Permanent & Temporary Visa Card Waiting Period in Mexico

Hi everyone:

A question.

For those of you who received your visa sticker in your passport and had 180 days to get to Mexico to start the "Canje" process for obtaining your residency card. After arriving in Mexico, approximately how long did it take from the initial visit to the immigration office in Mexico until you were able to go and pick up your residency card?

I realize things may be different now with the whole COVI-19 closure or limited operating hours of government offices, but I am thinking when things return to "normal".

Halfwaytree wrote:

Hi everyone:

A question.

For those of you who received your visa sticker in your passport and had 180 days to get to Mexico to start the "Canje" process for obtaining your residency card. After arriving in Mexico, approximately how long did it take from the initial visit to the immigration office in Mexico until you were able to go and pick up your residency card?

I realize things may be different now with the whole COVI-19 closure or limited operating hours of government offices, but I am thinking when things return to "normal".

Welcome, Halfwaytree,

Once you have visited the Immigration office you just have ro stay on it. Depending on the location the turn around can be fairly fast, In my case, it was slow and I just kept checking.

Now as you noted nothing is normal so we will have to wait and see what happens.

Thank you so much for your input travellight. Much appreciated!

De Nada halfwaytree.

One thing you have to know about Mexico is that it does not operate like the U.S. In the U.S. you would expect some sort of notice about when you could expect a response. You can put those ideas in your scrapbook about the U.S.

Except for primary paperwork the responsibility is yours. If you are unaware that the paperwork is finished and waiting that's your problem as far as they are concerned. I had a new clerk filling in during the holidays and she insisted I pay the fees I had already paid, nothing I said or showed her would convince her otherwise she had no record of it that she could find so that was that.
I paid double. When the regular clerk returned so did I. She knew I had paid and now I had overpaid. She filled out the claim for the overpaid amount. "In two weeks I would have my money". Three months later I got the money. I had been to the hacienda every week to prod them on. Mexico is a face to face place so the internet is for the most part of little help. You go there get your service number and wait.  That's Mexico.

I applied for temporary residency in May 2019 in León, Guanajuato. From "Canje" to finally receiving my card took about 2 1/2 months.
You are given a "número de pieza" and password to a portal you check for the status of your "tramite". I put a reminder on my phone to check every 3-5 days.
We were told if you don't see any activity for 20 days (approx, could be less),  you should go in to the immigration office to check the status in person. Eat a good breakfast and try to be there when it opens because you can spend 1-3 hours waiting each time you visit INM. Take a sweater/jacket even during warm weather; our location usually ran the A/C on super cold.

Thank you Diane36000!

I am glad to hear it only took two and half months.

I can't say enough good things about the folks who post on here, you have all been so helpful.

I hope one day I can be of help to others as well.

Hi "Halfwaytree" and others, it's been almost 3 years we went through the process of canje.
We did the process in Nayarit state (Nuevo Vallarta), 3 visits, internet password for status check, email received from INM...so within 2 weeks every thing completed...maybe just lucky  (August 28th to September 10th 2017...off season of tourists).
The office seems to still be opened so you could check within internet or call...ie the link for the Nayarit offices
https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/nayarit/
Link for all states
https://www.gob.mx/inm/acciones-y-progr … as-del-inm

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC

As always, thank you mexicogc!!

Hi, Halfwaytree.
I started the temporary resident visa process at the beginning of March 2020 and got the visa card at the beginning of May. I made about five trips to the INM office in Oaxaca City from my house three hours away. If you have to travel a long distance, give yourself plenty of time because you'll have to find a place to make copies, Pay a fee to a local bank, eat, find accommodations, etc. Decide beforehand to be in a very patient, go-with-the-flow mindset. I never had any poor interactions with the staff, but they seemed a little irritated that I asked them to speak a little slower so I could follow the technical terms. When a friend of a friend, a local Mexican man volunteered to accompany me, things suddenly flowed like magic. He did not translate for me. He just me small talk. His presence changed the dynamic. I paid him about $40. Hope this helps.