Following your life partner in Puerto Rico

Hi everyone,

If love can move mountains, it also makes people move abroad, in countries such as Puerto Rico.
Following your life partner in a country with different customs and rules is an act of absolute trust and may require a period of adaptation.
This is why we would like to have your opinion to answer these questions and thus help future expats who are preparing to follow the same track by moving in Puerto Rico.

What preparation do you have, or do you advise, to do before your departure in order to make the best of this experience?

What challenges have you faced? In what areas (finding a job, socialization, well-being)? How did you overcome them?

What is the outcome of this experience for you? Would you do it again if the opportunity arose?

Has your relationship with your beloved changed since your expatriation in Puerto Rico? Do you have any advice on this subject?

If your expatriation involved children, how did you manage to maintain a family balance in the face of this life change?

Thanks for your contribution!

Loïc

Hello to all,

I normally would not have the time to answer this... but.. since on lock down I am enjoying doing things differently and taking time to reply to this important post.

21 years ago I was the "trailing spouse" as they say in the relocation world in a Cultural Training.

There I was living in Miami with my Puerto Rican spouse and our 2 1/2 year old... Just found out I was pregnant with our second child and my husband announced his job was shutting down in Ft. Lauderdale; if he wanted a job it was in Puerto Rico with the company.  Of course he was thrilled.. I less so.

Now 21 years ago things were much different and I did NOT want to come here.  But, as life has it, you are always guided where you need to be, not where you necessarily want to be.

Coming here was a huge Culture Shock for me with loss of language, friends and family.  I eventually found out about the Newcomers Club of PR, which connected me and saved me at the time.  Now with the internet and many groups (Internations, meetup, linkedin, etc.), it is easier to see what is on the Island, work from home and join groups. 

I took Spanish classes and  was blessed to be offered a job back then working in a clinic as a Clinical Therapist with Expats and English speaking clients.  I eventually opened my own consultant business and private practice. 

In an effort to be connected, I joined many social groups to stay connected, gym, and learned to find what I can do to love on this Island.  This is a beautiful place to live if you choose to look at it that way.  Always beautiful weather, the people are very welcoming and non prejudice.  They applaud if you try to speak their language and help you if they can. 

I have been very fortunate that I am able to work on the Island in a variety of capacities.  Due to my life changing and traumatic relocation, I became a Certified Cross Cultural Trainer and able to help hundreds over the years that have relocated through Cultural Training Seminars (usually offered to Expats as part of their relocation package).  Also, by learning the language, I am able to connect with the locals and find a nice rhythm while living here.

When I feel the need to get off the "rock"... I travel and come back recharged.  Look for the things you like, get connected and reach out to resources that you can identify with and get help if you need.

Anywhere you live in the world will be things you don't like, and are foreign.  That is how we grow and stretch as a human and learn to acknowledge other cultures and lifestyles.  Puerto Rico was created to make the Puerto Ricans happy, and they are!  Enjoy your journey here and try not to compare, rather learn and embrace.
Namaste...
lynnstravecky.com