Escaping N.J. for PR during covid

I have spent the whole pandemic in N.J. along with my family and we are considering spending November and December at our home in PR. We have been under strict quarantine and my kids are starting to struggle. Was curious of any thoughts on what the overall climate of the virus is in PR right now. Am I wrong for thinking we can isolate in PR and be just as safe if not safer than in N.J.? Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

You will be much safer in P.R.   The mortality rate from COVID in NJ is around 200 per 100k, the highest in the nation.  It is around 20 per 100k. in PR.  1/10 th.  There are still restrictions like wearing masks and everybody home a 10 pm but nothing like NJ.

Thanks for the advice! I have been looking at it the same way.

Also, as New Jersey enters the winter season, cases will most likely go up as people won't be able to enjoy outdoors and keep windows open as much. At least in PR you can enjoy activities year round (in a safe manner of course). I agree with wpotvin above, in that PR is probably safer during the next months from Covid. I have a teen son and we also are getting tired of being stuck at home. (In California right now.)  A change of pace and scenery would probably be awesome for your family! I'd stay though February or longer, if I were you! ☀️

@kircordero Thank you so much! I have wrestled with things but keep going back to what you just said; weather! Besides the rate of covid rising with the cold weather, I am concerned of what a winter stuck inside could mean for my little ones. I have a 8 year old with autism and she gets extra stir crazy (all kids do really) so I know the access to beach and hiking would be great. Best of luck to you and your teen I hope Cali is good to you! I am going to go ahead and book our flights.

Best of luck to you! We are hopefully moving to the island next year. Keep us updated on your adventure :)

PR, as well as 41 state, currently are spiking in covid cases.
Flying anywhere means taking a big risk of getting and spreading the virus.
People just don't have patience to wait and to be careful and this is why cases are on the rise and more and more people are dying.
Fresh air in PR is certainly better, but in order to get there you may get a virus and fresh air is irrelevant. Public restrooms are especially dangerous because the virus lingers in the air for up to 14 min and it is found in people's excrement. You can't put a mask on that.
Another thing to consider if the hospitals are better for covid patients in PR than in NJ.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have considered all u said which is what has caused my uncertainty. As far as people “just not having the patience” you can perceive it that way but consider that for some there is more to it than a lack of patience. Not everyone has the luxury to bunker down and wait it out. I know that my family and I are very strict with social distancing and masks and will do our best. The airport thing is scary, I agree! We will just have to take every precaution we can.

Isolate in New Jersey. Do not come to an island that you do not live on full time during a global pandemic. You're not coming to PR to quarantine, you're coming to go to the beach. That's why cases are going up here. Because tourists keep ignoring the rules that say stay home unless you MUST go out for ESSENTIAL reasons.

Additionally, if you are not Puerto Rican, not only should you not travel here during a pandemic, but you shouldn't own land here either.

Respectfully.

yazmina16 wrote:

if you are not Puerto Rican, not only should you not travel here during a pandemic, but you shouldn't own land here either.

You know that investors all over the world buy properties in different countries? How are you going to suppress this and why would you?
Who benefits from selling properties, land including? Why would you take this financial gain away from Puerto Rico?
Keep in mind that investors bring money to the island.
A different issue is how to regulate it. E.g., I personally think that the government needed to step up and not to allow selling the land with a close proximity to the beaches.

yazmina16 wrote:

Isolate in New Jersey. Do not come to an island that you do not live on full time during a global pandemic. You're not coming to PR to quarantine, you're coming to go to the beach. That's why cases are going up here. Because tourists keep ignoring the rules that say stay home unless you MUST go out for ESSENTIAL reasons.

Additionally, if you are not Puerto Rican, not only should you not travel here during a pandemic, but you shouldn't own land here either.

Respectfully.

Harsh, but accurate. The virus spread between countries by the usual method, that being with people. Avoiding unnecessary travel at the moment is probably a good idea.

JF214 wrote:

I have spent the whole pandemic in N.J. along with my family and we are considering spending November and December at our home in PR. We have been under strict quarantine and my kids are starting to struggle. Was curious of any thoughts on what the overall climate of the virus is in PR right now. Am I wrong for thinking we can isolate in PR and be just as safe if not safer than in N.J.? Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

It has been determined that the majority of the break out in PR are due to family gatherings like birthdays and others, in almost every case it was a local coming from the states to visit and attend some gathering.

If you take your test and are negative there is no reason not to come.

JS214, I am glad all is well happy new year.

Hi everyone,

Kindly note that a few posts have been removed from this thread.

Note that political debates are not accepted.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

Yeah ok.    Rolling my eyes

Hi Yazmina, I totally agree with the Covid part I do not understand why people are pouring in PR, while island is spiking cases like crazy. The healthcare is way more limited here than in USA.
But I don't quiet understand your comment about owning land here. Is it some reciprocity? Like Puertoricans shouldn't own land out of Puerto Rico, and nonpuertorican shouldn't own land on island??? Interesting idea....

Just would hate someone interpret your opinions as unmasked covert hate and discrimination :)

Absolutely true! But people don't want to "hear it" . Thats the faith of all facts...

Absolutely true! But people don't want to "hear it" . Thats the faith of all facts...

Sova wrote:

I totally agree with the Covid part I do not understand why people are pouring in PR, while island is spiking cases like crazy. The healthcare is way more limited here than in USA.

Correct. Do not visit PR until you get vaccinated for your own sake and the sake of all other people around. Health care here is very limited. Keep your urge to move around under control. Now, there is a new, 70% more contagious, variant of covid. Can you imagine what may happen on the island? Thanks tourists and visitors...

1L0v3+0+r@v3! wrote:

Yes, it is more contagious, but not at all as deadly.  The media will not share that information because the goal of the media is to cause drama and chaos.

Wrong.
The media's goal is to sell advertising - stories about fluffy bunnies don't get investors queuing up.
Of course, some media is political as well.