Dominican Women/Men 2020 edition

Enjoyed the stories of the older thread to see other experiences.

Times changes as the ways of the people!

My thought of recent hardship, some people who lost jobs recently asking for money for odd things not needing to survive or expecting me to send $20 which would cost me x at western union or bank not being in the country.

Also, curious if tattoos are still thought of the same way - negative?

If you dont spend $10 to send them $20, they'll call you 'tacaño'.

Cuidado con las chapiadoras!! Jajajja

thecolonel wrote:

If you dont spend $10 to send them $20, they'll call you 'tacaño'.

I usually do not receive RFM, but if I do I simply tell them no.

If a woman tells me I am a tacaño, I tell them "Mejor tacaño que pendejo"

Really not much has changed here. It VERY much depends where you live. I see so much less of this behavior in the capital then I did in Puerto Plata.

This year,  of course, people are more desperate than before.  We will see more and more requests for money and or "regalos" and crime is on the rise as we head closer to Christmas.

As always, be careful who you associate with.

As a women, do you feel you get same amounts of requests for money and "regalos"?

Yes we often are considered an easier target!   I get it from  strangers, friends,  neighbors employees and other expats.

Ahhhhh......but I am one that's never asked for money.....yet!!!! hahahahaha. It's true everywhere - women are always thought to be the easiest target......

My wife and I were recently contacted by the woman who we get our messages from in Las Terrenas asking if she can borrow $50.00 to take a class in Santa Domingo. Normally we would ignore such request, but we trust this woman and know she would not ask unless it was really needed. Long story short, she sent us pictures of her at class and said she hopes by being able to offer other things maybe she can save her business. Our hearts are breaking for people like her.

Glad you could help.  Big difference between a hand up and a hand out!   You gave her a hand up!

You can WU $10 for 99¢ just send twice
If sending small amounts but $500 up is cheapest way to get money from stateside in your hands.