Health Insurance

I'm in Sosua and am looking for inexpensive health care coverage.  One co. Required that I go to Puerto-Plata  for lab work and examination.   I made the trip but was told I need to go two more times which is expensive as I can't use the guagua with walker (hip surgery).  Recommendations please.

Can't help you as my provider won't use the clinic in Sosua. 

Check with Angie Wolf as she works with other providers

I purchased health care insurance last year and was never asked to engage in a medical examination. Is this a problem Planner?

There are two reasons for a medical - one is age and the other is pre existing conditions.

Almost all carriers here now require a check up at age 60 or over.  For the company that accepts clients over age 65 (ARS Palic I think) they may or may not have this rule. As far as I know all others require the checkup at  60.

With pre existing conditions it is hit and miss. Sometimes they send for medical checkup and sometimes they do not

Just to note that Maphre has bought a 51% stake in ARS Palic so things may change with that health insurer.

That is interesting!

On another note, changes are happening in the industry in terms of pricing models.

How is currently is:
One price for everyone more or less until age 65.  No differentiation for age, sex,  smoker nor drinking status. YES  differences for pre existing conditions.

Now they are implementing or have plans to implement changes. (as of now no grandfathering)

Age changes:  I was notified that my group will face a premium surcharge at  age 40 to  69.  Then another surcharge 70 to 79. and another over 80.

We are LIKELY to see changes in premium for female vs male,  smoker vs non smoker and  levels of alcohol consumption.   

We will see pricing models  shifting to be more like north America and I assume Europe!  Its coming.

I was 64 when I purchased the health care coverage last April. I guess I should contact my insurer to discuss a medical exam?  Is this a good idea?

No honey if you have the insurance in place nothing more is needed! IT is to qualify for coverage ONLY.

Nice perk with ARS Palic medical insurance  is complentary use of the executive lounge in SDQ in Terminal A.

I am sure that is only with some.plans

Hi!
Just been reading the thread re health insurance in the DR.😊

Just to summarise; can anyone give a quick tip on the most popular or affordable good health insurance which is used by expats or those who decide to move/ live there? 

I'm considering going with BUPA worldwide but there prices seem very high!

Would be great if anyone has any links or names of good health care providers which could cover individuals and/or family cover

Thanks!

The two biggest and in my opinion best here are Humano and Universal.

I personally have a group with Humano.

Price for great coverage is in a d around us 50 to Us 60 dollars a.month.

It only works in the country, not outside.  If you want more info let me know.

Your employer will have to provide the basic insurance required by the law.

We are still mulling our health insurance options. We would like to get one of Planner's....wait for it.....plans. The catch is being covered for trips back to the States for visits, maybe once a year to start. We intend to look into travel insurance, if it makes sense. An international plan would may not make sense given the much higher cost. I don't think we want to be treated for anything in the States since we are cursed with such high health care costs!

:D:D:D   That made me laugh.

Couldn't help it   :)

Hi.  What insurance company did you use?

I was watching an expat couple on youtube who said they have a top tier plan with Universal. They said they have a rider that covers them on trips to the U.S. for up to $10,000.
That would seem to be a handy policy to have....

I heard that I may need a birth certificate and apostilled for health coverage. I only brought 1 for immigration which I think is scanned. Has this been true that we need another copy for health coverage ?

Not at all just passport

Glad to hear that.  :D

Seems confusing. My scenario:
Coming to Santiago next July 2021. Will get married within a year-after long engagement...not a vacation fling ;)
Anyway, I see all of the options on healthcare being discussed I'm looking for good plan for a healthy mid 50 yr old and would like contact info for some providers. Will be coming back to the states 2,3 times a year... pls advise