What if visa expires before flights are permitted?

A friend from the U.S.A. is in Morocco on a 90-day tourist visa until April 5th. He is wondering what will happen if there are still no flights out of the country by then, or, even if there are some flights, if he's not able to get a ticket that he can afford.

This applies in the short term to my friend, but it could eventually apply to my wife and me if the situation continues. We'd appreciate some knowledgeable information and a link to official confirmation, if possible. Thank you!

-chas

Note: The linked "official confirmation" can be in Arabic (which we can run through Google Translate if we can't follow it) or French (which we can understand). English is fine, too, of course. Thank you!

Someone just forwarded this March 26, 2020, message apparently sent out by the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca. I haven't confirmed this information or the source, however.

------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Health Alert: Morocco Announces Extension of 90-Day Stay Limit
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 06:33:55 -0400
Reply-To: [email protected]

Health Alert: Morocco Announces Extension of 90-Day Stay Limit

On March 17, 2020, the Ministry of Interior announced that foreigners who recently entered Morocco and were unable to depart the country within 90 days due to the closure of borders and airspace will be permitted to exit without a fine (when the borders and airspace reopen), even if they are not in possession of an extension to reside in the county beyond 90 days. Similarly, the Government of Morocco will continue to honor the residency cards of foreigners that expire during this period. At this time, the government is not processing requests for obtaining, renewing, or extending residency cards until further notice.

As a reminder, the Government of Morocco has announced a “Health State of Emergency,” which will remain in effect until April 20, as part of its emergency measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. During this period, movement during the day should be limited to work, shopping, medical care, purchasing medicine/medical supplies, and emergency situations only. Train and intra-city bus service has been suspended and a curfew has also been put into place. During the 6 PM to 6 AM curfew, movement restrictions will be strictly enforced. All regularly scheduled commercial flights to and from Morocco are suspended indefinitely.

chaslaw wrote:

Someone just forwarded this March 26, 2020, message apparently sent out by the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca. I haven't confirmed this information or the source, however.

------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Health Alert: Morocco Announces Extension of 90-Day Stay Limit
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 06:33:55 -0400
Reply-To: [email protected]

Health Alert: Morocco Announces Extension of 90-Day Stay Limit

On March 17, 2020, the Ministry of Interior announced that foreigners who recently entered Morocco and were unable to depart the country within 90 days due to the closure of borders and airspace will be permitted to exit without a fine (when the borders and airspace reopen), even if they are not in possession of an extension to reside in the county beyond 90 days. Similarly, the Government of Morocco will continue to honor the residency cards of foreigners that expire during this period. At this time, the government is not processing requests for obtaining, renewing, or extending residency cards until further notice.

As a reminder, the Government of Morocco has announced a “Health State of Emergency,” which will remain in effect until April 20, as part of its emergency measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. During this period, movement during the day should be limited to work, shopping, medical care, purchasing medicine/medical supplies, and emergency situations only. Train and intra-city bus service has been suspended and a curfew has also been put into place. During the 6 PM to 6 AM curfew, movement restrictions will be strictly enforced. All regularly scheduled commercial flights to and from Morocco are suspended indefinitely.

This is correct.
I have the original paper, in French, with a stamp by the Border Police. Just make sure to buy the first flight out, or cross out to Spain from Tangier (only 14 km away by ferry) and then fly home.

Thank you, Abe123. Would you be able to photograph and post the French document you have? That would be useful to send to my friend.

Thanks again.