Domestic Help

Hello All. Could someone advice me on what is the ongoing monthly payout for domestic helps and if there are any agencies that can get this done. Professional and safe being the moot point. Best Regards - MV.

muravis wrote:

Professional and safe being the moot point.

"Moot point" means the matter being discussed is not important.  You don't really mean to say it doesn't matter that the person who works for you doesn't behave professionally nor is s/he "safe" (I think you meant trustworthy), do you?

Not everyone is a native speaker. Anyway, it's the 'salient' point.

From what I have seen on Facebook, housekeepers/cleaners are asking for as low as 70k vnd/hour, although I would certainly pay more if they did a good job.

I have never heard of any agencies for personal cleaning, just for offices. Most people rely on recommendations from others for this sort of thing.

johnross23 wrote:

Not everyone is a native speaker.

And neither am I.  That's why I checked the poster's profile before making the comment.  English is spoken widely in India and it's one of the 3 languages that form the foundation for general curriculum from lower secondary school to the last year of high school.

muravis wrote:

Could someone advice me on what is the ongoing monthly payout for domestic helps and if there are any agencies that can get this done. - MV.

In Saigon, there are many agencies that provide domestic help.  The rate varies depending on the number of hours as well as the term of service (short term or long term).

Here are the lowest and highest rates, taken from one agency's published chart: 

-  2hrs/day, 2 days /week, 8 days/month:  60k/hr or 960k/month
-  12 hrs/day, 7 days/week:  234k/day or 7M/month

Other rates are available, but there are too many for me to copy.

If the employee works more than 6 hrs/day, owner provides the main meal or an extra 300k per diem.  If the employee works more than 10 hrs/day, owner provides 2 meals or an extra 500k per diem.  (That's the labour law in VN.)

If child care is added to housekeeping duty, extra charge will be incurred.  However,  the duty for lived-in domestic help covers everything that needs to be done, child care/elderly care included.  The rate for lived-in domestic is negotiable between owner and agency.

Extra pay will be added as per mutual agreement if English language is required for communication.

Owner pays the agency fee (varies, based on the length of the contract).

The employee is vested and trained by the agency with guaranteed good health, good characters, good attitude, no police record, and the ability to carry out the daily duty.

Hello Ciambella - Thanks for responding. Linguistic interpretations, fineries and nativity not withstanding - yes it is an important and critical component of decision process. As for "Moot Point" I am hoping the point 1 here assists in any future post readers understanding - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moot_point

Thanks and I did manage to scrape through all the years somewhat successfully if not gracefully in my humblest of opinions. Please do see my other response with a valid URL pending moderation to get to understand the context of usage - it is always good to learn I am told. As it happens English is not my mother tongue as is yours - and by virtue of speaking 6 languages (English being my 3rd Language of enlightenment when growing up) tend to use more archaic forms to communicate at times.

One, I've read the article which actually shows that the meaning of the word has stayed more or less the same over time, its very slight nuance notwithstanding.  Two, same as you, English is neither my mother tongue nor my first foreign language, so the difference between us is nought.  Three, let's not continue on this discussion as it doesn't seem to be a productive conversation so far.

I've given you the information on domestic help.  If you need the names of the agencies or the links to their websites, let me know.  The websites are in Vietnamese but it's not too difficult to understand the gist of the matter.

Ciambella wrote:

One, I've read the article which actually shows that the meaning of the word has stayed more or less the same over time, its very slight nuance notwithstanding.  Two, same as you, English is neither my mother tongue nor my first foreign language, so the difference between us is nought.

To the extent that there is a difference, it looks like one of those British/American things.  It is natural that as an Indian citizen muravis would lean toward the British definition of "open for discussion" and Ciambella would favor the American idea of "no longer practically applicable."  Recall the excellent (and probably apocryphal) line by George Bernard Shaw of "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language."

Bonjour je serai à ho chi minh city d'ici mi novembre alors je recherche un travail . comme nany, aide domestique,garde d'enfants, ménagère mais je suis caissière de profession .pour tous ceux qui pourront m'aider à trouver un job des mon arrivée merci

Nguemfo Antoinette wrote:

Bonjour je serai à ho chi minh city d'ici mi novembre alors je recherche un travail . comme nany, aide domestique,garde d'enfants, ménagère mais je suis caissière de profession .pour tous ceux qui pourront m'aider à trouver un job des mon arrivée merci

Veuillez utiliser l'onglet "Emploi" en haut de la page pour proposer votre service.

En outre, si vous souhaitez continuer à converser en français, utilisez plutôt le forum de la langue française, s'il vous plaît:  Forum Vietnam

i've seen a discussion about this before ... however, since i never really felt like there was ever any real conclusion:

What about employing an elderly neighbor? What would be the pros & cons of employing a neighbor ( I tend to have a preference for elderly people ).