Bringing a car from other EU contries when moving

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend, brother and I are planning to move to the Netherlands in summer 2021.
Our worries are about car taxes.
Couple of months ago we considered buying a used car (Kia Ceed, 2010, runs on diesel). But since we decided to move to the Netherlands, we saw that it might be an expensive option.
My questions are:
Do we have to pay the import tax, since we are moving from another EU country?
How can I calculate the price of taxes and registration for that specific car?
Should I worry that the car runs on diesel?
In general, do you think it's better to drop the buying of car (because I'm aware that the public transport there is adequate, but I don't know where our jobs will be), or buy it nevertheless?

Thank you all for your replies!
Tot ziens :D

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Owning and operating a car is expensive in the Netherlands, but most do it, so it's not impossible.

There are several things to consider:

1.  Can I park it where I'm going to live?  Particularly in the western cities, car parking can be limited in the towns and cities; do your research.
2.  Do I pay import taxes.  Depends on the age of the car and what you use it for.  The RDW website (link) has the information and links you need to follow to plan what you need.
3.  How much tax do I pay to drive my car.  The Belastingdienst website (link) has the information and links you need to follow.
4.  How much to insure it?  You can get an online quote here (link).

In general, if you decide you can't afford a car, then public transport is excellent in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

You can also move without the car and buy one here in the netherlands. My advice is : no diesel. Lots of city's do not alowe dieseld older than a few years. The fine is high. So i use only regular fuel.
Greating's
Pieter