Vehicles - Just a thought

So as I've gotten more familiar with the issues of buying a vehicle here in the DR, and going through the (probably usual) challenges I am wanting to ask:

1) Since listed vehicles on 'the list' which are older than 30 years are exempt from tariffs, and
2) Since my late son's business partner was /  is adapt in locating good vehicles in the US at a fine price, and since they would have a) no odometer tampering, b) CarFax reports, and c) known use w/ no title issues.

I'm just interested in setting Thomas to work in prospecting for suitable rides (I have him looking for me),  I just wanted to ask your input as to what  you thought most of potential interest.

Really only trying to get myself a decent ride (after a long trip to SD which was not productive and saw no traction on idea that I'd escrow all money until issues were resolved got no traction), just want to ask where the interest might be as to type of vehicle?

I have Thomas looking for a 90 or older diesel Land Cruiser or similar for me, not looking for a 'buffed' and restored 'classic' but just a good, serviceable ride, maybe a jeep, just doing a feasibility study really.

What do you think folks might be interested in down here if the value proposition were compelling and if the deal were devoid of title gremlins, etc?

Thanks,

JR

I believe the import rules state that a vehicle can't be more than 5 years old.

That's correct vehicles cannot be older than 5 years!

Jay C says 30 yr old vehicles are exempt..... early in his post

Hence 1990 car....is the hunt.... 30 yrs old

You are considering importing a vehicle over 30 years old for personal use!  Seriously?

So it will cost to bring it in.
Who is going to fix it when it breaks down and where you going to find parts?

I don't care where the car is - 30 yr old parts/service will be difficult.

Each to his own..........

Where do I start? 

Short answer: You can import cars older than 30 years as a classic but you have to meet a few requirements. The biggest being you have to pay a flat $3000 tax.

There's a reason very few folks do what you suggest; If it were easy to do, everybody would be doing it.

I suggest you follow the local classifieds.  I barely missed a low mileage 99 Prado 4 cyl. diesel for 4K the other day that was offered by an older gentleman who barely used it.

You can find diamonds in the rough here but you have to have a lot of patience.

Willie - very true!

Jdjones - good post!