Information about potentially moving

Hi.
I just want to get peoples opinion. I'm from the uk and my husband really wants to move to Dominican Republic. We have two young children under the age of 4. He wants to move to the expat area and has forwarded me info about how safe etc and is so much better than uk. I have a good job here with very good friends and family around here to help with kids. And my hesitation would be giving that up and also my job.
Can people give me their experiences of moving with young children to Dominican Republic and giving up a lot to move. My husband is now wanting to move for work, But believes it is a better lifestyle. He hasn't found a secure income to support us apart from my rental income.

I would not give up a good job with good friends and move to a foreign country with 2 children and a husband who has dreams of an idyllic paradise. It has the potential for much regret. Try spending a long holiday here to get a taste of this life. Adjusting to the culture, the language and the climate are just a few of the big changes that await you...

Steverino has it!

Agreed

Welcome to the forums!

First Steverino is right, don't give up anything until you know this is right for you.

It is very hard to get a good paying job here. And without good income you cannot live here comfortably especially with young kids.   

It is a wonderful country in many ways.  Is it safer then UK, maybe.  It is in some areas. It would depend where you live and how.

Why does your husband want to live here? What area? What would he do to make a living?  Would you all qualify for residency?  It's really not that simple as make a decision and move

Steverino is correct

The advice given is spot on.

As a travelled expat and a Brit who has been living in DR for a long time, and has lived in the Caribbean with young children when at your age in life, I can assure you that you would find it tough in an English speaking island with other similar Brits around. But to come and live in a Spanish speaking island, with very few resident Brits and not that many anglophiles in reality, will make life very difficult and strain relationships after an intial buzz of tropical living.

My advice that it isnt easy would apply to any British expat family even those relocated here by their company with full expat benefits to cover the expense and residency essentials plus schooling. And then a professional arriving on chance with good Spanish will not find decent paying work here from experience and even if you do then high taxation applies. There is plenty of competition from qualified locals for decent jobs with low pay so dont get your hopes up and even then you need residency for that work.

Search the forum for Steverinos 'Expat Fatigue' thread to get some wider opinions of expat life here.