Church or Bible Study?

Hi Friends,

I'm new to the forum, and respectfully hoping to glean some perspective from anyone who may be invested or rooted in Curitiba.  I realize the cultural climate in virtually every modern city is secular in nature.  That said, I'd appreciate your thoughts, insights on the potential need/interest of a new international church (baptist, interdenominational) or even, on a smaller scale, of a weekly Bible Study? 

I'm envisioning a small, but growing group of multi-national people who unite in faith conviction around the Christ (Savior), with a simple focus to grow in our knowledge of God's love for us, and to learn to love God and one another better.  Is there something like this in Curitiba at the present?  An interest?

I'm in the early phase of exploring this possibility of planting an English speaking church in Curitiba through the International Baptist Convention (internationalchurchplanting.com/).  At a later date, we may visit for a more in depth look.  I'm born and raised in the U.S. and have had the privilege of serving as pastor for two international churches (Taipei & Bratislava).  My wife, Amanda, is Brazilian, born and raised. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Brandon

I have a place in Curitiba and did not find an English church. Below is an older post (sorry not Curitiba) but mentions the Baptist Church.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=481048

Hey thanks Friend.  I see you're from Texas, too? What brought you to Curitiba?  My online search hasn't turned up any English speaking churches for Curitiba. 

Any idea if there are specific areas of the city where Expats tend to reside?  When I lived in Taipei there were two general areas that were expat central.

Good evening.

theDurhams wrote:

Hey thanks Friend.  I see you're from Texas, too? What brought you to Curitiba?  My online search hasn't turned up any English speaking churches for Curitiba. 

Any idea if there are specific areas of the city where Expats tend to reside?  When I lived in Taipei there were two general areas that were expat central.

Good evening.

Hi. I lived in CTBA but there was no particular concentration of expats on any neighborhood. No English
speaking religious denomination I know of. The Igreja Universal is very popular and its nationwide
but only in Portuguese.

What you´re thinking would be a great catalyst for a new demographic religious approach. I wish you
luck!

robal

Hello my brother.
I am pastor Edward from Kenya, am a kenyan and married with 3 children, i am in my country kenya, i will be coming for a confrence in Sao paulo on 2nd of Dec for a week and return home around 12th Dec.
Since I already have a visa, i would like to visit and stay with a godly family (speaking english) in Sao for at least one week or two weeks before i join the confrence and return hom on 12 Dec, i will appreciate your help or hosting.
My phone is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
EdwardFedha wrote:

Hello my brother.
I am pastor Edward from Kenya, am a kenyan and married with 3 children, i am in my country kenya, i will be coming for a confrence in Sao paulo on 2nd of Dec for a week and return home around 12th Dec.
Since I already have a visa, i would like to visit and stay with a godly family (speaking english) in Sao for at least one week or two weeks before i join the confrence and return hom on 12 Dec, i will appreciate your help or hosting.
My phone is ***

Sorry Edward but giving personal info in an open forum is not allowed for safety purposes. You can PM someone with that info though...

Thank you, noted

There does seem to be a need/interest in the area for such a church. There are a few churches that have an international focus, but most of them are in Portuguese.

There does seem to be a need/interest in the area for such a church. There are a few churches that have an international focus, but most of them are in Portuguese.
-@BryanBrock

You may check our this resource firstchurchlove.com for more info on the religoius matters. There is also a growing English-speaking expat community in Curitiba, so your church would likely be well-received. I think it would be a great idea to visit the area to get a better understanding of the culture and local demographics.

Curitiba, Denominational Faith...

Ok, bare tacks...

1. There are a lot of denominational Churches in Brazil, Baptists included. Specially in Urban Centers. You have some serious competition. 
  2. if you want to pick up on establishing an English Speaking Church in Brazil may I recommend you to go to the source or one of the many trailblazers that came and went . Bob Robbins and his Sao Paulo's Sampa Church .  https://www.sampachurch.com/    He and his wife, Martha,  came out clueless, clang to his resolve, had his miss and hits. Non denominational Christian Church. Give him a ring to get advice and war stories.
  3. You want to expand your flock, English is nice as a novelty, but you will need, at some point,  to address your flock in Portuguese. You can use English as bait, or fringe benefit for membership sponsoring brethren.  Or a side profit making gig as an English School ,  for the Parish attendees.
  4. Heck even the ordained Catholic Priests here knew they had to address in Portuguese. My old Parish, we had an Italian Priest, shell shocked from WWI, and he spoke Portuguese with a heavy Italian Accent. God know i suffered through his sermons, specially during the Summer Sunday Mornings ( no A/C ).
  5. Parana, and particularly Curitiba, and specially  Prudentópolis, are big on Ukranians.  The Russian invasion is not showing any signs of letdowns  Some Denominational Christian Churches in Parana started to sponsor Refugee Ukranian Families about a year ago. A few families returned to the motherland.
  6. According to  Julia Ioffee ( some lengthy interviews on PBS Frontline, she seems to have a good read in the mind  of the Politburo  leaders )  , a Department of State analyst,   and Peter Zeihan's own channel ( he is into Geopolitics ) , the madman of Moscow is not letting in up any soon . He is going to torch the place like Nero before he surrenders. The war will rage. 
  7. You will need backers from the US Motherland.