Where to live in Vung Tau

Hello,

we are considering moving to Vung Tau and wondering where is the most convenient part of the city to live (quiet but not too far from stores & restaurants). Do you recommend living in a house or an apartment?

Would you also recommend websites, facebook pages or any other online sources to learn more about moving to Vung Tau

Many thanks in advance

Thats a hard group of questions and you will get varying answers. Me, I like to live in a hem(lane) not suitable for everyone. I suggest you come and spend a few weeks here and get a feeling about the place. Dont forget, what one person thinks is good another will disagree.

Agree with Colin 100%.  Every area of this city has its pros and cons, same with apartments vs houses, small building vs high rise.  You need to be here between two weeks and a month in different neighbourhoods to find out which one suits you best.

Alexia1011 wrote:

Hello,

we are considering moving to Vung Tau and wondering where is the most convenient part of the city to live (quiet but not too far from stores & restaurants). Do you recommend living in a house or an apartment?

Would you also recommend websites, facebook pages or any other online sources to learn more about moving to Vung Tau

Many thanks in advance

Is convenience truly your number one concern?

What about quality of life?

For instance, if you really love the beach and you really love the sunrise then you definitely want to be near Back Beach.

If you choose that area then you can look at which housing is convenient for that life experience.

If you really like walking at sundown, then something near Front Beach would be more convenient for that life experience.

Or you could just get a place across from the main market or Lotte Mart and you would have a ton of convenience.

Most expats would advise you to come here first before doing any sort of long-distance searching for housing.

It's highly recommended to identify the neighborhood where you feel comfortable and feel you will thrive.

Virtually impossible to ascertain that from a distance.

Cheers!

There you go.  Three different residents of VT have given you the same answer:  be here to judge for yourself.

As my grandpa used to say "suck it and see" meaning to find out what something tasted like you had to try it ,,, same applies to just about everything.

I'll add -
Even when you think you've found 'your place', arrange to stay a couple of nights (over a weekend) before making any long term commitment.

That beautiful, 5-bedroom pool villa across the street may be rented out to 30 people who party and sing karaoke at 160 dB until 5:00 AM every Friday and Saturday night.  :o

cruisemonkey wrote:

I'll add -
Even when you think you've found 'your place', arrange to stay a couple of nights (over a weekend) before making any long term commitment.

That beautiful, 5-bedroom pool villa across the street may be rented out to 30 people who party and sing karaoke at 160 dB until 5:00 AM every Friday and Saturday night.  :o

OMG! so true, we have rented a place for a house/shop because close to 3 schools was perfect on each visit.

We moved in, there is a beerclub next door and in the evening until sometimes 3am they sit on the street and sing talk and drink - not wanting to get into a crap fight with the locals we haven't called the police on the karaoke noise/singing after 11pm - but have bought ear plugs.
Oh I wish we could have known that fact before signing the lease.

cruisemonkey wrote:

I'll add -

So true.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I agree, it's a personal answer and I wanted different opinions to have a general feeling. For instance, I would have never thought about the villa being rented out for parties/karaoke. This is inconceivable here in shanghai. 😂unfortunately, with traveling restrictions, it's impossible for us to come explore the city before accepting the job offer.

Alexia1011 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I agree, it's a personal answer and I wanted different opinions to have a general feeling. For instance, I would have never thought about the villa being rented out for parties/karaoke. This is inconceivable here in shanghai. 😂unfortunately, with traveling restrictions, it's impossible for us to come explore the city before accepting the job offer.

Noisy neighbors & noisy neighborhoods are a common complaint from ex pats everywhere in Vietnam, well certainly where I have lived, small city, big city & in the country same same. If you have never experienced it you could be in for a shock!! Not saying its every street & sure there must be quiet places but respect for others peace & quiet is just not part of the Vietnamese psyche..........in my opinion & 14 years experience that is.

Alexia1011 wrote:

😂unfortunately, with traveling restrictions, it's impossible for us to come explore the city before accepting the job offer.

You don't need to explore the city before accepting the job offer.  Vung Tau is a good place to live and raise children (if you have children to raise).  It's a reasonably large city that still maintains the feel of a small town so everything is available while the hustle and bustle is not waiting outside your door.

If it's a good offer, take the job, then move here and use the first month to compare neighbourhoods.  A month is more than enough since the town is not that big.  (Well, it's not big in terms of population but the land is quite large if all outer wards are counted.  However, most expats live within the first 4 wards unless they want to go completely local.)

Alexia1011 wrote:

I would have never thought about the villa being rented out for parties/karaoke. This is inconceivable here in shanghai.

The villa was actually rented out to regular weekend tourists from Saigon, but as in many Asian countries, if a group of people is at one place together for fun, they would bring out the karaoke machine at the first opportunity.  In the case of Saigonais, they bring the machine with them in their SUVs to VT every weekend. 

It would've been better if some of them can sing, but unfortunately, the majority of Vietnamese are tone deaf. 

Most regrettably, there's a very well-known adage that encourages people to hang on when they probably would be better off quit.  It goes like this:  "Hát hay không bằng hay hát"  (it's an excellent word play but I won't get into it here).

"Hát hay không bằng hay hát" literally means singing well is not important as singing often.  Ask every karaoke singer why s/he continues to belt out awful music, and I guarantee you the answer would be "because singing often is better than singing well."

BTW, Vung Tau city ordinance dictates that loud music MUST be stopped by 10:30 PM, so most people respect that.  If they don't, a knock on the door is an effective way to bring peace back into your life.

Alexia1011 wrote:

Sure, that's understandable that you can't travel here first.

Just know that temporary housing is readily available at virtually every quality and amenity level.

Ideally (my experience) you can plan to arrive with reasonably priced hotel reservations for about 3 days, using BookingDOTcom or Agoda or HotelsDOTcom.

I say 3 days because you might not like your choice for temporary lodgings, and it will be really easy to switch or extend once you are here.

Just pull up Vũng Tàu on Google Maps (link) and search for hotels or lodging.

I recommend avoiding Airbnb for temporary housing, because usually those listings are overpriced and the Vietnamese are not fully adept at doing the Airbnb thing yet.

There are a lot of horror stories about people getting stuck in a place that's not up to usual standards.

When you find a place that seems to suit your needs, you can then go into your fave travel app and book it.

Meanwhile, you can use Airbnb to get some ideas about long-term rental prices.

Just search for 30 days or more and you'll see the discounted rate, if there is one.

When you are actually here, you can use the Airbnb feature to contact the owner directly and make an appointment to view their property.

There is still room for a further discount from the quoted Airbnb price if you are willing to sign a long-term lease; possibly 20% to 50% off.

There are rental "agents", but these are usually people who can communicate in English, who read the rental listings and then contact the landlord to offer a client, and receive a commission if you sign a lease.

Search for the "Expats in Vung Tau" group on Facebook (there is more than 1 group) and you can see recent property listings.

Hopefully you will quickly make friends with a Vietnamese national who can help you simply because they like to help foreigners.

Good luck!

Interested to know approximate current prices for things like studios (with simple kitchen 30-50m2) and one bed places. Also what about monthly hotel rental rates especially if these have kitchenettes?

The market is all over the place in Saigon due to the lack of an influx of foreigners although most landlords are increasing things like water and electric rates to offset token drops in monthly rent.

departed00 wrote:

Interested to know approximate current prices for things like studios (with simple kitchen 30-50m2) and one bed places. Also what about monthly hotel rental rates especially if these have kitchenettes?

The market is all over the place in Saigon due to the lack of an influx of foreigners although most landlords are increasing things like water and electric rates to offset token drops in monthly rent.

So you want a reply from a rental agent?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
departed00 wrote:

Would rather a reply from someone on the ground with more local knowledge of the real prices....generally try to avoid the agents..

departed00 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
departed00 wrote:

Would rather a reply from someone on the ground with more local knowledge of the real prices....generally try to avoid the agents..

I think your best single source of information will be the expats in Vung Tau group on Facebook.

You should be able to review all the recent posts there and there are many.

I mean I can give you an average guess, fairly well informed, but what would that mean?

Your next step would be to move from generalities to specifics and you can find a lot of those on the Facebook group page.

Searching "lodging" in the city on Google Maps is a great way to get a visual of the hotels and hotel apartments that are available

Good luck

You can stay around Ward 1,2,3,4,7 and 9, within 2km to the beach and closed to everything

Nam21 wrote:

You can stay around Ward 1,2,3,4,7 and 9, within 2km to the beach and closed to everything

So basically Vung Tau area hahahahah

Hodeco Plaza, Near Co-op Mart

Dear friend

I have a friend who just finishes 3 apartments on the hill in the middle of the city.
Have a 180-degree ocean view, fantastic layout, and quality decoration in each one.
First-class appliances, big TV, internet and all the services.
If you are interested to visit the place please send me a message and I will contact you straight to the owner. No agency involved.

Kito Pereyra

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Kitosan wrote:

Dear friend

I have a friend who just finishes 3 apartments on the hill in the middle of the city.
Have a 180-degree ocean view, fantastic layout, and quality decoration in each one.
If you are interested to visit the place please send me a message and I will contact you straight to the owner. No agency involved.

Kito Pereyra

not a great idea to put your phone number on public post,, you will get every broker in Vietnam calling you..

Your right, thanks for the tip !!! Is my first time I did publish an add and again, you're right
Regards

Kitosan wrote:

Your right, thanks for the tip !!! Is my first time I did publish an add and again, you're right
Regards

For anybody reading along, it seems it is legal on this site to post an ad at the appropriate section on this site, and then when a question comes up about housing, you can share the link to your ad here.

I'm surprised more agents don't do that

Kitosan wrote:

Dear friend

Kito Pereyra

Careful with this one. Friend agreed that I can stay, then last minute says she has to make bed, so it's 'not ready'. Then it was 'my daughter has taken ill'. Then says she has to 'make bed and get flowers' for the apartment, so it's still not ready.

I believe her apartments are goona be called 'Serena' (shown on one of the pictures she sent me). It's located on 2 Ngõ 23 - Hải Đăng, Phường 2. Go up the hill about 0.5km and you see the back of the temple Chùa Từ Quang (which is located on Hạ Long) on your right. Apartment building is on your left (directly behind the temple). If you arrange viewing she will tell you to go to David Pizza on Hạ Long, then one of the staff there will show you the way to the apartment building.

Suffice to say, give this one a wide berth guys.

Dear friend,

First of all, I would like to remain you a bit of education when you talk to a Lady and to agree or disagree about the rent of the apartment. Every single sentient being deserves respect and not tough words as you gave it to her......
You ask her to be there for 2 nights in a very unrespectful way, and she has reason to reject your request, as she's the owner of the 3 apartment as you said Serena Apartments.
Next time be sure in a respected forum to tell all the truth and don't talk bad about things you ignore.
On the other hand, she has the right as a legitimate owner to rent it to whom she trusts.
I apologize to the rest of the people in this forum for this episode.
Have all a great week end
Kito Pereyra

Kitosan wrote:

Dear friend,

First of all, I would like to remain you a bit of education when you talk to a Lady and to agree or disagree about the rent of the apartment. Every single sentient being deserves respect and not tough words as you gave it to her......
You ask her to be there for 2 nights in a very unrespectful way, and she has reason to reject your request, as she's the owner of the 3 apartment as you said Serena Apartments.
Next time be sure in a respected forum to tell all the truth and don't talk bad about things you ignore.
On the other hand, she has the right as a legitimate owner to rent it to whom she trusts.
Kito Pereyra

Were you there, or are you repeating what she told you. Unless you were there, your point of view means nothing.

[Post under review]

Kitosan wrote:

Please do not insult other members especially when they haven't offended you in any way.  It's frowned upon at this virtual establishment.

Thank you.

sanooku wrote:
Kitosan wrote:

Dear friend

Kito Pereyra

Careful with this one. Friend agreed that I can stay, then last minute says she has to make bed, so it's 'not ready'. Then it was 'my daughter has taken ill'. Then says she has to 'make bed and get flowers' for the apartment, so it's still not ready.

I believe her apartments are goona be called 'Serena' (shown on one of the pictures she sent me). It's located on 2 Ngõ 23 - Hải Đăng, Phường 2. Go up the hill about 0.5km and you see the back of the temple Chùa Từ Quang (which is located on Hạ Long) on your right. Apartment building is on your left (directly behind the temple). If you arrange viewing she will tell you to go to David Pizza on Hạ Long, then one of the staff there will show you the way to the apartment building.

Suffice to say, give this one a wide berth guys.

Kitosan wrote:

Dear friend,

Kito Pereyra

Since Sanooku went out of his way to basically post a negative review of a specific location/business including details we didn't previously know, I'm glad Kitosan was able to provide some context.

Something or someone definitely needs to be avoided...

Thanks to all of you to be sympathetic to wrongdoing!
Better we keep this forum clean to help each other with our needs.

Wish you all a great weekend

Alexia1011 wrote:

Hello,
Many thanks in advance

Since you didn't receive much practical advice, and being in China you are probably curious to know what kinds of housing is available, here is how to google listings.  This will get you familiar with areas, buildings, and approximate values.

Caveat is that there are too many crooks in Vietnam, not just in real estate, so assume all listings are expired or fake and prices wrong, and wait until you arrive to contact them.

1. Use Google browser only

2. Search for
   batdongsan vung tau cho thue can ho
  cho thue = rent, can ho = apartment
  'Vung Tau' is also listed with sister city as 'Ba Ria Vung Tau'

3. Click on a batdongsan.com.vn page.
There are other real estate sites but I like this one. For others, search without 'batdongsan'.

4. Right-click on whitespace and "Translate to English" which works pretty well.

Then you can hunt around. There is a map button, also use google maps.

I'm not a resident but an ignorant occasional visitor, and at risk of a flogging by forum
Vung Tau patriots:

I would want to live south of Le Hong Phong, the Lotte Mart (supermarket) circle street. That's where most stuff is going on, shops, restos, newer condos for lease.
I wouldn't rent a house, they are too Vietnamese or too expensive if western.

Also look along the Back Bay beach road, Thuy Van, some newer condos among the old hotels.

There are cool buildings hugging the hills along the west shore Tran Phu, but not 'convenient' to
shopping.

Phuong (ward) 6 is the fishing village, interesting but too much squid drying-in-the-sun flavor for me.

I stayed in an Airbnb condo in the Melody buildings, an excellent central location between the tourist beach and downtown, quite new, with kitchens, cheaper versus the beach hotels that I have often stayed at. That is my first-month suggestion.

Avoid: The gorgeous-inside condo building at the beach that has a tacky noisy amusement park in
front, labeled Khách sạn San Hô Vũng Tàu on google map.

Avoid: Downtown and beach hotels that are old. You can tell by the room photos.
Hope that helps!

gobot wrote:

Avoid: The gorgeous-inside condo building at the beach that has a tacky noisy amusement park in
front, labeled Khách sạn San Hô Vũng Tàu on google map.

Yeah, I know a guy stuck on a long-term lease there.

Desperately trying to unload it on anyone interested.

gobot wrote:
Alexia1011 wrote:

Hello,
Many thanks in advance

Since you didn't receive much practical advice, and being in China you are probably curious to know what kinds of housing is available, here is how to google listings.  This will get you familiar with areas, buildings, and approximate values.

Caveat is that there are too many crooks in Vietnam, not just in real estate, so assume all listings are expired or fake and prices wrong, and wait until you arrive to contact them.

Yup, been there done that & 100% agree but will add ..........................dont believe everything you see on the website Batdongsan.com.vn either!!!

There is an agent here in VT that has around 4 staff members who post fake ads, all day, everyday. I confronted him one day when he just happened to turn up at a rental I was looking at. I gave him a gob full of abuse and he  just made out like a statue. Total piece of cr#p.

colinoscapee wrote:

There is an agent here in VT that has around 4 staff members who post fake ads, all day, everyday. I confronted him one day when he just happened to turn up at a rental I was looking at. I gave him a gob full of abuse and he  just made out like a statue. Total piece of cr#p.

Going through that process right now. Saw an add & photos for a place I liked at Cityland Park Hills. beautiful place in the photos just what I wanted. Made arrangement to meet her (really nice lady by the way) at the development & off we go to look at the apartment. 3 apartments later I said "but Ms **** none of these 3 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! its ok she said we go look 2 others. 2 apartments later  I said "but Ms **** none of these 2 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! Oh she said that one is not available. Oh ok waisted afternoon but been here long enough to know how they work. Got home & got a message on Zalo asking if I have any nice foreigner friends I can introduce to her :lol:

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Going through that process right now. Saw an add & photos for a place I liked at Cityland Park Hills. beautiful place in the photos just what I wanted. Made arrangement to meet her (really nice lady by the way) at the development & off we go to look at the apartment. 3 apartments later I said "but Ms **** none of these 3 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! its ok she said we go look 2 others. 2 apartments later  I said "but Ms **** none of these 2 apartments are the one you advertised & I came to see!! Oh she said that one is not available. Oh ok waisted afternoon but been here long enough to know how they work. Got home & got a message on Zalo asking if I have any nice foreigner friends I can introduce to her :lol:

Eventually the truth comes out:

When I was looking for apartments in Nha Trang, one agent seemed to have anything I wanted.

Her answer was "yes" to all my inquiries.

Her profile photo on Facebook was that of an exquisitely beautiful and professional woman.

When we finally met at the apartment, it was a fail for a number of reasons, including no sea view.

She was definitely NOT the woman in her profile photo, and not dressed professionally.

"Why no sea view?" I asked

She replied that the building had sea views, but not that apartment.

"Why the fake photo on Facebook?"

"That's what foreigner want see", she said.

"Nobody want see photo me. Me ugly..."

:lol:

goodolboy wrote:

Buying was even worse.  At least 9 out of 10 that I showed to my wife she said were fake before we even called.  When I did find a house that wasn't priced ridiculously low and we called on it that one "just sold but I have another".  One she called for me was a nice attached villa on a corner lot.  Asked for more pictures.  Sent a bunch of inside pictures.  Didn't look like the house.  Asked him for outside picture.  Not the house.  Asked why he would do that.  He said "owner doesn't want neighbors know that he's selling so we can't use pictures of the actual house" LOL.  Another we called on a lot in An Phu.  It was listed for more than I wanted to spend but good sized lot and exactly where we wanted to live.  Wife calls.  Yes, it's for sale. Bank owned.  I can show it to you tomorrow at 8:00.  I went to work and wife went to look at the lot. It was for sale but the sale price shown on the ad wasn't "really the sale price, it was just there for a starting bid".  She and 20 other people that showed up at 8:00 all had a chance to bid whatever they wanted over the listed price.  No longer interested so the agent tells her she has more lots for sale.  OK, as long as it is near D2.  "No Problem" says the agent.  She then proceeds to drive my wife out to a new neighborhood of bare streets with no houses on it NEAR THE NEW AIRPORT IN DONG NAI!  Dang glad I didn't go on that one or we wouldn't have made it to District 9 before she got an earful.  Finally the land we recently bought wasn't even for sale with an agent but the agent knew the owner was getting ready to sell.  Saw it one day and bought it the next.  So actually both of the properties we have bought weren't listed.

SteinNebraska wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Buying was even worse.  At least 9 out of 10 that I showed to my wife she said were fake before we even called.  When I did find a house that wasn't priced ridiculously low and we called on it that one "just sold but I have another".  One she called for me was a nice attached villa on a corner lot.  Asked for more pictures.  Sent a bunch of inside pictures.  Didn't look like the house.  Asked him for outside picture.  Not the house.  Asked why he would do that.  He said "owner doesn't want neighbors know that he's selling so we can't use pictures of the actual house" LOL.  Another we called on a lot in An Phu.  It was listed for more than I wanted to spend but good sized lot and exactly where we wanted to live.  Wife calls.  Yes, it's for sale. Bank owned.  I can show it to you tomorrow at 8:00.  I went to work and wife went to look at the lot. It was for sale but the sale price shown on the ad wasn't "really the sale price, it was just there for a starting bid".  She and 20 other people that showed up at 8:00 all had a chance to bid whatever they wanted over the listed price.  No longer interested so the agent tells her she has more lots for sale.  OK, as long as it is near D2.  "No Problem" says the agent.  She then proceeds to drive my wife out to a new neighborhood of bare streets with no houses on it NEAR THE NEW AIRPORT IN DONG NAI!  Dang glad I didn't go on that one or we wouldn't have made it to District 9 before she got an earful.  Finally the land we recently bought wasn't even for sale with an agent but the agent knew the owner was getting ready to sell.  Saw it one day and bought it the next.  So actually both of the properties we have bought weren't listed.

OMG! yes you are so spot on, when we were looking to rent 9 out of 10 were fake photos, fake address, even same photos on multiple houses! then when we went to look the price way off!.

We were looking for an out of town cheap place to rent and then sell later or hand down to boys, the 6 we looked at were advertised in a suburb that when we went to look we were driven off 9kms further out in a different suburb and no resemblance to what was advertised.

It was one time where we looked at each other and wondered what planet the guy was on he just carried on as if we had never seen the ad, photo or location.

We stopped at a road side coffee place and was asking if there was any local houses for sale and told the story, they smiled and said yep that happens a lot brokers are full of BS.

I'm actually amazed they arent full of bruises, black eyes and walk with limps, I have no idea how they bluff their way out of it.

I think this should be a sticky to all expats BEWARE BROKERS lol