Am I allowed to stay in Sweden?

Hi Guys,

I am from the Netherlands (belongs to the European Union) and I am in Sweden for already more than one month and at the moment I am staying at an hotel apartment in Stockholm. Being in Sweden feels so good that i would like to stay here.

About that i have a few questions:

At the moment i still don't have a job here, but even without a job i have enough money to support myself for at least 5 years. I also have a European health insurance card (Blue card).

And at the address where I stay now, I am also allowed to receive my post.

I am also working hard now to learn the language.

Do you think that will be enough to be allowed by the Swedish government to stay and to get a Swedish ID?

And how long after arriving in Sweden are you allowed to stay in Sweden without an ID? Wasn't that 3 months?

Greetings,
Harald

Tjena Harald,

Do you think that will be enough to be allowed by the Swedish government to stay and to get a Swedish ID?

Yes, as an EU citizen who can show that you can support yourself, that would be enough, at the same time you also can apply as a jobseeker or to start your own company.   

And how long after arriving in Sweden are you allowed to stay in Sweden without an ID? Wasn't that 3 months?

Again as an EU citizen you can stay how long you want without a Swedish ID in Sweden if you have your EU ID or passport with you. However after three months you count as a paperless EU citizen in Sweden but it would not lead to anything at all other than the fact that you don't have Swedish papers. If you don't like the term "paperless" you always can take a visit to some other nearby country and come back and renew your states again and again without any limitation whatsoever.

Thank you for your clearance on this finnbo!

But at the website of Skatteverket I just read: "As a citizen of an EU or EEA country you have the right to say in Sweden for three months".

Isn't that in conflict with what you said that as an EU citizen you can stay how long you want without a Swedish ID?

https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelank … f41fe.html

I made an appointment for next week at a Skatteverket location in Stockholm to register myself in the Swedish Population Register. But i am still waiting for some documents coming from the Netherlands that proof my civil status which will arrive i guess somewhere this month. I also don't know for sure if a simple recent print of my bank account from the last month will be enough to proof for them that i am self-sufficient. In case not, do you know if i will get another chance to give them more proof afterwards in case the documents appear to be not sufficient proof for them? Or do you only get one chance?

I also want to start to study here by the way.

In this case, will these actions be in the right or be st order?

1) registering at skatteverket
2) renting a house
3) applying for a study

Or will an other order of action be smarter?

Sorry for the many typos at the end of my post. I tried to correct them, but when i try that i get an error message, so I hope you will understand it nevertheless.   :)

You say that as an EU citizen I can stay as long as I want without a Swedish ID in Sweden if I have my EU ID or passport with me. But what about taxes?

Don't they want me to pay taxes?

Europe.eu says:

"
EU citizens and their family members do not need to report their presence directly after arrival: as an EU citizen, you can move to Sweden without applying for any kind of permit.

Neither do you have to register your residence after three months in the country.

However, if you intend to stay longer than a year you need to register in the Swedish population register.
"

But skatteverket.se says:

"As a citizen of a EU or EEA country you have the right to stay in Sweden for three months."

Quite confusing  :/

Tjena Harald, You finally found the answer by yourself. What skatteverket says is that to live in Sweden as a registered inhabitant.

There are thousands of Romanian and Bulgarian gypsies in Sweden everywhere you go you see them, they are not registered here but live here as long as they want, although Swedish authorities wanted them out of the country for sometime ago they could not do it other than asking Romanian and Bulgarian authorities to get involved in the matter and do something (which they never did). All because of EU rights.   

Don't they want me to pay taxes?

They love it, just wait intill you get your papers done  :D

Renting a place must come before Skatteverket in your numbered order because they need an adress as you know.

Lycka till!

Hello all,

I have been through all this registration struggle as a non-Swedish person so I think this may help some future immigrants.. The Skatteverket site (its English translated pages, from what I know, at least) is a bit confusing on that matter...

In theory, as a working EU-citizen, you can stay for three months (six as a EU job-seeker), after that you have to be registered if you intend to stay for a year.

If you are a job-seeker, a simple bank statement of (or more bank statements of a total amount of) 150'000SEK is enough to show them you are self-sufficient, worked for me. Then, a valid passport, proof of your civil status, documents showing that you have lived there (with someone working in Sweden is a plus), and a health insurance with specific conditions are needed too.

If you're working in Sweden, a work contract or proof that you have your firm will be asked instead of the proofs that you are self-sufficient.

Plus, when you will have applied for a personnummer, do not hesitate to contact by email your handläggare, the person in charge of your application, whose name shows on your letter, I was gladly surprised of the help and comprehension I was shown. They are uneasy to be reached on the phone here in Göteborg but prompt and efficient via emails.

As @finnbo said, don't worry about taxes, you will be reached in due time :)

Hope this has been of help,
Ha det bra !