Will I have to live in a cardboard box?

Hi.  I am looking at a possible re-location from Canada to Brisbane and all looks good, but I am a bit concerned about the cost of living.  I would be moving with my wife and 5 year old son so am looking for a reasonable family neighbourhood with good schools, ideally close to the water.  Any advice?  What does $500/wk get you for a rental property in Brisbane?  Is the Manly area reasonable?  Thanks for any return information!

go to domain.com.au and search the brisbane / manly area for rental properties, you will be able to see exactly what you can get.

Hi and welcome on board olsonk!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

i think the site given above would assist you.

I think Holland park is a nice option

So what have you decided?

hey mate,
i live in Redcliffe Peninsular. rental around $320/w and location not far from water (walking distance) my house about 400m to water BUT 20km away from Brisbane CBD

F

I live in Bulimba, about 6K from CBD. It's a family area on the river, has a city cat stop and good schools, which all make it highly desirable. Parking in the city is very expensive so most people commute on the city cat, a fast speed river ferry service, a nice stress free way to travel to and from work.

I'm from the UK and by comparison we found it more expensive to rent here. We pay $535 per week for a small 3 bed 2 bath town house. We're getting a good deal because we've been in it for two years. Market price is around $650.

In Bulimba  a 4/5 bed 2 bath - you can expect to pay from $800 to $1400 per week depending on position and condition. An executive home on the river can cost $2,000 per week.

Brisbane is a flood plain, i was caught up in the 2011 floods. Brisbane is hilly, so in many river suburbs, some streets were inundated and not affected at all. Brisbane council has detailed maps. I blogged about the floods here flippingcrikey.com/2011/01/14/flood-diary-part-1