Moving to Thailand

Good morning from Alaska.

I am 1 year from retirement and I have a Thai lady friend from north east Thailand. We are looking at places to move to that will allow me to retire quietly and provide her a location for her to open a small shop. I am interested in the Hin Hin/Gulf of Thailand area for a number of reasons. I enjoy beaches but would choose to live away from the busy tourist areas.

My question is can anyone help me with suggestions on possible towns to research? I would like to find a town with enough tourist activity that will allow my lady to open her business but something that is affordable.

Any suggestions would be great. What is the best way to research finding rentals other than arriving and looking around..

Another lamb to the slaughter?

When I worked in Isaan, I remember seeing another Farang looking depressed in my village and as I was the local Farang, the one and only for 20 miles, he said hi.

Turned out he had bought his misses a house, a car and a bike. All his cash. She threw him out for another sucker. Another Farang was living in his house, driving his car... and being bled dry also.

Whatever you do keep your capital safely hidden away. Rent her a place. For your own safety make sure you are worth more alive than dead. Be an ATM fine, but don't give her your capital under any circumstances.

And unless she is a young virgin (extremely unlikely) don't pay any dowry. A local man wouldn't.

As for where, everywhere in Thailand has small local shops hardly making a living. And then there are the convenience chains everywhere. Even in my little jungle village in Isaan there were way too many. A friend married a hard working lady who run a laundry. Much more profitable it seems, but hard work.

Ok you may have met a nice honest hard working lady. But her family may well be greedy scumbags, seen that happen too. Best they know the score. No you, no money. Be worth more alive than dead. Police take 30% standard commission for a suicide verdict. Think I am exaggerating? See the Pattaya news. Always a laugh that.

Well.....Thanks for the cheerful response!!

I hear what your saying and yes that all concerns me. No we are not getting married and no I have no plans on buying anything that is capitol in nature. My plan is slow and easy.. Come to Thailand, rent, vacation...Vacation...Vacation and slowly look around at where to live.

I hope I don't get dressed like a pig and thanks for the incite!

Nemodot is......spot on. As you are obviously not a member of the white mice club, I recommend that you venture very coutiously into your new planned life in Thailand..regards Sunny