamped piece of paper for an address card.

I just looked at my address card and it's exactly the same design as Mrs Fluffy's.   

Post 31 December 2020 (post-Brexit transition) I don't know if or how my paperwork will change.  No-one knows anything about that.   It's pretty pathetic there's no clear information.   It's got to be one of the worst countries I've been in where the procedures are almost undocumented as far as the consumer goes.  I've had residence papers issued in 3rd world countries that are more visible and efficient.

Yes, the info offered in detail online is in Hungarian. How is that going to help ex-pats?
I sort of thought English was an international language for business. could be wrong.
It's a great way to discourage people by making it harder then it has to be.
My husband did his best to hep this person understand the online Hungarian about what the office wanted from them. Sorry to say Hungarian is his first language and he could hardly follow all the double speak and repeated info. Oh well, those of us who are here have worked for it one way or the other, not easy.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, the info offered in detail online is in Hungarian. How is that going to help ex-pats?
I sort of thought English was an international language for business. could be wrong.
It's a great way to discourage people by making it harder then it has to be.
My husband did his best to hep this person understand the online Hungarian about what the office wanted from them. Sorry to say Hungarian is his first language and he could hardly follow all the double speak and repeated info. Oh well, those of us who are here have worked for it one way or the other, not easy.

Totally agree with that.  Mrs Fluffy cannot understand things either.

What they do is quote extracts from the law.  Well thanks for that but it's as useful as a chocolate teapot or rubber hammer.    They really need some communications experts.

I know from working experience that there's two parts to the law and it's implementation  - there's the law itself and there's the interpretation/rule book written by the government organisation charged with carrying out that law.  This is where it goes wrong. 

Often it really needs a flowchart for the person to follow how the rules would be applied.   I am sure we all remember the experiences in the post office or government office where every transaction takes like 10 minutes because people just cannot get the random rules, need confirmation on what to do and keep asking the same questions in a different way.  It's confirm and reconfirm.  Still going on.

In my own country, they have a "plain english" test on any government documentation intended for the consumer.  It has to be clear and not couched in responsibility evading doublespeak.

They need a plain Hungarian campaign! ....I also think they need to produce their documentation in English and German as an absolute minimum.   Nationalist tendencies suggest something else but it's a denial of reality.   

In the UK, many information documents are available in multiple languages (always available in English and Welsh anyway and many in Scotland, in Gaelic too).

I have had several address changes in the past 7 years living in Hungary. All was done at the local goverment office (Kormányablak). Issued on the spot.
I am also a 3rd country citizen, with Hungarian ID now.

I wanted to post an update for anyone reading this and curious. A new address document arrived in the mail. 3-4 weeks after submitting my documents online. It's the stamped piece of paper that I expected, not an address card. But I don't think I can get an address card.

Thanks for your help everyone.

mr.kequc wrote:

I wanted to post an update for anyone reading this and curious. A new address document arrived in the mail. 3-4 weeks after submitting my documents online. It's the stamped piece of paper that I expected, not an address card. But I don't think I can get an address card.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Good info.

Maybe you'll get one if you have a permanent residence card.

Thanks for sharing.