Earthquake by Las Terrenas

Just saw there was a 4.6 by Las Terrenas. Is there any structural damage? I will arrive in the DR later this year and this kind of news is a bit worrying. Can anyone give any insight? Thanks!

That is not strong enough for structural damage.

It is on the line of the slip slide major fault line Septentrional Fault which runs along the north of DR from Monte Cristi and out through the Samana Bay. We've been seeing activity with smaller quakes along this line over the past year. but DR gets about 1500 smaller quakes each year so nothing abnormal.

The next 'big one' is probably due soon. Last one associated with this fault was in 1946 and 'big ones' come about every 80/100 years or so.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting devastation but if you google what a  5.0 feels like, Google says: " 5.0 - Unmistakable as an earthquake, this can rattle dishes, break windows, and rock cars. Poorly constructed buildings are at high risk of structural damage. ... Poorly built buildings are likely to collapse."

I've never been to the DR, nor am I an engineer so I cannot speak for the structural integrity of infrastructure there. But I can assume based on your response that the buildings are pretty sound. True?

Buildings here are mostly block and rebar construction.  In poorer areas they are  wood and zinc.

Block buildings are great in smaller quakes.   Wood and zinc will allow movement in the smaller ones and collapse above certain levels.  And of course bad construction is more effected.

A 5.2 here a few years ago, made me jump out of bed at 5am in the morning but no damage but a fair bit of shaking. Near the centre there were cracks reported in buildings.

Much depends on depth and type of ground the building is founded upon. In Las Terrenas it could be rock especially inland and that is better.

I'm slightly relieved. Thanks Lennox and Planner.

We missed the earthquake since we were in Florida last week! From what I hear from our friends and neighbors here in LT, most were awakened by a loud rumble (like distant thunder) and then felt the shake! I didn't hear of any damage. When we returned late last week, I opened the door to broken glass! There was a frame that had fallen off the wall and a few of the other hanging items were a little crooked, but that's the only effect we saw.

I'm sorry to hear about the broken glass and all. But I'm glad to hear that there was no serious damage. Thanks for the response!