Medication in Thailand

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Thailand with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Thailand?

Would you have said that in Thailand drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

When i move here back in 2011, I need very strong pain killers.
But as Thailand have most of them on a list, It was hard to get them, And before i stop using (because, I  now get pain treatment that work) them, I was told no more in the future.

I change my daily medicine for high blood pressure and heart failure and arthritis.
From what i normal buy back home, To Thai / Asia brand name of the same medicine.
I only did that after talking to my Danish Doctor first.

Thai / Asia medicine is very cheap compare to what i was paying for it back home.

Name of the medicine dont matter, It is what in the medicine and the dosage.

Only the strong pain killer was a problem when i move here.
Every thing else have being easy to find and buy.

I did go to a hospital to see a Doctor when i want to change from Danish brand to Thai / Asia brand medicine.

The medicine i buy here, Work 100% same as what i got back home.

So all in all, I am very happy, Get all my medicine, Save a lot of money per month compare  to when i was living back home in Denmark.

Kindly.

In my experience most of the International Hospitals (if not all)  massively overcharge for medicines.  I learnt this over 10 years ago when my son had to have lots of prescription drugs after open heart surgery.  First I had big argument with the hospital that they would not allow me to buy the drugs outside the hospital.  They eventually relented and I filled the prescription outside the hospital for less than half the price they wanted to charge.  It was huge saving because of the drugs involved.  2 years ago the same hospital for a personal visit my Doctor required me to sign a form that I would buy all the medicines from them.  They were implementing this for all patients.  He recommended I move to another hospital where he also takes appointments.  My recommendation is get the scripts filled outside the hospital though this can be difficult for the reason I mention.

Generally speaking OVERALL; medicines in Thailand are substantially cheaper than in Australia,,,unless you are a pensioner because then your medication is subsidised by the Australian government.

Whenever I visit the doctor, usually via a major hospital like Samitivej, I ask them to list the medications on a piece of paper and them buy the generic version as my local pharmacy and it's never been a problem.

So retired and I take a daily aspirin as perscribed by my US doctor , but it seems some one has put the fear of this OTC drug in to the Thai drug stores, the large local Lotus store no longer carries it nor will order it for me ...  any thing else I want like even TUMS come in absurdly small rations , so I find the prices 2x3 times what I would pay in the US as none of the local pharmacies want to sell in bulk 200-300 pills at a time which I can could get any where in the US for pennies a pill , including for Ibuprohen or Acitamitaphen  seems like a bit or a market grab in my opinion by the pharmacy's

hi always been able to get medications I require in my home country
However since moving here have been unable to get a lot of my medications
And the prices are way way way way more expensive then in my home country
I have asked if they can get some of my medications on order but even then it was going to cost me a lot of money to get them

Have you ever had difficulty finding familiar or useful medication in your adopted country?
- No actually. However the dose may vary slightly, or the name of the equivalent. You can by it by piece for most of them. The pharmacist would assit in finding equivalent in case your brand is not available in country.

Have you ever faced drug shortages in Thailand?
- No.

Would you say that in Thailand medicines are more or less expensive than in your home country?
- I am French, and in France most of it is free. However in Thailand the usual medicine is cheap.

Yes, I am having difficulty finding familiar or beneficial medicines for my health in my host country.

I'm here on an ED Visa and insofar as medication is concerned I take Metformin. It's definitely less expensive than in the United States, easier to get because it didn't require a prescription, and was available in bulk.

That being said I'm not too familiar with the laws here. But the pricing and availability, oh and the fact that I can find it at just about any pharmacy is definitely nice.

In the states one needs to jump through hoops to get meds...