Cyprus Flight Pass

Hi

Here is a technical question - I hope to finally sign a rental agreement this weekend but am still in the U.K. (because I can't get off work until 24th November). I have then booked off until 19 Dec to allow time for the 14 day quarantine on the way back.

I plan to come out ASAP after 24th.

The earliest direct flight is 28th Nov, but there re lots at start of Dec.

I could come via Athens and stay overnight there and catch a flight to LCA next day.

(I queried this with Cyprus flight pass and as long as COVID result is less than 72 hours at time plane takes off in Athens on 2nd day, then that is ok)

But at the moment - U.K. is trending in the wrong direction COVID wise and Cyprus has just updated its list of Cat B countries

Whilst the U.K. is still on that list, all is ok

But if the U.K. moves to Cat C, you need permission.

One classification states “2 - Persons legally residing in the Republic of Cyprus”

I have not applied for the MEU1 (doing that when I come)

But to me, as an EU Citizen I have the right to legally reside.

Any thoughts on that ?

Finally if they grant permission and you take the COVID test in U.K. prior to arriving vs on arrival , do you still need to remain in Cyprus 14 days and isolate.

May as well do test on arrival as cheaper in Cyprus

Thanks

you have the right to stay for 90 days as an eu national but you must apply for the meu1 if its your intention to stay longer than that ... however your right to stay is completely different to right to enter during this pandemic.

if UK is cat c or B  - you cannot take the test in cyprus without being a cypriot national or a legally resident person holding residency here (meu1 or 3) or a diplomat on consular duties/activities - nb you will not be allowed to fly never mind enter if uk is cat c without being a cypriot national or legal resident or a diplomat - also note that if by fluke you got past the uk airline checks whilst in cat c and got here they could fine you €300 and or put you back on the aircraft....  plus special permission is rarely given now and is only for very specific reasons... 

as long as your test complies with the test criteria ie done within 72 hrs of flight departure time on ticket, is negative, uploaded to the FP in time, and result quotes result , actual date and time of test and the type of test PCR-RT all is fine - if you are unlucky enough to be required to do a random retest on arrival at airport you will be required to self isolate until the test result is known *(notified by SMS). In the case of negative all is ok but will have to observe local restrictions whilst here including the current curfew (8pm-5am applicable to both paphos and limassol until the end of November and may be extended and or made harsher if the epidemiological numbers/data dont improve  thats in addition to not being allowed to cross district borders Larnaca to Limassol to Paphos you would be stopped at least twice ( if you ever got that far) at the covid checkpoints... if positive test result you will be required to self isolate for 14 days with a further retest on 12 days and that may be at a CyGov appointed quarantine facility or your home/accommodation

good luck

Also just announced Greece has since been removed from uks travel corridor- so this will need to be considered too....

Another thing as from 18th November a negative Covid test is required to travel between districts even with a valid reason to travel.....

I did not know that you needed a negative test between regions.

I had read I am ok to travel from the airport (Larnaca) to Paphos and visa versa as the accommodation is in Peyia.

But apart from that cannot travel between regions.

I knew about Greece they have already cut some flights.

There is a Ryanair flight to Paphos on 28th but if I pay now and it is already gone up from £35 to £90+
with no luggage.

My gut is to come out using my staff travel on BA to Athens and then come ATH to LCA next day.

According to Cyprus flightpass when I emailed them, as long as the PCR result is within 72 hours of the ATH LCA flight, I will get approval.

But BA flight is 12:20 on 26th Nov

ATH LCA 08:30 27th Nov

Tests go to lab at 3pm so lady tells me to book 2pm test

2pm 24th 0 hrs
2pm 25th 24 hrs
2pm 26th 48 hrs
2pm 27th 72 hours (oh and my birthday 🎂)

She says tests usually come back within 24 hours

But if I don't get result back by late afternoon 25th or morning of 26th then I cannot take that flight.

And with no direct flights until 28th I would waste my money.

If I leave the test until 25th and she can guarantee result within 24 hours, I can still make the direct flight at 06:30 on 28th or come via Athens with another airline a day later.

Right now it is a lot of unknowns.

I would rather be coming in December.

I am praying Cyprus does not stop people from U.K. coming

sadly with  the increasing numbers in UK its possibe the Category could change not just for UK bi for Greece too... also as Limassol locals are demonstrating at what they see as a harsher lockdown than is necessary and that it in itself may increase infections too. I would be watching the Cyprus and Greece news very closely.. as Cyprus normally follows Greece within a week or two

Latest news is that there "may" be a transition extension and thus that would alleviate the urgency this side of christmas... 

Good luck

I had been holding out for an extension and looking at news 24/7 but first I have heard of it as Boris wants out

time will tell

Hi all just have a follow up question regarding the Cyprus Flight Pass and Covid Testing etc.. I have a relative arriving in Cyprus on 28th November.... They are  coming from Ireland : Dublin to Paphos, Even though Ireland is in Category C, I understand that they can land because they are a Cypriot citizen, and reside in Larnaca, they will abide strictly with all self isolation rules.

I have two questions, they can get a covid test at Dublin Airport for €99, and i have advised them to do that as it will avoid them having to wait in Paphos Airport  for the result of a test there (even though the test is cheaper in Cyprus). so my questions are:

1. Am I right that they are better getting the test prior to boarding the plane. and also am I right to say that they can enter Cyprus from a category C country as they are Cypriot citizens.

2. The main problem is how to get them from Paphos to Larnaca. Does anyone know if taxis are exempt from the restrictions, or would it be possible for me to drive to Paphos Airport from Larnaca to collect them, my preference would be to book a taxi for them.

Any thoughts would be welcome...

Jake

1 yes he can enter as a cypriot national from a cat c... as for testing doesnt really matter as far as i can see its personal choice in this case...... although it only takes about 30-45mins for the test to be taken at paphos and he may still be randomly asked to retest on arrival anyway even with a valid test result pre flight - plus only self isolate until test result is known (sent by sms)

2 as long as you have proof of accommodation and flight arrival etc then the taxi should be allowed to pass through although i have not known anyone to have done it ... yet

This article clarifies the position regarding arrivals and travel between districts on arrival and departure

Travel is also allowed for persons traveling to or from Larnaca and Paphos international airports; they must carry with them their travel ticket indicating the passenger's name, the date issued and the flight details.

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/coronav … u0FteTdx3g

Thats great...thank you Toon for the information... Stay safe...

Jake

you are welcome Jake stay safe stay healthy and hope all goes well