Adopting a pet in France

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in France.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in France?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in France?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in France? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Brexit MAY make it harder to travel between France and England with our pets.  We shall know in a few months.  I have had dogs all the time I have lived in France - now nearly twenty years now - and have travelled between the two countries in car and ferry or tunnel with no difficulty - although it is of course much more expensive than flying.  A pet passport guarantees that your pet is not carrying rabies or worms and is essential.

In all, I have adopted 6 dogs.  Since I am quite old now I tend to take on older dogs that no one else is likely to want.  This means vet bills do tend to be rather expensive - but the delight of seeing a sad or timid dog turn into a calm and happy, well-fed companion far outweighs the cost for me. 

Of course, one also has to say goodbye when they are too ill or old to recover quality of life.  I have lost three in the past eighteen months - and that is a consideration. Taking on a dog brings sorrow as well as happiness. Training a dog to be safe and obedient  is also something that needs to be done.  That takes time and effort but is worth every moment!

Most refuges do charge quite a hefty fee - especially for younger fit dogs. It can be as much as 250 euros.  It's a pity, I think, because it means that a poorer person who would love to rescue a dog is unlikely to be able to pay - but the SPA is so desperately in need of funds these days that it is understandable, and it also weeds out the unscrupulous or those who would take a dog on a whim without really taking proper responsibility for it.

There are many, many cats and dogs in need of loving homes.  I do hope people will consider carefully if they could help make an animal's sad life much happier! Doing so brings a great deal of joy to the human too.