Madagascar is really the place we would choose to live

My wife and I currently reside in Spain and Madagascar is really the place we would choose to live. We previously lived in Morocco for eight years, after leaving the UK in 2005.
We are retired and wonder how difficult it might be to move there?
We would like to bring a certain amount of our belongings with us, including our Land Rover.
But we cannot find the information that will provide us with the knowledge we need.
Can anyone give us that or some relevant information?
Thanks.
I have a lifetime of knowledge and experience, where I could be useful to an NGO.

Hi Nodrog,

Welcome on board  :)

Please note that i have created a new thread from your post on the Madagascar forum so that members can guide you.

Feel free to read the interview of Mark here, you will most certainly benefit from his experience : Mark in Madagascar: "I love the people here"

Regards,
Bhavna

ask your question here https://web.facebook.com/groups/469843093731622/

We are planning on moving there too Nosy be to be precise.
Currently looking for long term accommodation and it is hoped that we can move by Aug.
Presently we live in Europe.
All the best with your move.

I have never heard from Mark again from the posts here or in our  e mails.  His last post went this way.What if you've expected to "live forever" and have not made any arrangements for your corpse after death? Do the Gasy just bury you somewhere? Or are you used for pig feed?
Legal issues about an expat's body once deceased
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 12#4001299

House Tour-in Tanamakoa Tamatave. What will you get for $850 or 750 euros or 3,000,000 ariary or 15 ,000,000 Franc Malagasy. Utilities not included. Generally the locals will quote prices in Franc Malagasy. Residents and expats who have integrated into the Malagasy lifestyle will also use Franc Malagasy. Tourists or other newcomers ( NGOs...etc) to Madagascar will use the Ariary. The locals can adjust to both but in some cases the price is given in Franc and the new comer thinks in Ariary and thus will over pay by 5 times. I did the exchange rate into Dollars and Euros for convenience purposes. I should add that the numbers are usually given in French numbers, such quinze (15) Million Franc , though the franc is not normally said it is just implied, or trois (3) million Ariary and here again when the Ariary is used it is usually mention to say Ariary in the price as it is not a normal way to offer as a price, however in Malagasy it would be translated into telo(3) Tapitrisa ( million) Ariary. And to throw one more element into the numbers conversation, different tribes and sub tribes and their accents use different numbers that even confuse the locals when they speak with each other.
https://www.facebook.com/alex.zaves/vid … 082500958/

Land Rover and Range Rover are not reliable. It might be painful to admit it, but the evidence is clear to see. That said, it's main competitor Jeep isn't too good either. It's mainly down to the amount of modern technology that is now in the cars 
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/how-reliable-are … nge-rover/

you need to buy a car that can be repaired in Madagascar and easy to find parts.

If you speak in French on a English site, the moderators will delete your posts.
You could also buy a made in Madagascar car for Madagascar roads called the Karenty

@Madacouleur : Please post in english only on this english speaking forum please.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I am still in the States awaiting COVID vaccinations and their potential effects...Supposedly, by November-December vaccinations will be given to 90% of the population - both the first and the second shots- I will be in a more definitive position to determine when I will be traveling abroad. It seems that most likely will be by early spring of 2022. However, I am torn between Tanzania and Madagascar. I like Tanzania, although I have never been physically there, because of its vast open land, its biodiversity, kind people who are not afraid to talk to foreigners, a growing economy, a fairly good proportion of paved roads and of safaris, the Zanzibar scenery, political security, and a seemingly lower cost of living...for instance, I have seen advertisements for house rentals in Dar es Salaam that is 2/3 less than that of Madagascar. And Dar is the most expensive area of Tanzania. I am not referring to discount-looking houses either. I am talking about a mini-mansion with an ocean view  Madagascar on the other hand, offers, seemingly, a beautifully lush environment, lots of wildlife, a higher cost of living with limited amenities... But Madagascar has also a higher life expectancy. Madagascar seems to have some internal ongoing turmoils and a higher social sensitivity propensity...I am of French-Haitian origine so Malagasy culture would not be too foreign to me. My parents migrated to the states when I was a child and I grew up in New York City...Later on, moved to up the State to raise a family...My kids are now grown, out of college, am divorced, and newly retired. I would like to spread my wings towards a new horizon. My expertise is in economic and community development and would like to put it to use in a developing country...Any advice, anyone??

I have not been to Tanzania so I can not offer a comparison.  I would suggest and you most likely have already considered this is to visit both countries to see which one is more suited to your liking.   I suggest you post this question on the French forum as you will get much more information as some members there have also been to Tanzania.

Come to Madagascar. This country needs someone with the skills that you have. I like to help  People.... It seems like you do too.  I'm waiting from my vaccination also before I go To Madagascar. I'm from the US ...we can't enter the country  of Madagascar Because of how badly my country has handled this pandemic... Thanks to Donald Trump. Thank God he is gone... Our new President Joe Biden is a great man, he will restore respect throughout the world again. I love the Malagasy people........ I find great joy helping them because they are so grateful and more. I look forward to the day I get to be in Madagascar.... Living the simple life In happiness.

When was the last time you were in Madagascar and where -Tana?  What were you doing here back then to help the Malagasy and in what field of service. that gave you such joy in helping them, I am curious because I am helping out  in the educational sector.

You can come to Madagascar (when the borders open again) from a country that is not the USA.

Why can't a person from the USA go to Madagascar?

Yes, why?

A person from the USA can go to Madagascar,  The USA was on the red list for nonentry a few months ago because of the increase of covid cases.  There were many countries on the red list, not just the USA.  Right now however Madagascar is not open to Tourists or even residents at this time because of the second wave of covid cases in Madagascar.  When the borders open again is not known at this time.