Hi Everyone!

My name is Tommy, from Houston, Texas.  My professional experience is in oil and gas drilling, and ex-USAF.  I am semi-retired.  I am retired, but I am also trying to start a new business.  The pandemic has been both a blessing and a curse in this regard.  It has brought the major competitor in the market my company will enter to a halt, giving us an opportunity we did not expect to have.  But, it has slowed our efforts as well.  We persevere.

Anyway, in the interim I am looking to possibly move to the Dominican Republic.  Most of my work, post COVID-19, will be remotely.  Being from Houston, Texas, a COVID-19 hotspot.  I need to know what will be quarantine requirements in the DR.  And, I am concerned with traveling, and becoming infected during the flight.

Wish me luck both with the business venture and moving to the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for 'listening'.

Well me too the forums and the DR.

You will find three threads of interest - all about covid.   One is a daily report of stats one about living with Covid here and one about travelling!  Check them all out and ask all the questions needed on the threads!   

Keep us posted on your progress!

Whilst Houston is bad for Covid-19 I strongly suggest you don't come to DR at present.  I'm really surprised US flights have not been banned.  Stay where you are until things get better and that could be a considerable time away.  Coming here now is sheer madness.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Is it that bad there?

Thanks for the feedback.  And, I will keep you posted on my progress.  One expat there is saying now is not a good time to come because of COVID-19.  They are probably right.  Now is likely not a good play to travel anywhere.

Again, thanks.

MY ERROR FIXING HTIS

It continues to get worse. A country with very little if zero will to enact and enforce the steps necessary combined with the a population that for the most part, either need to work daily to feed themselves and their families, and in general do not fully understand the concept or the requirement to social distance - at least in some regions. Like the in the USA, folks are tired of restrictions. A new government is slated to take office on 16 Aug - but the new Pres is on record for supporting tourism - a very large part of the economy here. While the DR is a great retirement spot, the suggestion to hold off is valid. From an old RCAF/Cdn Army brother...check out the other threads and you'll find many of your questions answered. Cheers..

I scanned the threats shown below.  I see none discussing COVID-19.  Where will I find those?

I am WRONG,  sorry guys! 

I  stand corrected, this is not the welcome forum. I will have your posts PUT BACK!

MY APOLOGIES!

Thanks for the feedback.  Stay safe.

I am having these comments put back. MY ERROR for not realizing that you started your own post!   

To our  posters, I am sorry!

Hello TomElGato,
Welcome to the forums.
My recommendation is to wait for the new administration to take over and fup on the measures they'd need to take after the 16th of August.
I guess the current administration wants just to simply hands over and let someone else to deal with the pandemic.
If you ever want to get in touch with someone in the oil sector, send me a pm

Thanks for replying.  I started another thread to ask the following question.  I will try to delete that thread.

But, is the virus applying pressure on long term rentals in the DR?  I am partial to the Punta Cana and possibly the La Roma areas.

I responded on the other thread honey

Good day everyone.  Security is an important issue.  I am not a total novice regarding the DR.  I have visited a few times, a few days at a time.  I never experienced anything negative.  But, I was with friends and a local person acting as a taxi, guide, and 'security'.  Security, in that he kept us away from the places where we might could get into trouble.

It's been a few years since I was there, 2014.  Since then I have heard stories about tourists disappearing or dying at resorts for unknown reasons.  A recent story, in the past year, was about a woman who was murdered in her home on the northern side of the island.  I think she was a teacher and an expat.  They stole her TV.  Not sure what else they stole.

What is general security like for expat communities?  And, what is general security like outside those communities?

Thanks for the response.  And, thanks for being a contact.  I will wait to see what the new administration is about.  It may be wise to wait to see if we get a new US administration too.

In a typical tourist year over 6 million American tourists visit the DR. Things are going to happen to people whilst on vacation. People are out of their normal environment, it is a different culture. they take risks, they drink, and do just plain stupid things. Unfortunately, for some reason, the media latches on to any unfortunate tourist event here and portrays the DR as "dangerous". Unfortunate but that is the norm with today's media cycle.

We moved to Las Terrenas a month ago and actually feel safer here than being in the US. The most dangerous thing about the DR is the crazy traffic. And that's a fact.  :0)

I have lived in several international locations.  The craziest traffic I have seen has been in Panama.  Though the traffic in Ho Chi Minh City is bad too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Most crime against expats who live here is  from someone they know directly or indirectly. Its all about who  you know and how you behave. 

The rest are just opportunistic.

Anyone who thinks driving is bad in DR have never driven in Bangladesh or India.