Vaccinations

Hi!
We are moving to Hanoi when it's possible.
We are getting vaccinated of Hepatitis A and Tifus.
Do you think encefalitis and rabia are important?

Is dengue a problem? We have a one-year toddler.

Thank you!!!

This topic has been covered extensively on this forum but I can't scold you because the search function is so weak.  Still you may want to do a search for "vaccination" or "vaccine."  One word searches seem to do better.

You might want to give serious consideration to Hep B.  Both A and B have an extended schedule over several months so, since you can't move yet, now is a good time to start.  If you need to, you can have the later boosters in Hanoi. 

There seem to be difference of opinion on others like Japanese Encephalitis, Dengue and Malaria.  I don't know about Hanoi but maybe there is less need there for the mosquito borne diseases.  Here is the official US recommendation:  CDC vaccines and WHO

Also you might want to be sure you and your child are up to date on less exotic things like tetanus, chicken pox, MMR, and even polio.  It may be too soon for some of these for the baby though they should be available in Vietnam when it's time.  Pasteur is one of the very few westerners to have streets named for him in Vietnam.

THIGV wrote:

Pasteur is one of the very few westerners to have streets named for him in Vietnam.

:offtopic:  (but educational nonetheless):

In 1975, the name Pasteur Street received the same ill fate as 99% of the streets in Saigon: for absolutely no justifiable reason, it was taken down, erased from the map, and replaced by Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai, leader of the Indochinese Communist Party (predecessor of the current Communist Party of Vietnam).

Sixteen years later, on the 100th anniversary of Pasteur Institute in Saigon, the French government offered the authority of Saigon a grant for the restoration of the Institute.  In return, they asked that the original name was properly returned to the street on which the Institute was build. 

Money talked, loud and clear.  Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai was immediately moved a few km down to take over Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh Street. 

The older generation Vietnamese of which I'm fortunate to be a member never forgets these two facts about Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh:

1- It was the name of the unsuccessful uprising in Nghệ An and Hà Tĩnh Provinces against the French in 1930-1931, which resulted in the death by guillotine of 13 martyrs (my father would've been the 14th person if it were not for the Grace of God, some miscommunication, and the absence of a bicycle on a night of torrential rainstorm.)

2- The street on which Vietnamese Red Cross was established on Christmas Day 1951 was named Hồng Thập Tự (Red Cross).  In 1975, also for no justifiable reason, Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh became the new name for that oldest and most revered street in Saigon, only to lose later to Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai.

So, in the span of 60 years, one of the most famous political movements in Vietnam was struck down twice by the French -- by force in 1931 and by greed in 1991.

You will just need to be vaccinated against Covid.

Thank you very much for all the information!!!! :)

hahahaha

FabriceVN wrote:

You will just need to be vaccinated against Covid.

Probably true.  I would not be at all surprised if once a vaccine is available, proof of vaccination may become a requirement for all types of visas.

Dengue is a problem (I had it last year). Use a repellent with DEET... all the time!

cruisemonkey wrote:

Dengue is a problem (I had it last year). Use a repellent with DEET... all the time!

There is a vaccine for dengue now but it is rather strange.  Just the opposite of most vaccines, it is only for persons like yourself who have already had dengue.   If you have the vaccine and then have dengue for the first time it actually can be worse.  Odd. CDC Dengue

THIGV wrote:
cruisemonkey wrote:

There is a vaccine for dengue now but it is rather strange.

Yes, it is rather strange -
"...for people 9-45 years old...with laboratory confirmed prior dengue virus infection."

I wouldn't qualify on two points: I'm too old and my infection was never laboratory confirmed (besides, I wouldn't want to spend the money; or, 18 months to get the three shots). I'll stick to buying and applying Remos.