Maximum experience for Senior Software Engineer in Germany

I have experience of 18 years in application development in Software and worked in different positions in India as  developer, senior developer, lead and project manager. I would like know whether there is any maximum experience for senior software engineer  position in Germany. I have applied for senior software engineer jobs in Germany and many of  them are getting rejected.  Please let me know

Dear,

There is no minimum or maximum. But European societies need official proofs. And it's also the fact that your diplomas/experiences must be validated officially.

So, if you want to be considered, go first through that system:
- ENIC-NARIC
- EU-BLUECARD

No employer has a "maximum experience" rule. Rather, they will look at whether your experience and skills fit the job requirements. A major portion of that is German language skills, which are required for any role involving communication with customers, partners or colleagues. The few jobs that don't require it are at constant threat of being outsourced to cheaper locations like India.

Hmmm. I agree that there is no such thing as “too much experience” yet there doesn't seem to be an issue of age discrimination in many fields in Germany. People over 50 are statistically much less likely to get hired. For fast changing fields it might be in question if they are really up to date with the latest trends and methods. And people near 60 might not be seen as good long term prospects since they will likely be retiring in a 5 to 7 years anyway.  Yet even such things might be overcome if one makes an outstanding impression.

But my personal assumption is that many foreigners don't understand the cultural norms and don't come across as the right person; either too arrogant or too timid for example. And part of this might be a lack of really good communication skills. A German manager is going to expect a potential employee to speak German or if English is the accepted working language for the job, then to speak it on a high international business level.  Speaking with a strong Indian accent and using a lot of Indian slang that others don't understand makes a bad impression. I know that one can argue that India has its own dialect but it's not going to make a good impression. And one could say the same for an American from the deep south or someone from the Scottish highlands; they can often have such strong accents that people won't feel comfortable trying to communicate with them.

phipiemar wrote:

There is no minimum or maximum.

Well actually there are often minimums. Many employers will want to see at least few years of experience, more for senior positions, and to get a blue card one needs to have at least 5 years working in their professional field.

TominStuttgart wrote:
phipiemar wrote:

There is no minimum or maximum.

Well actually there are often minimums. Many employers will want to see at least few years of experience, more for senior positions, and to get a blue card one needs to have at least 5 years working in their professional field.

Hi,

Of course you always need a minimum of experience for a position of responsibility. But there is no defined legal framework for this. Except when it's for a job in administration.

Regarding the blue card, the official five-year rule is simply to screen potential candidates.